***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just booked today. Carol and Albert.

We are from RI and just wanted a little vacation without the children.

We love cruising--and usually go as a family. We have not been on Cunard our last 3 cruises were Celebrity.

Counting down the days!!!

Carol

Welcome Carol and Albert. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just booked today. Carol and Albert.

We are from RI and just wanted a little vacation without the children.

We love cruising--and usually go as a family. We have not been on Cunard our last 3 cruises were Celebrity.

Counting down the days!!!

Carol

Hi All & cml3,

Welcome On Board Carol & Albert & To Cunard for the first time. This will be a short cruise but one to test out the waters for such a large vessel like the Queen.

My Primary Dr. is a abbott fan of Celebrity and really talks highly of the line. Maybe we would try it someday if we were given the opportunity.

We also are counting the days: 44 and dropping each day. We are also awaiting the day till we are called to pickup the documents and do the "Document Dance".

Till the 3rd of July.....

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Cruiserking, 2 Cruisers in Georgia, and Ed & Bev,

Thank you for the wonderful welcome.

2 Cruisers in Georgia-We are also looking forward to meeting everyone.

Ed & Bev-We have also been big fans of Celebrity. When traveling with our teens we found that Celebrity offered an experience that we would enjoy as well as our girls. Having said that-I don't know what we will choose in the future. We were on the Mercury in March during the Noro outbreak and the way Celebrity handled it was deplorable. They seem to be having a lot of problems lately so I'm not sure if you would want to try them right now.

One question: Am I supposed to sign up for a CC party? If so, how would I do this.

Carol

Hi all. Thanks for all the welcoming words. Never thought I would participate in this type of thing, but must admit it really is fun to chat with folks and look forward to meeting them in person. I visited the Celebrity site this weekend (my daughter cruised to Bermuda on the Zenith a couple of weeks ago) and found this question: "Do you always post on the Roll Call Board when cruising?" It was interesting to read the responses and they all made sense, so I am here to hang out for the next ?? days.

2 cruisers in Georgia--I look forward to sharing different cruise experiences as well.

Karie and Marc -- Did some checking as to when we were on the Dynasty (memory does not always work) and it was in 1993 when it was under Charter to Cunard. (Does that count as my first Cunard trip?) Karie, I don't remember the paper thin walls. Maybe I should have paid better attention! Now you have me thinking.

Ed and Bev -- Regarding the travel from Westchester, I went to a wake in Staten Island last month and hated the road system to get there. Have not checked the directions yet, but am guessing the route is the same.

For the ladies -- still working on the festive red white blue evening attire and would like to avoid full floor length. Anybody have a feel for this. I love long, and I certainly love my red, white, and blue, but not in gown attire.

Catch you soon.

Jeanne

Hi to everyone who just joined the July 3rd cruise! I am very excited and am counting the days until we are on the ship.

I was just talking to someone from Cunard and they told me that the ship is almost full and that some categories have wait-lists. I was dreaming about upgrading us and was going to see what it would cost, but was told that the rooms are full. Probably couldn't afford the upgrade anyway but I thought it was worth a try.

Andiamo- I found a 3/4 length red halter style dress for July fourth. It is fun and flirty and I feel patriotic in it. Best of all my husband Adam said WOW when I came out of the dressing room :)

I have a few questions... How many suitcases will fit in an inside cabin? I had planned on 1 large suitcase for each of us and 1 suiter to share. Does an inside cabin have a closet? Do you know if inside cabins have tubs or showers?

Can't wait to see everyone on Monday night!

Deb and Adam

Karie and Marc -- Did some checking as to when we were on the Dynasty (memory does not always work) and it was in 1993 when it was under Charter to Cunard. (Does that count as my first Cunard trip?)

I say it counts. It was sold under Cunard label- so it counts!

For the ladies -- still working on the festive red white blue evening attire and would like to avoid full floor length. Anybody have a feel for this. I love long, and I certainly love my red, white, and blue, but not in gown attire.

Well, we are not on the Independence day, but the Labor day- However, I think it shouldn't be too difficult (even in my size!) to find, perhaps a red cocktail dress with a swingy full skirt, then a white princess length jacket- I hope I said that right, I mean where a princess waist would come to- short with short sleeves. Depending on the style, one could sew on a few gold star appliques and dress it up with a nice patriotic looking scarf tied around the neck, with brooch to hold it at a just-so jaunty angle (tied off to one side) Perhaps a muted blue sash-type belt could complete the ensemble. White sandals, of course. And I suspect as we get closer to the date, you will find many perky styles on sale in such places as Kohl's for a low-cost yet nice, attractive dress, or even Penneys. No need to go too expensive! Try on-line catalog shopping even now in Penneys or Kohl's

Here's what I found oin the womens>dresses> fun and flirty at Penneys- there were three or four red ones and a lovely white halter dress. This one is 69.99, but there was one on sale for 39.99.

