Dublin Arrival 7 am, Private tour at 8:15 am Doable?

eileen108

Generally speaking how fast is disembarkation in the port of Dublin? Are people getting off the ship at the stated port arrival time or within half an hour of it?

Crown Princess arrives in Dublin port at 7am, and I am interested in a private Newgrange bus tour starting in town at 8:15 am. Allowing for disembarkation and a 15 min taxi ride into town, I would need to disembark by 7:45 am at the latest. If I am at the door at 7 am, is it plausible that disembarkation would start fast?

I know that people who book cruise ship shuttles have to wait in other designated areas and are taken in groups via numbers, involving a delay of 1-2 hours, but I'd like to know if anyone has the experience of just independently disembarking at a faster time. Thanks so much!

We had no problem whatsoever disembarking promptly in Dublin, but getting transportation into the city was another thing entirely. When we were in port (with Princess), there were free shuttles running to Merrion Square, which may be why there were no taxis available. (There was a lengthy line for taxis but no taxis in sight.) We caught one of the free shuttles and talked the driver into letting us off north of the Liffey (instead of taking us all the way to Merrion Square), from which point it was a reasonably short walk to O'Connell where we were meeting our Newgrange Tour.

Thanks for the helpful advice, it gives me a sense of relief that quick disembarkation is possible, as also getting to the Newgrange meeting place.

I found this gem in Rick Steves book regarding Dublin: "If the taxi lines are long, start walking into town and they will soon show up empty." If I can't snag a quick shuttle into town, that's what I plan to do, to snag an empty taxi returning to port! Fingers crossed all will go well.

• 5 weeks later...

What day of the week? On a working day, you will be right into the middle of rush hour and all its associated delays, even in a taxi. The route into the city does not have bus/taxi lanes all the way. 15 minutes would be fairly optimistic at the height of rush hour.

• Like 1