Seasickness - What Works Best

LisaTX

I am a first time cruiser and get motion sick - worried I'll be seasick. Should I use patches, pills, or the bracelet. Also, do I get this stuff from my doctor?? HELP!! Have always gotten sick when fishing offshore out of Galveston.

Thanks

Mal de Mer is a rather pleasant and unassuming French term

from

http://www.seasickness.co.uk/

Hints on how to avoid seasickness

from

http://www.boatingoz.com.au/articles/seasick.htm

What is seasickness?

from

http://www.gay-dive.com/seasickness.htm

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

I used Bonine which is over the counter. However, a friend was on our cruise and she was so sick her first cruise she stayed in her room with her head under the shower most of the time, so she got a perscription patch for behind the ear (from her Dr.) and she never felt sick on this cruise. I get car sick if I read or look at anything for a few minutes while riding so I took a Bonine every day just in case. If you are prong to motion sickness I would say the perscription patch. She said the only thing she could tell as a side effect from the patch was she had dry mouth.

Have a wonderful cruise!! icon_cool.gif

Most definitely, the absolute best thing ever are Relief Bands (http://www.reliefbands.com). There are No side effects, and, unlike medications, work VERY quickly even AFTER you get symptoms. You can get them from Drugstore.com for $79.99.

Note: These are very different from sea bands, which are just a wrist band with a small ball in them that presses on an accupressure point. I haven't had any luck with those.

Mark

Star Princess - Sept 1990 - Alaska

Radiance of the Seas - Sept 2001 - Alaska

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=08>

<param name="day" value=21>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Till we sail on the Carnival Sensation 8/21/04 Western Caribbean cruise!

drowsiness may occur

from

http://www.insightpharma.com/bonine.aspx

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Non drowsy Dramamine is the same as Dramamine II is the same as Bonine is the same as the freebie Meclazine available for the asking. It is not the same as 'plain', knockout Dramamine of long ago. I took one tablet (25 mg) each evening before dinner and was fine for the whole night and next day, and I'm a big guy.

I noticed that I was pretty whipped after midnight, but that was probably from all the swimming, snorkeling, walking, sun, etc.

Last week, I went to the doctor for something else. While the nurse was doing all the check-in vitals, etc, she asked if there was anything else I wanted to ask the doctor, and I brought up that I recently went on a cruise, and might want to call in a prescription for the seasickness patches before the next trip, and she replied, "The doctor does not beleive in or prescribe the patch, but would be happy to recommend some OTC pills you can take instead." I inquired as to why he was against the patch, and she told me that his research and past patient experience shows that the patch isn't any more effective than the pills, and they have much more severe and longer-lasting side effects.

Brian

Destiny 10/26/03

Lisa, I've suffered from motion sickness since I was a child. I've gotten sick quite a few times while out on our boat in the Gulf. However, being on a ship is SO much different.

I used the patch (Rx) for my first few cruises, but haven't bothered with them the last three. I've bought non-drowsy Bonine and taken it with me, but never had to use it. Amazing.

Let me tell you what I learned long, long ago. IF you do get seasick, the best place is on deck with fresh air (preferebly at the front). Look ahead of you, and if there's anything there, focus on something in the distance. DO NOT LOOK AT THE WATER! Learned that from an old sea captain 30 yrs. ago. )Do NOT go to your cabin and lie down.)

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Take Bonine the first day as a just in case to let your body get used to the motion. Then see how you're doing the second day.

They only time I started to feel the least bit sick was when I obsessed on it. That's the other big key, just don't think about it. I got more seasick reading these message threads and worrying about seasickness than I did on the ship.

---

Jeremy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800   until Pride 3/28/04

I read somewhere that it is suggested that before going on a cruise, at least one or two days before getting on the ship that you should start taking the seasick/motion sickness medication.

I've never been on a cruise before, and I've never been seasick after being on whale watch/dolphin watch trips where the boat has rocked, the Cape May-Lewes Ferry and my dad used to have a cabin cruiser.

Can I still get seasick on an oceanliner?

Besides all those other recommendations, the FIRST thing you need to do is literally psyche yourself out and keep thinking, and repeating to yourself that you feel fine. And don't dwell on the ships movement.

The minute you start feeling the ship rock a little, if you start to think about getting sick, or even the possibility of it, you surely will get nauseous. Do anything and everything to keep your mind OFF of the possibility of becoming nauseous...if you take daily bonnine or ginger and tell yourself that it will work, and then forget about it and go about your day, you'll most likely be fine. There's a lot to be said about how powerful the mind can be.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

I had motion sickness on my first cruise and never expected this - never happened before. Fortunately, I had a balcony and it seemed that sitting outside was the only thing that helped. I'm booked on another cruise now without a balcony, so I hope the seas are not rough this time! My advice: get a balcony! Good luck!

Sea Bands worked great for us! Actually, I've only had to wear them on two cruises -- on the Celebration for almost the whole cruise, thanks to a storm that week, and for only a few hours on the Sensation. I also take them with me when I fly *just in case*, but I've never worn them.

One other tip we got from our cabin steward on the Celebration was to eat apples, and get lots of fresh air. Staying inside in your cabin is just about the worst thing you can do.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

The Sea-Band has been clinically tested

from

http://www.sea-band.com/sea_band_usa.htm

Sea Bands Accupressure Bands

from

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/seabands.html

sea bands - Buy sea bands online

from

http://www.shopsnext.com/baseballwarehouse/sea-bands.html

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

We bought ours on the ship, but I've seen them in Eckerd or Walgreens.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Archived