***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

Wow ! It Sounds Like We Will Be Very Busy Going To All These Balls . Not Really Sure What A Pirates Ball Is ????

It's Our First Time On The Queen Mary II So We Are Not Familiar With These Functions . I Did Ask Already About The Red, White And Blue Ball And Was Answered That We Are To Dress In Those Colors With Informal/ Semi-formal Attire . Sounds Like We May Only Have The One Formal Night For The Captain's Gala Ball ?

Still No Documents Today. No Document Dance Today .....

Linda G.

Embarkation:

Motorcoach from NY airports (EWR, FJK, LGA) to Red Hook - for flight arrivals aft 9:30am - $40

Sedans (max 2 guests and 2 suitcases):

from NY airports - $99

from midtown Manhattan City Center - $69

Limo (max 2 guests and 2 suitcases):

from NY airports - $170

from midtown Manhattan City Center - $125

Same prices for disembarkation - Motorcoach to airport for flights after 1:00pm - also a motorcoach to midtown Manhattan (3 stops Penn Station, Port Authority and Grand Central Station only) - $19

Ljs0928 ,

Did You Receive A Brochure On The Cruise Or Did You Receive The Actual Cruise Documents ? Can't Wait To Get Mine !

We Are All Still Wondering About How Many Formal And Semi-formal Nights There Will Be .

Hi All,

Just visited my parents and they received the pre embarkation folder but we didn't as of today.

Both going thru AAA agency. We may receive it on Monday or have to call.

Did not have time to analyze the data fast. I know the new times were in the folder about our change departure on 3rd July and changes arrival/departures at the other ports due to her pod damage. Lucky she did not drop any ports as of now.

Will go over all when it arrives and give it a sharp once over to see all of the goings on.

Not sure when the actual Documents are coming in.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

ELSO,

THAT'S EXCITING THAT YOUR PARENTS GOT A LITTLE SOMETHING WITH THE PROMISE FOR MORE TO FOLLOW . IT'S SEEM LIKE IT'S GETTING CLOSER TO TIME TO SET SAIL WHEN WE GET THE PAPER WORK FROM THE CRUISE LINES . I AM ANXIOUS TO KNOW THE EXACT PLANS OF THE CRUISE LINE . ALSO WHAT COULD THAT HINT OF " SURPRISES " BE ????

MAYBE SOMETHING WITH THE CAPTAIN'S RETIREMENT ??? :confused:

LJS0928,

YES, I BOOKED THE TRANSFER WITH CUNARD AND IT WAS $40. PP .

I HAVE MY ELDERLY PARENTS CRUISING WITH US ALSO . IT SEEM TO BE THE ROAD OF LEAST RESISTANCE TO GO WITH THE TRANSFERS . WE'VE DONE THE TRANSFERS WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND IT WAS SO EASY .

I CHECKED WITH MAP QUEST AND IT SEEMS THE DRIVE FROM NEWARK AIRPORT TO THE BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL IS ABOUT A 26 MINUTE RIDE . NOT BAD AT ALL . WE FLEW INTO FT LAUDERDALE AND HAD TO RIDE THE MOTOR COACH FOR 45 MINUTES TO MIAMI IN FEBRUARY .

MAYBE SOME OF US WILL START GETTING THE DOCUMENTS THIS WEEK SINCE WE ARE NOW GETTING CLOSER . I WOULD LIKE TO START ON MY PACKING LIST . :D

LINDA G.

We received our pre-cruise documents today, great excitement and joy. I don't believe we'll truly know how many formal nights there are until we're all aboard. According to the manifest there are two. It mentions Pirates Ball and Ascot Ball but, doesn't definitively say we are having them on our voyage, who knows.

The other rather boneheaded thing has to do with the guest registration forms. The previous forms had a space where you could list the names of friends you wish to dine with. These new forms don't include this space, so now it involves going through your travel agent and or Cunard.

But, at any rate pre-docs have arrived, our cruise date is drawing close, it's not just a figment of our imagination, it will be here in a mere 76 days. Now, that's something to dance about!

vsi6g3.gif

On the formal night front I believe this is a final. We have two formal nights, one semi-formal (red, white and blue) and two casual. Was just on the horn with Cunard regarding dining situation and double-checked the dress breakdown again. Cunard can handle your seating desires over the phone, ie: sitting you with friends who are also travelling on the same journey.

76 days and 5 1/2 hours till drinks in the Commodore Club with fellow Cruise Critics, looking forward to it.

Jonathan:)

CRUISERKING: THANKS FOR THE UPDATE . I ASSUME YOU RECEIVED THE PRE-CRUISE BROCHURE ? I'M SO JEALOUS . I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MINE YET .

