Carnival Fantasy Blog/Review 1/3/2019-1/7/2019

Cruiser_1977

I have just under 8 days before I board the Carnival Fantasy for the second time. The first time was in April of 2005. I am super excited and have some time on my hands; therefore, here I am!

About me: I am 41 and traveling solo. This is my first solo vacation. I've done long weekends but never more than one or two nights and never more than a few hours from home. I am a 9-5, Mon-Fri, professional. I am college educated and well traveled. I lived overseas for a few years and consider myself cultured. I am also "aggressively, laid-back". This doesn't mean I won't speak up if something is "wrong".

My cruising history is in my signature (minus a family cruise when I was young to the Greek Islands). I have also done several all-inclusive resorts. I have stayed in places from the Ritz Carlton to Motel 6. I work hard for my money and try to get the most for it I am able. I am not "cheap" but I LOVE to feel I am getting a good deal. I booked this cruise directly after returning from my NCL cruise to Cuba in June

I am fairly specific when looking to book a trip. For my January 2019 sailing:
Itinerary - I wanted to go to somewhere I hadn't been and love SEA DAYS ==> Cozumel and 2 Sea Days
Cabin - I wanted a suite ==> Got a Junior Suite
Cost - I wanted to spend less than $2,000 or $400/day. ==> To Date $1,868.90 (Fare, Cheers!, Transfers, Excursion, Airfare) 

I booked via an online travel agent. Therefore, all payments and communications so far have gone through them. When I booked this cruise back in June 2018 the only upfront cost was the $24.99 booking fee. My cruise fare plus taxes and port fees could be paid in installments. I also got a promotion where the cruise gratuities (PPG) were included. At $13.95/per person per day that is an out of pocket savings of $55.80. Final payment was October 25, 2018. Since this was a weird date for my budget, I got it moved. It was as simple as calling the travel agent and asking. In about two minutes, it was extended to October 31, 2018. I have kept an eye on the prices for the cruise. The suites are sold out and have been for months. The cost without the PPG promotion was over $1600! Super glad I booked early and got the promotion. I saved a bundle. I have also taken advantage of the AllState Gift Cards. I have saved about $120 using them.

I am flying from Dulles Airport (IAD) to Mobile, AL (MOB). I am flying in the morning of departure. I know, I know....There were no flights available. I watched and waited and about 3 months before travel dates the fare dropped. I am the first flight out on the plane, have a layover in Houston and should be in MOB at 11am. I have a 12:00 - 12:30 check-in. 

I am picking up sunscreen/suntan lotion tonight! Ordered a new swimsuit yesterday and can't seem to stay away from anything cruise related 🙂 I may have to start packing to ease my excitement.

Edited by JennyB1977

Pictures and Fun Times will follow this evening or tomorrow.

Pre-Cruise: Flew in the morning of embarkation. IAD to MOB (layover in Houston) Transfer to the Port. No issues. The transfer service was fantastic. The driver was fun and helpful. While I had turned on notifications because I was on a plane I didn’t see the messages about being delayed (fog) until I landed in MOB. They asked everyone to show up about 2 hours later than assigned. It worked out well because we had to sit for about 30 minutes on the runway at IAH.

Embarkation: I had the boarding pass pulled up on my phone and was told no you need the paper copy. Luckily I print out everything! I had priority boarding as a suite perk. It took roughly 20 minutes from drop-off to stepping onto the ship. I set up my sail & sign account as “CASH”. I had $50 in OBC and added $0 to it. She seemed reluctant but I told her I didn’t plan to buy anything. My room was ready as soon as I boarded. However, luggage didn’t arrive until after sail away. I think that was due to the fog delay.

Stateroom: Loved my cabin and there will pics and details in the Cabin thread. Junior Suite - V1.

Service: Wonderful service from our stewards and wait staff. I didn’t see my steward often but the room was always tidy and my towels always replenished. I LOVED my dinner servers. Jorge, Sedana and Matilda were A+. Bartenders and bar servers were also pleasant and fun.

Cozumel -  It rained our whole first day. I was excited to see sun! Up and off early. I spent most of the day at Nachi Cocom Beach Club. I booked this outside of Carnival. They handed me a glass of prosecco and showed me to a lounger under a palapa. I laid there for about 45 minutes. I then headed to the pool/spa area. It was fun. The one thing I’d mention is that the food is not all you can eat as it would appear on the website. Adults receive one appetizer, one soup/salad, one entrée and one dessert. Children get 3 items. I don’t eat that much and didn’t care. Others seemed very upset by this. I got a chicken quesadilla that was very good. Drinks were good. Wait staff was not around much. Had to go to the bar to get most of my beverages.

Food: I like GOOOOD food. I consider Ruth Chris a good steak not a great steak. I was expecting a solid three based on reviews (scale 1-5). That is what I got. I am not unhappy with the buffet or the MDR. I ordered Flat Iron steak the first night. It wasn’t seasoned and was very chewy. I didn’t eat but two bites. The canneloni and the Beef Tenderloin from the last evening were amazing! One night they had a meatball appetizer. There was a veal parmesan entrée. I asked for the meatballs on the pasta instead of the veal. That was yummy. The service was always good! Drink selection (mostly red wine and Bourbon) I found to be fantastic. I drank a lot of Woodford and Layer Cake Pinot Noir. I never got a burger at Guys (the line was always long). The Blue Iguana is good!

Of Note:  There are things that I have always considered common courtesy, if not rules. I saw people eating the cheese cubes off the salad bar with their fingers (GROSS). I also saw people refilling plates and cups at the buffet. The two hot tubs on the Lido deck were mostly overrun with children. At one point there were 15 kids in the covered one and they couldn’t even move it was so crowded. WHY? I did not get in the pool or hot tubs because RARELY did I see these children, or the adults, get out to use the restroom. I saw people going into the restrooms on the pool deck WITHOUT SHOES ON! While almost everyone dressed up on elegant night, they allowed men in jeans (not nice fancy ones or “church jeans” but old ratty blue jeans) and ball hats into the Jubilee Dining Room (I had late seating and ate there each night). They also allowed a young woman in black tight athletic pants, a t-shirt that was printed like an athletic jersey and a fanny pack into dinner on elegant night.

Disembarkation: I was up at 6:45am. I did walk-off. I had priority debarkation, went to the Universal Lounge, got an elevator to the gangway deck and was on the shuttle by 7:30. I had a credit of $4.72 (left for St. Jude's) on my final bill the rest of the $50 was used for tips to bartenders. I tip my room steward in cash and in person.

Final Thoughts: The woman in the piano bar, Laura, was amazing. Unfortunately, she was leaving the ship after this trip. The cruise director, Marty, was great! The ship is headed to dry dock. I think a spiffing up is needed but I loved the Fantasy and the size of the ship.

Happy to answer any questions if I can!

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for posting these. I see that self assist passengers gather at 7 am, what time did the boat arrive in port? The date I'm going it says we arrive back in port at 8am. Does anyone get off before 8am, or why gather so early? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not think there was any more rocking compared to the NCL Sky. It is an older ship (launched in 1990). I believe she's had two upgrades (2008 and 2016). She just needs some TLC. Some of the fabrics on chairs need replaced, in a few areas the carpet was showing wear, in the dining room a few of the plastic covers over the lights had cracks. None of this effected how much I like her!

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Thanks 1