Millennium Eastern Caribbean - Opinions of past cruisers?

42trvl

Hi -

Wondering of those who have done this cruise, what you've thought of it. We're considering for next Spring - late April. Has anyone sailed with kids? - were there other kids on board?

Our kids will be 10 & 12, and we did recently do a Western Caribbean on Summit with them, which we all enjoyed.

As an aside, we are also thinking about trying an RCI ship, but really enjoyed the Summit, so while curious about RCI, also a little wary...

Thanks.

Millennium was absolutely our best cruise. Since we sailed in October, not many children were on board. I'm sure it would compare alot to the Summit so if you enjoyed Summit I would say you would like Millennium. We hope to be back on it next year. Whatever your choice, enjoy and have a great cruise.

42trvl, We were on the Eastern, Oct 2002. This is when there was a stop at the out island, Catalina. What a beautiful beach. It was one of our most enjoyable days but now this destination has been cancelled. St Thomas, San Juan and Nassau were the other stops. Destinations aren't real important to us, just take me away, anywhere that's warm. We stayed in Cabin 9056 before these were CC. Loved the room, had great service by room attendant and waiter. Actually nothing went wrong the whole week, a perfect cruise. Hope yours is the same. Sounds like you will be traveling with children. Would love to hear your views of the Millennium's childrens program. In a couple of years we will be looking for a cruise for family and grandchildren and Celebrity will be at the top of the list if children's program is good. Anything else you would like to know, I'll try to answer. Life is good.

Sandy Beach - thanks again. Obviously, can't speak yet about Millennium kid's program, but I would assume it's not too different from Summit's. We did Western Caribbean on Summit in April - a couple of families. By then our deck 9 rooms were CC, and we really enjoyed. As for the kid's programs, we were very pleased. Can't compare to much as we have only sailed on Disney before, but we all enjoyed the Summit much more. I think it's a very personal opinion, and I'm not quite sure how to put it, but we liked the "quietness" of Celebrity. We felt there was still plenty to do for everyone, but it was not so overwhelming. When the kids went to the program they were very happy with it, as were we, yet there was also plenty to do on our own together - ping pong, basketball, board games, chess, backgammon, etc. And while there were a good number of kids on board, you never felt that the ship was taken over by them. In my opinion, as a parent, it was the ideal combination - they were happy, yet we didn't feel like we had to sacrifice on a very "nice" cruise experience just to please the kids. So, I would think that Celebrity would be a nice option for a multi-generational cruise.

I've also heard a lot of people on these boards raving about how great the larger Royal Caribbean ships are for families, but don't know if I'm convinced yet how much we will like that experience after Celebrity...

Hi we just did this cruise April 18-25. We enjoyed it. Yes, there were allot of kids on board. We traveled with my son, but he's 14. The kids on board were all really well behaved. They seemed like they had allot of fun.

We were suppose to be on Millennium, but they switched ships on us and we were on Infinity. Both ships are terrific. We had already been on Millennium twice before.

You could try Royal Caribbean if you want to, but personally, my family and I are trying to stick with Celebrity if we can.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Celebrity Zenith - NYC to Bermuda

Premier Big Red Boat II – 7 Night New York to Canada/New England, August 2000
Regal Empress – 5 Night New York to Canada/New England, August 2001
Celebrity Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002
Celebrity Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003
Celebrity Infinity –7 Night Eastern Caribbean, April 2004
Celebrity Zenith – 7 Night New York to Bermuda, August 2004

Cruising Chick - on our cruise too, kids were well behaved, which isn't what I hear about some of the other cruise lines. I guess that's one nice thing about Celebrity not being as specifically targeted to kids. We're doing Summit again this summer in Alaska, that's why the curious part of me is thinking maybe we should try something different next Spring. On the other hand, I get a little nervous about the crowds and activity level on the RCI ships, and wonder how much we'll enjoy it. Even our kids tend to like "mellower" crowds. What have you heard about the Voyager class ships in terms of the crowds? I know they have a lot more activities - wonder if that's really necessary as we had a fine time on Summit, and if it just adds to the "commotion."

By the way, did your son go with you on the European cruise? - we'd like to try that one day...

Hi 42trvl,

Yes, our son has been on all our cruises with us. Last year's European cruise was spectacular except if I ever did it again I would not go in August. If you could go in June or early July I think it would be better.

I have many friends who have been on the Voyager Class of Ships. They have all said good things about them. They are bigger ships than the M class and have allot more people on them. They tend to cater more to "active families". We have not ruled out trying a Royal Caribbean cruise, but every time we look into one it's more expensive then the comparable Celebrity cruise. Which we don't understand. Plus we also like less commotion.

I think you would have a great time doing either Celebrity or RCI, but I'm partial Celebrity and the M class ships myself. I wish they would build another one and keep in in that new Port in New Jersey all year long. If NCL can sail all year out of NY why can't Celebrity?

