***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

I Did Not Know There Was An Old And New Terminal . Just Know We Are Flying Into Newark Airport And Then We Go To The Cruise Ship Terminal . We Had A Travel Agent Suggest We Take The Super Shuttle To The Cruise Terminal . We Have Never Cruised Out Of New York .

Thanks For Any Additional Information.

Well thanks for the info on the new terminal .I had not heard there was going to be a new terminal . That's great . By July it should be really working good . I guess the shuttle will go to the new terminal if that's the way we go . I might look into the transfers from Cunard since we are 4 with lots of luggage .

Hi All,

Saw the other thread in the Roll Call of Other Ships for this cruise. Very small.

My wife & I and also my parents are booked as of today to experience Mary2 for the first time.

We have been the Elizabeth 2 about 14 times till she relocated.

Looking forward to seeing her in person and onboard at the Brooklyn Terminal.

Haven't riden down to see the new terminal yet, but it will be interesting to see it. Instead of going into Manhattan, it will be interesting to go to the new terminal from our home boro of Brooklyn. No crossing into Manhattan for this cruise.

Regards,

ESLO ( Bev & Ed)

I am just learning of the RED, WHITE, & BLUE BALL. I reserved directly through CUNARD. Is this experince talking, or is there an actual Itinerary? If someone has it, please share. This is our FIRST CRUISE; I am pleased that I am not the only one who cannot wait....any Advice for the 1st timers? I am eagerly awaiting any thoughts. THANKS, in advance.

Please share any details regarding the SHUTTLE from Newark NJ. We will fly in that monring; and likely have heavy luggage. By the way, how many formal nights on such a short cruise? I was planning on wearing jacket (likely no tie) on "off - formal" nights...Is this too much? Opinions much appreciated.

My experience is that a tie for dinner on the QM2 is appropriate no matter what evening it is. Unlike lines like NCL where it is very informal (resort casual I think they call it), the QM2 is very dressy from cocktail time on on every evening. I think you will feel very out of place with no tie.

The "Ball" will be held in the Queens Room after the last dinner seating. There will be dancing and drink service. Theoretically this is where you wear your red white and blue evening wear to celebrate the 4th July. Most who participate will wear it to dinner as well.

I appreciate the "heads up" regarding Formal nights (cocktail, etc.). I have 2 tuxedos and dinner jackets, just wasn't sure what to expect ; It sounds like the dress code is not only implied, but likely "enforced." I am grateful; Would not want to look out of place. THANKS!

Well We Booked Our Flight So That Makes It Seem Closer To Time To Cruise . We Booked To Fly Into Newark Airport Same Day As The Cruise . It's A Non-stop Flight So At Least We Should Not Lost The Luggage .

It's A Long Time To Wait Until July But It Helps To Read The Posts . We Are Going On A Cruise Feb 4th On Voyager Of The Seas To The Eastern Caribbean So That Will Help Make The Time Go By Faster . That Shlould Get Us Warmed Up For The Queen Mary2.

This Is Our First Year Of Retirement So We Are Anxious To Do Things . My Parents Are Cruising With Us And Are Also Very Excited About Going .

Congrats on the retirement; This is our first cruise ever, for my wife and I . We are really looking forward to it...I can't wait - Seems I am not the only one...

Well We Just Returned From The Eastern Caribbean Cruise On The Voyager. It Was So Fun With Our Parents And Two Grand Sons. It Made Us Look Forward To This Upcoming Cruise On The Queen Mary2.

We Have Some Questions About This Cruise . We Were Wondering About The Formal Wear. Is It Formal Every Night Or Just The One Formal Night . How Dressy Is The Informal ? Is It Evening Gowns/cocktail Dresses Every Night Or Just Pant Suits And Sun Dresses? What About The Red/white & Blue Ball? Is That A Cocktail Dress Or What ? WHAT ABOUT THE DRESS DURING THE DAY ON THE SHIP ? SO MOST PEOPLE WEAR SHORTS BECAUSE IT WILL BE VERY HOT WEATHER BY THEN .

It Is Too Late To Fine These Things Out After We Are On The Ship So Any Help From Anyone Who Has Already Been On This Cruise Will Be Appreciated By All Of Us Wondering . We Have Read That It Is Dressy On The Crossings But Is It The Same On This 5 Day Cruise . We Have Only Cruised With Royal Caribbean So We Have A Lot To Wonder About .

