Long Beach/San Pedro

CarolandNate

I am researching hotels in the area for a December cruise through the Panama Canal.  There appear to be a number of Marriotts, Choice and Hiltons.  I have enough points for Marriott and Choice and can get enough for a Hilton.  Our plan is to fly to LA four or five days in advance and stay a little bit further east, then drive to LB or SP the day before the cruise and spend one night. 

Our needs are a nice hotel in a nice location.  While we would like to be close to the pier, distance is not an overriding factor.  Activities in the area are not that important, as we have seen the Queen Mary and the Aquarium.  Proximity to restaurants for dinner is of greater concern, preferably within walking distance.  And if the hotel restaurant is good, even better.  Ideally, we would like a place that serves free breakfast or at least has breakfast on the premises.  We plan to drop off the car the day of the cruise and will likely cab or uber over to the pier.  If the hotel offers a shuttle to the pier, we could consider dropping off the car the day before.

I have scouted out a few hotels.  The closest is the DoubleTree on San Pedro.  It is also close to Enterprise and they will take us to pier.  It looks good, it's close and the area looks pleasant.  There are a few Choice Hotels, the Cove, Quality Inn and Blue Stem.  Not overly excited about the QI, but I have stayed in Ascends before and they seem nice.  The Blue Stem is new and in Torrance and maybe a little further away than I want to stay.  Then there are a number of Marriotts.  I have stayed in Residence Inns of which there are several in the area.  The breakfast is pretty good and free. The Residence near the Queen Mary got my attention.  Not luxury, but good.  Then there is the Westin and Renaissance.  They appear to be a step up.  Some of the extras will cost, parking, breakfast, etc.

Those of you who have stayed in the area, I hope can give me some insight about their experiences in any of these hotels.  How important is distance from the pier, to restaurants, etc.  Do any of the hotels offer shuttles to pier?  Is cab or uber  a better option?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

There are a number of large name chain restaurants near the Long Beach Aquarium. That area is rather thick with the hipster crowd. Not a whole lot at the South end of San Pedro. The "Ports O Call" village is in the midst of total rebuild. Don't know what is still standing much less open. I would vote for Long Beach along Ocean Bl. However, be aware of your surroundings should you go North from the hotels on foot. The area gets sketchy rather quickly.