You'll have to tell me all about Alaska. We are thinking about and most likely going to do Alaska next July. We will probably book on board the Zenith this August when we cruise to Bermuda that way we get on board credits.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Celebrity year round from the NY area would be great! We love to travel, yet flying is becoming more and more of a hassle, especially if you just want to cruise. I'm sure there would be no shortage of customers if they ever offered that.

Thanks for the tip on a European cruise. Ideally, fall would be a great time to go, but with kids we need to think about school.

If you want to check back on these boards in mid-August, I can let you know about Alaska - or you can give me your e-mail. We will be spending some time in Alaska on our own, then doing the Summit southbound to Vancouver and spending a few days there before flying home.

I'm very interested in this post! I am knocking around the idea of switching to the Celebrity Millenium next April 23rd/24th (E. Caribbean) from the Diamond Princess. I have a few minor concerns...one of course being the kids' program. Do you think that there would be enough kids on board to run the children's program? Also, I hear that sometimes Celebrity changes ships on you? I'm not as familiar with Celebrity, and curious why that might be? Any advice would be great.

Also...we're not considering Carnival or RCI at this time. We've been very happy with Princess and the more subdued atmosphere (less kids, partying, etc). I feel that Celebrity's Eastern Caribbean itinerary AND level of service is very intriguing. Thanks [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call. Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall. You've seen it all, you've seen it all." Jimmy Buffett

Cruises:
RCCL Song of America May 1994
Grand Princess April 2003
Golden Princess April 2004

Next Cruise:
Diamond Princess April 2005

I'm not sure if there will be that many kids on a cruise April 24. I don't know the ages of your kids, but I doubt there will be too many school age kids on board since Spring Break will be well over with by then.

The kids program on the whole is good but also does depend on the number of kids on board.

AmyBeth - being from NJ, it looks like you have the same Spring breaks as we do, and that's the same sailing we are considering, since we liked the Summit so much. We did a Western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity's Summit the last week of April just a few weeks back. The majority of spring breaks are done with by then but there were still a number of kids on board. For us and our kids not having a ton of kids was a good thing - there were still enough for them to have fun, but it was very low key. It looks like Celebrity combines certain age groups when they are less crowded. But my understanding is that they will still run the program. It is however, a big consideration if your kids are looking for a lot of other kids. I did notice that there were a good number of younger kids (under 7 or so?) - ours were 9 & 11, and were in separate groups (7-9 & 10&up). But the ship was still so pleasant, that even when our kids weren't in the program we found enough to do together.

As far as the switching ships, I know Celebrity did that when one was having some problems and needed servicing, they substituted another ship for that itinerary, because they needed the ship elsewhere? Not sure of the details, but I think it's a relatively rare occurrence under special circumstances.

Where in NJ are your from?

I live in CT and we do have Spring Break April 18-22, but then it would be over by the April 24th Sailing.

I didn't realize that NJ had Spring Break so late, I would have assumed it would have been earlier.

We too wonder why it's so late...Has been the last week in April for a few years now. On the one hand, it's nice to go away after most of the crowds (and rates tend to drop a bit too), but on the other, seems like it's so close to the end of the school year and they do very little work from then on.

19 members of my family will be on the April 24th sailing of the Millennium. I am hoping that there won't be a lot of children but we do have a 10 year old traveling with us so I do want to have some kids her age.

We sailed at the end of April last year on the Century and there were a few kids but not a lot. It was a great trip.

I love the Summit and am looking forward to sailing on the Millennium.

We'd love it if any of you joined us. The more, the merrier. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Patricia

Patricia,

We are currently booked on that same (4/24) sailing, but still debating on whether or not to try RCI's Mariner. We will be on Summit for the second time this summer, and wonder whether we should just stick with something we know we really like (assuming we're not disappointed in August), or try something different. If we stick with the Millennium, our son will be 10 (we will also have our 12 year old daughter with us). Have you ever sailed on a Voyager class ship to compare to Celebrity?

Yes...our Spring Break is very late this year. We typically have break around the Easter Holiday but for some reason they switched us to late April this year? Our school year runs long...my kids don't finish up until next Thursday! So maybe they felt that Easter was too early next year?

Anyway..thanks everyone for the great information. I'm being very fickle with our next cruise. I'm booked on the Diamond (Mexican Riviera) but I really feel like cruising the Caribbean again next year. So, now we're looking to switch to the Millie or the new Caribbean Princess. I have always wanted to try Celebrity, so this might be the answer. Plus it's a different itinerary than the Eastern we sailed this past April. So, that gives Celebrity the edge. On the other hand as returning cruisers we do get on board credit with Princess, plus we only had to put down $200 to hold the ressie! So...it's a toss up right now. I'm torn [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. The children's program on Celebrity seems wonderful, and I'm sure there will be enough kids on board to make it fun. I'd prefer fewer kids to having the ship overrun [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] LOL.