USUALLY THE FIRST NIGHT AND LAST NIGHT ARE THE CASUAL DRESS . SO IF THE RED/WHITE & BLUE IS TO BE THE SEMI-FORMAL NIGHT , THAT LEAVES THE 5TH AND 6TH FOR OUR FORMAL NIGHTS .SO IT WOULD BE :

MONDAY 7/3 CASUAL

TUESDAY 7/4 (INDEPENDENCE BALL) SEMI-FORMAL

WEDNESDAY 7/5 FORMAL

THURSDAY 7/6 FORMAL

FRIDAY 7/7 CASUAL

WELL IF THEY ONLY MENTIONED THE ASCOT BALL ,PIRATE'S BALL , AND THE INDEPENDENCE DAY BALL , WHAT ABOUT THE CAPTAIN'S GALA BALL ?

IT'S A LOT TO PUT INTO 5 NIGHTS ......:eek: I GUESS WE JUST BETTER BE READY FOR WHATEVER THEY DECIDE TO DO FOR US .

I WONDER EXACTLY HOW LONG BEFORE CUNARD WILL MAIL OUT THE DOCUMENTS . I THINK I REMEMBER THEM TELLING ME THAT IT IS USUALLY 60 DAYS PRIOR TO SAILING DATE . NOT TOO MUCH LONGER . IT IS GETTING EXCITING JUST WAITING ON THOSE DOCUMENTS .

LINDA G.

Linda G,

There's a definitely a Captain's Gala Ball. I'm betting it occurs on July 5th. I imagine the Ascot Ball is the second formal night on July 6, semi-formal we know on the fourth, perhaps the Pirates Ball might be the last night. You should receive your pre-docs soon.

Jonathan;)

My husband and I will also be on the Independence Day Cruise this July. This will be our first cruise, and I must say that this message board has answered so many of our questions. We just wanted to say thanks for all of the helpful advice and can't wait to have drinks with you all at the Commodore Club.

Welcome Global G . You Picked A Great Way To Start Cruising With A 5 Day Cruise . This Message Board Will Answer Any Questions You May Have About Cruising Or Anything To Do With Cruising . It's A Great Help For All Of Us And We Enjoy Talking About The Cruise Before We Go .

Linda G.

My husband and I will also be on the Independence Day Cruise this July. This will be our first cruise, and I must say that this message board has answered so many of our questions. We just wanted to say thanks for all of the helpful advice and can't wait to have drinks with you all at the Commodore Club.

Hi All & Welcome Global,

Welcome onboard to the Queen of the Seas. Some have been on the Mary already but sounds like a bunch of us are newbies. I have been on the QE2 over a dozen times but are looking to see what the QM2 is all about. This will be our trail run to see if we would like a Mega Ship this size. We enjoy ships that are about 1400-1800 paxs large.

We have also did this type of cruise on the QE2 twice for the 4th of July and also New England/Canada on the same cruise.

We are also confirmed Holland America (HAL) Mariners in our cruising ventures. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask this thread for our personal opinions or advise.

Once again, welcome............

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Welcome Aboard Global G. You picked a dandy of a ship for your first cruise. Look forward to meeting you July 3 at the Commodore Club.

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene plus Stu, Linda & Joe

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed- Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Global G

10 weeks from now we'll be in the presence of the great ship!

Cruiserking

Today my Cruise Vacation Planner at Cunard told me...the July 3 cruise will only have the Independence Ball (Red, White & Blue) and the formal Captain's Gala Ball - no Ascot Ball or Pirate's Ball. She didn't have the dates for these balls but assumed the Independence Ball would be July 4 and said that the Captain determines when the Captain's ball will be.

Some have been on the Mary already but sounds like a bunch of us are newbies. I have been on the QE2 over a dozen times but are looking to see what the QM2 is all about. This will be our trail run to see if we would like a Mega Ship this size. We enjoy ships that are about 1400-1800 paxs large.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Ed and Bev,

I think you will love the QM2. My initial cruise experiences were in 800 passenger ships. I have gone on much larger ships, and several HAL 1800-2400 pax ships (Zuiderdam, Westerdam, etc) I found the QM2 to be a most bear-able ship size-wise. Alltough she certainly qualifies as a larger ship, I did not once feel like I was walking to the ends of the earth when I went from the Brittania after dinner to the Royal Court Theater or the Commodore Club, at full opposite ends of the ship. I have some mobility problems (and sore feet, when wearing dressy shoes and stockings) and although I occasionally took off my shoes and went stockinged-feet to the fore of the ship, never did I feel that the ship was too big, too unweidly, or hard to get around in. I found her easy to navigate inside and out (With a few minor exceptions- the "between" floors such as where the photo gallery is where, as we New England denizens like to say, "Ya cahn't get Theah from heah!" and the ridiculous 8 deck pool, which can only be reached by outside metal stairs or by going THROUGH the Todd English restaurant. Not a good desgin, IMHO

I think you will find this ship quite managable.