Thanks In Advance

• 2 weeks later...
Bill and Ray will also be on this cruise. Used to take train and walk to terminal. Now flying to JFK. Things change.

QM2 Maiden, Tandem and July 2005

Booked QM2 July 4, Labor Day and New Year's 2006

Queen Victoria Maiden December 2007

Is this the same Bill & Ray formerly (?) of Further Lane????

Please let Bobby1119 formerly of Wainscott know.

Yes, Things Do Change .

The New Terminal Will Be Nice I Bet . Just Have To Wait And See . Does Anyone Know If The New Terminal Is Located In The Good Area ? What All Is Near By And How About The Traffic In That Area ?

From what people are saying it is not the best of areas.

Maybe that will change by April.

Yes, Things Do Change .

The New Terminal Will Be Nice I Bet . Just Have To Wait And See . Does Anyone Know If The New Terminal Is Located In The Good Area ? What All Is Near By And How About The Traffic In That Area ?

Hello Griffith1,

Yes, my wife (Bev) and I (Ed) are looking forward to the cruise on the QM2. We did the same voyage on the QE2 when she did the 4th July Cruise the Boston, New England & Canada in 1995. That was her Maiden Voyage to Boston for the 4th July Cruises when most took place in NYC for the Fireworks.

We live by the VZ Bridge at the mouth of the Harbor on the Brooklyn side. We know where the new terminal is being built and as very early threads have said about the future move for those that know it - "Are You Kidding, Redhook"! - ?

Yes, the area is known as the Redhook section of Brooklyn. It is several block away from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel which connects Brooklyn with Lower Manhattan. It is also the longest tunnel in the city across the harbor.

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/bct_info.cfm#map

The area was an old shipping area in Erie Basin near a Fishing & Grain Elevator terminal. They are suppose to be doing alot of work to develop that area in Brooklyn's First Cruiseship Terminal. It is also near a housing complex know as the Redhook Housing by the City of NY. Honestly, it is now not a very safe area to say. I would not walk in that area in the evening. Daytime should be ok. I hope that the City is developing more proper direct street access to the Port. I am not sure what would happen if we have one of our well known traffic jams to those who are coming to terminal from Manhattan no less NJ. We even wondered if there will be attraction to City Taxi Cabs. But once know, things may get easier.

What is it near? Well not at all anything at this time. As I said it is in a very industrial area. There is a area up and coming in lower Brooklyn Heights called Court Street & Smith Street. But, it is quite abit away from the ship terminal and definitely not at all walking distance. Also not area you would now walk outside the terminal area.

I know that City wants to turn around the area and take all the talk away from what is now known for. My wife and I have been meaning to take a ride to see it and the progress. About a 1/2 hour from where we live in Lower Brooklyn - Bay Ridge/Shore Road Area.

I hope I am not scaring you just telling I know it. But there has to be plans to get to and from the Terminal.

I will be aware as we are also on the cruise and will be taking my parents and us by local car service to and from the terminal.

Hope this helps you. I can be a source of information close to the cruise if you need information.

Regards,

ESLO (Bev & Ed)

Wow! That Was A Great Update On What's Going On With That Development Of The New Red Hook Cruise Terminal . I Do Think The City And The Cruise Line Will Want That Area To Be Safe And Attractive For The People That Are Going To Be Using It . I HOPE THEY HAVE THAT IN THEIR PLANS !

I Am Going To Check On Transfers From Cunard For Us From The Airport To The Terminal. I Booked Us To Fly Into Newark Because At The Time , I Did Not Know About This Change . The Travel Agent Did Not Know Either And Advised Me To Book My Flight Into Newark .

I Guess There Will Not Be A Car Rental Place Anywhere Near The Cruise Ship Terminal, At Least Not For This Trip . We Are Planning On Renting A Mini Van As Soon As We Get Off The Ship . We Are Going Down To Washington Dc . I Just Have To Figure Out Where The Closest Place Will Be . I May Send My Husband By Cab To Pick Up The Vehicle And Come Back Pick Up The Rest Of Us From The Terminal . If I Get The Transfer From Cunard , They Will Just Be Able To Get Us Back To One Of The Airports . One Of The Airports May Be The Best For The Rental Anyway , That Is What I Am Working On Figuring Out . Can You Tell Me Which Airport Is Going To Be The Closest To The New Red Hook Terminal ?