Give it a whirl!

Or not!

Karie,

who is STILL fashion challenged!

Whatever you decide- have fun!

0900631b80e926e4R.jpg.fda6770ba4b407581d582305d8d6d9eb.jpg

I have a few questions... How many suitcases will fit in an inside cabin? I had planned on 1 large suitcase for each of us and 1 suiter to share. Does an inside cabin have a closet? Do you know if inside cabins have tubs or showers?

I was able to fit my very large 30in suitcase and 22in carry-on under the bed. Could have easily fit another 30in suitcase under the other bed; if not, I think QM2 will store luggage that won't fit in under the bed. Inside cabins have a wardrobe that will be adequate to store clothes for two of you on a five day cruise. It was certainly enough room for me to store all my clothes for a seventeen day cruise and I strongly believe in being prepared for every occassion (daily clothing changes for breakfast, pool, pub trivia, back to the pool, tea, and formal dinner:))

Inside cabins have showers (handicapped accessible may have a tub - I don't know). Bathroom was spacious enough for my need and much larger than the one we had on RCCL. Shower is quite dark as there is no light in there and just a heavy curtain to keep the water in. Shaving your legs will be a nightmare!

Looking forward to meeting you - you'll have a wonderful time!

One question: Am I supposed to sign up for a CC party? If so, how would I do this.

Carol

You don't need to sign up for the Cruise Critic Party. All you need do is show up at the Commodore Club, (deck 9 -forward) at 10pm on July 3. Once you're there just look around for the people with the "are you a Cruise Critic?" glint in their eyes and you're home free.

See you in 6 weeks.

Jonathan;)

WOW, LOTS OF POSTS SINCE I LAST CHECKED . TOOK ME A WHILE TO GET CAUGHT UP ON EVERYTHING GOING ON . WE ARE STILL MOVING SO IT HAS BEEN A REAL BUSY LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS . WE CLOSE ON OUR HOUSE ON THURSDAY SO WE WILL HAVE IT ALL BEHIND US AND BE ABLE TO CONCENTRATE ON THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE LIKE OUR SUMMER VACATION .

I'M STILL WORKING ON MY ATTIRE FOR THIS CRUISE ALSO . STILL NOT SURE ABOUT HOW MANY FORMAL NIGHTS THERE WILL BE, SO NOT SURE HOW MANY TO PACK . WE KNOW WE WILL HAVE THE RED,WHITE &BLUE BALL AND THE CAPTAIN'S GALA . MAYBE THERE WILL BE SOMETHING EVERY NIGHT !

CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO HIT THE 30 DAY MARK . WE ARE REALLY CLOSING IN ON THAT . :eek:

Atticus and July 3rd group,

Thank you for the cabin information. When friends told me that inside cabins are small I had visions of storing my suitcases in the tub. I also like to be prepared with enough clothes to give me a choice, but if I have to pick between packing more clothes or more shoes, the shoes always win :p

After reading some of the threads I am getting the idea that not all formal nights are known until you are on the ship. Is that true? I know we have one formal black and white night and a semi-formal red, white and blue night. Do you all think there could be more than that on a 5 night cruise?

Deb

Deb,

I'm betting we will have a special formal night in honor of Commodore Wawrick who is retiring. The Commodore is being honored in Halifax. Also, according to a Cunard press release there will be special commemorative evenings held in Commodore Wawrick's honor on June and July sailings. I have twice spoken with Cunard and twice learned that our trip includes two formals and one semi-formal. See you aboard.

Jonathan

* Never thought I would participate in this type of thing, but must admit it really is fun to chat with folks and look forward to meeting them in person. I visited the Celebrity site this weekend and found this question: "Do you always post on the Roll Call Board when cruising?"

Regarding the travel from Westchester, I went to a wake in Staten Island last month and hated the road system to get there. Have not checked the directions yet, but am guessing the route is the same.

Just look around for the people with the "are you a Cruise Critic?" glint in their eyes and you're home free.

Hi All,

I am writing this evening while in a few hours, the QM2 will be docking once again in RedHook on her 5/23 arrival. My wife & I have some tasks downtown and will for the first time try to get close and see her at the pier while she is in. We have viewed the dock empty. Hope we can get close. We know the backstreets near the Snapple garage.

Andiamo- If you have looked at my cruise history, I do have quite abit under my belt. I also must admit that I haven't written on the CC boards in the past till last fall. So I too am a novice to CC gatherings on board. But with this voyage and also on the Noordam cruise in Oct 06, I fine the people on the boards to be so warm and helpful. As one person said in the past how they can't wait to connect the names with the faces.

Also, if your unfortuate trip to SI took you on the same route past the Battery Tunnel exit on the BQE, you are on your way. Just make sure you get off the highway and follow the vib's the ship is sending to you.

cruiserking- I have to practice looking for that "glint". I expect alot of people maybe in that room. Not being onboard before, Would there be a certain area in the Club we would meet at? Our room us just two decks above. I will start to tutor myself to the deck plan at the beginning of June.