"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call. Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall. You've seen it all, you've seen it all." Jimmy Buffett

Cruises:

Next Cruise:

I have sailed on Celibrity ships several times, and also on RCCL's "Explorer of the Seas," and would say that if you want to take your kids along, they would probably have more to do and more fun on the "Explorer." My wife and I like Celebrity, and they probably have an ok kids program, but it cannot compare to the "Explorer" class of RCCL ships. They have rock climbing walls, in-line skateing track, golf course, ice skating rink, free ice cream machines, video game arcade, etc., etc. The ship is bigger and wider, and altho it carries more passengers, you never feel crowded because it is SUCH a huge ship, that there is so much room. It was the most beautiful ship I have been on in my 9 cruises. They have a kids program there, that is so good, that you didn't even see the kids all day except at the evening meals. I don't know where they take them, but you don't see them, and thus, it is nicer for the adults around the pool, etc. You might want to read the reviews on the RCCL boards, and see if they don't agree with what I am telling you. Good luck and bon voyage!

It really all depends on the kid(s). My son couldn't care less about a rock climbing wall or an ice skating rink. RCI cruises are more expensive then Celebrity for the same itineraries. I guess they need to pay for the rock climbing wall and the ice rink. Also I heard that now they are charging a "cover charge" to get into the 50's style diner they have on the ship.

If your kids are VERY active and like minature golf, ice skating, rock climbing, etc. then go with Royal Caribbean. If your kids are more laid back then do Celebrity.

On another note our kids are getting out of school next Friday, 6/25 because of all the snow days we had, so our April 18 vacation seems like ages ago.

Thanks, Bovs for your insight. Those ships do look and sound amazing. I bet it would be a unique and wonderful experience. However they are really not in my plans right now. I honestly feel that the Grand Class ships (Princess) are the largest I'd cruise at this point. Also, my kids are not into rock climbing, video games or in-line skating... yet [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. They will be 7 and 5 at the time of our next cruise. They just need a quality children's program where they can do arts and crafts, talent shows, slumber parties, etc. Hopefully make a few friends. They will visit the pools in the afternoon with us...but they are so young that we keep them on a short leash LOL. No running wild around the ship or pool area for my kids.

In general, we cruise for the itinerary and love to visit the beaches, so we are interested in Celebrity's Eastern Caribbean route that time of year. I also like a more subdued experience with less children on board, excellent cuisine and a good wine list [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. So I'm down to Princess and Celebrity again...have chosen Princess in the past but REALLY want to try Celebrity since I've heard so many rave reviews.

In addition, the RCCL prices for a family of four are outrageous. I think Celebrity and Princess offer a better cruise vacation at a better price point. Both lines have wonderful family-sized rooms that give us plenty of space to spread out. Nothing against RCCL, it's just not the right fit for our family. Maybe when the girls are older and want to do all the extra activies we'll venture on to the big ships LOL.

Cruises:

Next Cruise:

Oh...and 42trvl...we're from West Milford, NJ, in the Northwestern area of the state. Where are you from?

Cruises:

Next Cruise:

AmyBeth68,

We're in Wyckoff - not too far from you. From what you're saying, I don't think you'd be disappointed with Celebrity. Haven't cruised Princess to compare, but Celebrity is definitely a more subdued atmosphere. And I actually felt for your age kids it was great. There were more kids (but not too many) in the younger age groups and it was very pleasant when just "hanging out" with the kids. Haven't done lots of cost comparisons, but the last time we cruised we had two connecting cabins which was great for the second bathroom (we do have an 11 year old girl now...). But next time the kids will be in an FV with grandma, and we looked at some of those on our last cruise. If you don't care about the second bathroom, they are great in terms of space and location. You will see lots of comments on these boards about those and they seem to be great for a family of your size with your age kids.

42trvl - I have to agree with Bovs on this one. I've been on Adventure of the Seas and it really just depends upon the child. From what I've heard from others, the Celebrity kids program is pretty good. Personally, I prefer Celebrity but AOS had a lot of activity which may keep children occupied a bit more.

Of course, I would like you to stay on the Millennium but it's your decision.

Patricia

I guess we're just going to mull this one over a bit. If up to my husband, he would definitely go with the Millennium - has no interest in trying Voyager class. Kids were fine on Summit, and it's not like they have any shortage of activity in their lives here at home. Plus what does all that activity mean for us? Do we end up spending a lot of time waiting in lines and being in crowds for the rock climbing, skating, etc? - not really my idea of a "relaxing" cruise. Right now, I'm leaning toward this cruise. Maybe Mariner would be fun to try when they're a little older or traveling with other family/friends where we don't need to "supervise" as much.

I appreciate all of your comments and feedback here. I guess until we buy our airline tickets, we have some time to make the final decision.

Archived