We Are Getting So Excited For This Cruise . My Mom Is Really Looking Forward To It . She Was On Qe2 In 1981 . They Went With Us To The Eastern Caribbean On Voyager . That WaS Sort Of A Warm Up For This Cruise . Lol

I Was Reading Some Of The Reports And Seeing A Lot Of Pictures About The Two Queen Marys Being In Long Beach For The First Time At The Same Time . Sounds Like It Was A Great Celebration .

We Have Never Got The Chance To Travel On Qe2. Maybe That Will Be In Our Future .

Thanks Again ,

Griffith1 (linda)

Wow! That Was A Great Update On What's Going On With That Development Of The New Red Hook Cruise Terminal . I Do Think The City And The Cruise Line Will Want That Area To Be Safe And Attractive For The People That Are Going To Be Using It . I HOPE THEY HAVE THAT IN THEIR PLANS !

I Am Going To Check On Transfers From Cunard For Us From The Airport To The Terminal. I Booked Us To Fly Into Newark Because At The Time , I Did Not Know About This Change . The Travel Agent Did Not Know Either And Advised Me To Book My Flight Into Newark .

I Guess There Will Not Be A Car Rental Place Anywhere Near The Cruise Ship Terminal, At Least Not For This Trip . We Are Planning On Renting A Mini Van As Soon As We Get Off The Ship . We Are Going Down To Washington Dc . I Just Have To Figure Out Where The Closest Place Will Be . I May Send My Husband By Cab To Pick Up The Vehicle And Come Back Pick Up The Rest Of Us From The Terminal . If I Get The Transfer From Cunard , They Will Just Be Able To Get Us Back To One Of The Airports . One Of The Airports May Be The Best For The Rental Anyway , That Is What I Am Working On Figuring Out . Can You Tell Me Which Airport Is Going To Be The Closest To The New Red Hook Terminal ?

We Are Getting So Excited For This Cruise . My Mom Is Really Looking Forward To It . She Was On Qe2 In 1981 . They Went With Us To The Eastern Caribbean On Voyager . That WaS Sort Of A Warm Up For This Cruise . Lol

I Was Reading Some Of The Reports And Seeing A Lot Of Pictures About The Two Queen Marys Being In Long Beach For The First Time At The Same Time . Sounds Like It Was A Great Celebration .

We Have Never Got The Chance To Travel On Qe2. Maybe That Will Be In Our Future .

Thanks Again ,

Griffith1 (linda)

My wife and I will also be on the INDEP Cruise of of Red Hook; By chance we will also be flying into Newark. I belive base on the warnings, I willopt for a CAR SERVICE from Newark. This can cost much more than a standard TAXI, but I bet it will be a better, more reliable service.

Good luck on your transfer into Brooklyn. Oh , also, check your Airpot transfer options from Cunard, if you fly in early, you might have to wait all day for the first transfer in , anyone les ehave thoughts on this; they would be very much appreciated?

Regards, SDB1S

HI ALL,

I will try to gain what information I can personally obtained before our cruise. I know from being local, we will opt to use local car service since we are part of the neighborhood of Brooklyn. For this cruise we won't have to enter Manhattan and use any airports.

We did happen to hear from our TA by chance being friends that the terminal should be opening around April 11th or 12th for service.

We will have common knownledge living in the city and also expect about that time when it will open to see alot of play in the papers that will give more information. We will also be relying on our TA for whatever information he will forward to us and especially whatever will be included in our Document Dance package when they come in. I will definitely share whatever info I hear and not to miss guide you.

As I said, living not that far away, my wife and I would like to take a ride and see what we can of it. I do hope by July the area, terminal, city and cruise lines will get their act together especially for you good people that are not as lucky as we are with being a short distance.

:) Hoping the thread will grow with more especially nice people....

Regards,

ESLO (Ed & Bev)

Hi Griffith1 & All,

WOW, What a group is growing here!

Griffith1, your thread really attracted a number of people. As of today, 3/2/06 I counted about 12 CC's Titles of members coming onboard. Don't know the count of bodies related to the members names.

Should be a great trip and see how many more people will be attracted to this gathering.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Four months from tomorrow we will be Boston bound aboard the QM2 for our Independence Weekend Cruise, 2006.

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 - Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene plus Stu, Linda & Joe

Atticus

Eslo - Bev & Ed

sdb1s

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

See everybody in just a hair over 2900 hours!

Jonathan

Four months from tomorrow we will be Boston bound aboard the QM2 for our Independence Weekend Cruise, 2006.

