Kids Club Age Groups?

gamer99

Anyone know how strict the age limits are for the kids clubs? We will be traveling on NCL Jewel in April with our 5 yr old and 6 yr old daughters. The 5 year old is shy and attached to her sister. I'm afraid that she will not join the kids club if she is not with her sister. She is well behaved and not disruptive. Any suggestions as to how I can get her into the same age group as her sister?

At those ages, they should be in the same group. But if they are not, you can move the younger one up or the older one down just by talking with the counselors. I've been on Norweigan and RCCL with my kids and both cruiselines stated that they like to observe the children with their own age group for a day (my kids are 2 1/2 years apart) before they will move one up or down. They want to observe maturity levels and also ensure that the older one won't be bored moving down or the younger one won't feel lost moving up. Just talk to the counselors and I'm sure you will come to a happy medium. My kids ended up being perfectly content and happy in their separate groups after getting to know their peers in their own groups which totally surprised me but you just never know! :)

NCL is very strict with their age restrictions. My son was in the 2-5 age group and had the time of his life. The 6 an older age group had much bigger kids in it....and they didnt' want the little ones being trampled by them. Don't worry about it......once your daughter goes in and sees how much fun her age group is, she'll be fine. My son still talks about the "jewelry" boat that we were on and his friends.

I have also heard that NCL is very strict with the age groups. I am mentally trying to prepare my 5 year old that she may not be with her sister. I'm not sure if it's working yet:rolleyes:! I'm just going to try and talk to the counselors and see if I can do anything but if I can't I guess this will be a learning experience for my 5 year old. I'm a little afraid that my 6 year old might have a problem with the older kids now that I heard what you've said. It's going to be spring break week and I'm sure there will be lots of kids in all of the age groups. We are traveling with lots of family so I'm sure someone will help out so we can have some adult time!

All of the cruise lines that I have been on have been very strict with the age limits...It is for the security of the children..Not having larger kids with the little ones..Or letting say a twelve year old with the teens...My daughter was twelve last year and really wanted to go to the teen center..Well this year she can, much to Mom's dismay...I will be keeping close tabs on her to be sure...

Don't worry about the age groups too much - there are many activities on the Jewel which are the same for all the kids independent of age - they'll do the theme nights together, go to the shows together, play in the same space, so they will not be constantly separated even if they are in different age groups.

The teens do their own stuff, but the younger ones are not strictly separated most of the time.

Rada

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar worry with our two - but it was actually the younger one who ended up being the easiest to settle and they both ended up having an absolute ball - Try not to stress too much the counselors are used to it and awesome in their abilities!

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised last spring break with our two kids--son 9 and daughter 5 (ages at that time). My son picked which activities to attend, and enjoyed them immensely. He's kind of a loner anyway, but he still made a few friends.

My daughter is very outgoing and social so I figured she would have no problem. She likes to play down with kids younger, probably because her language skills aren't quite up to where they should be. I went to drop her off the first day, and she cried and didn't want to go! I was really stressed about what to do. We haven't encountered this since 2 years old! Not even at kindergarten! I looked desparately at the worker there at the door while trying to pry off my clinging child. Well, let me tell you, that's nothing new to those girls. She knew exactly what to do. She got down eye to eye with my daughter and began to explain what they would be doing that day, she showed her what they were going to be making, and pointed out the Dora video that was playing that other kids were watching. My daughter slowly relaxed and cried more quietly. The worker assured me that she would be fine, so I pulled her off and stuck her in the door. She was crying while I signed her in and got my pager, but the worker was so good about trying to distract her. I started down the stairs and stood there for a minute listening, and I had no sooner gotten to the bottom of the steps when I no longer heard crying. I waited and sneaked back up a few minutes later, and she was having the time of her life watching Dora and making a pirate hat. For the rest of the cruise, she couldn't wait to get to her "class"! She would bound out of bed begging to race off before they did something without her. She made a little friend her age that she swam with every afternoon too.

So I've said all that to say this: Gamer99--she will enjoy it--the workers will be sure that she does. They absolutely know what they are doing, and they work with that age group (2-5 yrs) every day, every week, with the same program and activities every week that are geared to give that age group the time of their life. I'll bet there isn't a situation that they haven't come across. I know it sounds harsh, but if I were you, I would leave the younger daughter in her class away from sister, no matter how much she protests. Go back in a half hour or so, and see if she wants to leave. I'll bet she won't!

Archived