Her publics spaces are much more nicely arrayed than most ships I have been on, and nicely sized.

Enjoy!

Karie,

Who is very persnickety about oversized ships!

As far as formal nights go, usually there are two formal nights a week aboard Cunard. The July 4 event is really an extra. I'm inclined to believe there will be two formals plus the informal. This is the information I've received from Cunard reservations as recently as last week.

Cruiserking

We received our prelim docs yesterday :>) , and Cunard is saying Captain's Gala Ball -- Formal Black/White Attire, and Independence Ball -- Red/White/Blue Attire. The Balls are usually held after the last dinner seating in the Queen's Ballroom, if you care to attend. I'm still waiting to hear if there indeed will be a to-do with Commodore Warwick and his retirement during our sailing.

Does Anyone On This Thread Have The Cunard Transfers ?

I Was Reading About The Nightmare Others Had With Their Transfers Through Cunard . I Am Concerned About This Being We Have Booked And Paid For Our Transfers With Cunard Also . I Was Reading That Cunard Let People Wait Hours At The Airport For The Bus To Pick Them Up And Had Used A School Bus With No Restroom And They Were On The Bus For Hours Looking For Their Hotel On The Return Trip . This Is Very Disturbing To Me . :(

Hi All,

Glad to see the Queen is back in Brooklyn after a somewhat rough crossing according to PaulNH in another thread.

This will be last time we see her in Redhook till 5/23/06 according to all the online schedules.

Also is it's a great webcam from Manhattan to see her in Redhook.

http://66.171.196.82:50000/CgiStart?page=Single&Direction=Preset&PresetOperation=Move&Data=4&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Clarity&RPeriod=3&Size=STD&Language=0

Wishing her pleasant sailing in the coming days and can't wait to see and step onboard on 7/3.

Till then......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

It Sure Seems Like We Have A Quite Bunch Of Cruisers On This July 4th Cruise . I Sure Hope We All Liven Up For The Independence Celebrations !

It Was Exciting To Read About The Queen Mary Coming Into Red Hook . I Just Hope The Problems Of Transportation For Everyone Gets Worked Out Soon . It Makes The Cruise So Much More Enjoyable And Memorable To Have It All Go Smoothly . Anything So Big Usually Does Take Time To Run Well . I'm Sure Cunard Is Working On It .

We Are Getting Close To Our 60 Day Mark . :)

It's Will Be Such Hot Weather By Then , We Will Really Enjoy The Cool Breeze Of The Ocean When We Sail Off On The Queen .

We Will Also Be Able To Start Our Packing Before We Know It !

Still Wondering About Those Formal Nights .......

Linda G.

What excursions are you all considering for our upcoming QM2 voyage?

We're definitely going to sign up for one of the Acadia National Park and lobster lunch outings, sounds like a good sampling of the area. Probably won't take planned excursion in Boston, pretty farmiliar with the town having gone to school there.

As for Halifax, looking forward to strolling the waterfront, hiking up to the Citadel and checking out downtown area along Barrington Street. Anyone been to Halifax before? The afternoon tea at the Citadel sounds intriguing. I wonder if this is something you can do on your own, or you have to be part of a tour.

At any rate it's almost suitcase dusting time, one of my favorite pastimes.

Cruiserking

We Are Still Deciding On The Excursions But I Have Picked Out The "scenic Boston" (2 Hours) For Our Boston Stop .

I Have Put My Little Check On The "grand Tour Of Bar Harbor (6 Hours). I Also Want To Get In On The Lobster Bake .

I Have No Idea About Halifax . The Winery Tour Sounds Really Good To Me . I Guess I Will Wait To See What Excursions My Parents Have Picked Out . They Like The Slow Moving Ones At Their Ages . The Winery Tour Would Be Good For Them I Think . The Tours Show You All The Highlights But Sometimes I Like To Be On Our Own .

Linda G.

Hi All,

We also are looking at the tours and thinking about it. We have been on this type of cruise in the past 2x once on the QE2 & Caronia and covered certain tours already.

We know Boston and may hoof it on our own close to the pier and the markets. Don't need to go deep into town.

Bar Harbor, we may also walk it on our own. We went thru it once by bus and saw alot we would walk thru. Also to treat ourselfs with a NE seafood lunch.

Halifax, maybe the tour involving the Titanic.

Otherwise, if you don't make any commitments to any tours it will be on foot walking or just enjoy the ship itself.

Till then......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Wow this group has grown since the last time I checked! I forgot to subscribe last time, and I had a heck of a time finding the thread, but we are here now, so you can add us (Steve & Norma) to the list.

We will be driving from Philly area unless you people convince us that it will be too much of a hassle...then we'll take a limo I guess. Driving to Bayonne and Manhatten piers was a breeze.

I couldn't possibly read all the earlier posts (got a headache half way through). Did you ever resolve the dress for each night?

Archived