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 - Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Eslo - Bev & Ed

Also adding to ESLO - My parents Cunarder's Lottie & Stanley

See everybody in just a hair over 2900 hours!

Hi All,

Just wanted to pass on to all coming on the trip that my wife and I took a trip to see the new terminal being built for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Redhook Brooklyn.

Took abit of finding as it is out of the view of the normal streets but using my homing pigeon instinct found the back area. The area is very much plastered with Security Signs and Camera Signs so I was deeply afraid if I wanted to take photo's what would have happened.

The building up to now still looks like alot of work is needed with finishing it. I did figure out after looking it over that the area behind the Brooklyn Battery Terminal is the approach to the Property Area. Like I said, the general area around that part of Redhook is not the most pleasant to greet new passengers to a cruiseship terminal. Remember, this is a waterfront area. But we used it to look over the area to get a good shot of the pier, property and area.

Looks like a very large area will be for parking but not sure. If the approach from the city streets are correct, there seems to be a very long airport type runway road from the property entrance to the front of this terminal front. It has a nice front to it and may also have a drive type circle in front of it. The building up to now seems to be a single story typical pier structure. We saw what looked like modules of White Painted Steel & Glass Walls Bridges that maybe used to possibly board the ship. It was interesting to see this and what it looked like in the papers afew months ago when ground was broken.

Yes, there is work still needed to be done before the first ship I believe 4/11-12 comes in but they may do the something they did to Bayonne NJ when that terminal was being built. They did enought work to get it up and running and did additional work in the later months while functioning.

Not sure how many ships can dock at one time at the pier. Again, not a great view but good enought for now.

It will be interesting to see the documentation that is included in the tickets. I also are going to look out for the papers near it's opening.

I am concerned about the traffic and approach to this entrance. We traveled down a street called Hamilton Avenue toward the Battery Tunnel and just about to past the Tunnel when a large tracker trailer blocked the street to back in to the business it was at and took about 10 minutes. The traffic backup it created was interesting. But we had patience and waited. I did not see the typical city taxicabs anywhere about the area no less car service vehicles. That's all that the city and port have to work out in the coming months to make it pleasant and accommodating to us.

There is again no local stores to go to at this time outside close to the terminal area. Definitely no cultural entertainment or attractions also now.

One thing we did like and found a rainbow in all this, "What a lovely view and picture of Lower Manhattan by the Battery!" Sorry to say, the poor Trade Center is missing and would added a touch. I wonder what it would look like from onboard a ship?

Just wanted to pass this to all. We will be watching for information related to this terminal and it's progress.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Bev & Ed)

WELCOME ABOARD ljs0928 . THERE WILL BE A LOT OF US FIRST TIMERS ON THE QM2. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE ONLY BEEN ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN SO WE WON'T HAVE TOO MUCH TO COMPARE TO . WE HAVE REALLY ENJOYED ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND HAVE NO COMPLAINTS BUT WE ARE ANXIOUS TO SAIL ON THE QUEEN .

SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE NEW CRUISE TERMINAL OUT OF RED HOOK NOW . I'M GLAD WE WILL SAIL IN JULY SO THINGS SHOULD BE RUNNING SMOOTH BY THEN .

I CALLED CUNARD YESTERDAY AND THEY TOLD ME WE WOULD RECEIVE THE DOCUMENTS ABOUT 90 DAYS PRIOR TO THE SAIL DATE . WE WERE CHECKING ON TRANSFERS FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE TERMINAL . WHEN WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHT WE HAD NO IDEA THERE WERE GOING TO BE CHANGES IN THE CRUISE TERMINALS . WE BOOKED TO FLY INTO NEWARK THINKING THE SHIP WOULD BE DOCKED IN THE SAME PLACE IT HAS BEEN . OUR TRAVEL AGENT WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF THE CHANGES COMING . WE CAN STILL GET THE TRANSFERS THOUGH CUNARD FROM NEWARK . WE DECIDED IT WOULD BE EASIER WITH ALL THAT LUGGAGE WE WILL HAVE . WE ARE DOING A 9 DAY ROAD TRIP AFTER THE CRUISE .

WE STILL HAVE A LITTLE OVER 3 MONTHS TO WAIT . HOPE WE HAVE MORE POSTS ON HERE THE CLOSER WE GET . I CALLED ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO AND CUNARD SAID THE 8 DECK WAS SOLD OUT .

Archived