Till the 3rd,

Regards,

:) :) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

cruiserking- I have to practice looking for that "glint". I expect alot of people maybe in that room. Not being onboard before, Would there be a certain area in the Club we would meet at? Our room us just two decks above. I will start to tutor myself to the deck plan at the beginning of June.

There will probably be a lot of first time QM2 cruisers on this voyage. It usually takes a couple of days for people to discover the Commodore Club. If we all try and congregate in the area in the front by the bar we should have no difficulty finding each other.

Originally posted by Atticus

Do we have a secret handshake or gesture? Or do we just need to know the password? Swordfish, anyone?

I rather like the idea of a secret handshake, but can we create one prior to the cruise?

Or perhaps on July 3 we can concoct a secret handshake and practice it whenever we run into each other throughout our voyage.

Jonathan

I have also never done one of the CC get-togethers.

Do we have a secret handshake or gesture? Or do we just need to know the password? Swordfish, anyone?;)

Hi All,

I like the idea of a secert word.

In the words of the Marx Brothers - " Swordfish ". It would ID us and also drive everyone but anyone else onboard crazy trying to figure out who the Heck we are and what is this about.

Just kicking...............

Regards,

:eek: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi All,

This is a copy of a note I left for cruiserking on another thread. My wife & I living not to far in Brooklyn went down to Redhook terminal to see the QM2 who came into port today. I like to share this with all...............

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiserking

Hi Eslo,

Yes, she really looks fabulous today against that azure sky. You're in for a real treat. No matter how many pictures you've seen of this incredible ship, you will be mesmerized by her size when you behold her in person.

I continue to be riveted each time I encounter QM2. Grab me an Orangeade Snapple from the garage please, thanks. Cruiserking

Reply...........

Hi All and cruiserking,

WOW, you were right! She was beautiful! Against that crystal clear blue sky New York City has today she was Majestic! The length of her was Fantastic! I got a very good clear picture of her layout and design and it was easy to figure out her external & interior layout. Balconies galore.

She is so high and towering, that we saw her from the Belt Parkway, along the shore, before we got onto the Gowanus Expressway. That is a good 4-5 miles away. She even towers over the highest apartment house in the Redhook Projects. I am glad we live so close and to see her this way since on our day of arrival, we will be to busy unloading the luggage and running into the terminal and not get the opportunity to really look.

At the terminal property entrance we saw her with the old passengers coming off leaving and the new arrivals entering thru Van Brunt & Bowne St. Imlay Street was being blocked by NYC Police Department and directing cars to Bowne. Yes, NYC Police Department was everywhere.

Every gate entrance closed or open around the perimeter was manned by 2-4 Policeman on guard. Very heavy security was present. Also some streets were blocked with PD traffic wooden horses. This was 11:30AM and traffic was pretty heavy on Hamilton Avenue to Van Brunt past the Tunnel Entrance where it turned moderate.

By the Snapple Garage, the farest point, we saw all the activity by the terminal and also the outdoor parking lot heavily used. Going to try to take my parents to see her either on her return on 6/4 or 6/9 before she goes on her TA crossing. By the schedule someone is very lucky to have the opportunity to charter her on 6/4 for 5 days.

Again, this was an experience we definitely will want to repeat. Much different than seeing her in Manhattan on West Street.

Cruiserking, forgot to have a Snapple Orangeade but will have one soon. Glad to see you are a Orangeade fan, I love to drink them.

Regards,

ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

PS..... We should all pray for weather like today for 7/3 so you all can have the opportunity to see her as we did.

I rather like the idea of a secret handshake, but can we create one prior to the cruise?

Or perhaps on July 3 we can concoct a secret handshake and practice it whenever we run into each other throughout our voyage.

Jonathan

How about hands , fingertips together, pointed forward, weaving back and forth like the prow of a fast liner going through the waves? <G>

Karie, who rather likes the idea of a secret handshake

Just got my cruise ticket packet - a 32 page brochure in a thin black leather packet. No new information except for shipboard email address - no information on formal/informal nights. Packet included room/deck information, luggage tags, itinerary (all ports are dock except for Bar Harbor which is Anchor - so we will have tenders there), airport / ship transfers, and terms/conditions.

How about hands , fingertips together, pointed forward, weaving back and forth like the prow of a fast liner going through the waves? <G>

Karie, who rather likes the idea of a secret handshake

I like the subtleness... :D

Of course, Karie will be a stand out in the long, blue denim, ballgown with the plunging, studded neckline and CK can always wear a tiny tirantula lapel pin.

I know, everyone can bring their used popsycle sticks to the Commadore club and build an exact replica of the replica of the ship behind the bar. Nothing like a "group project" to break the ice! ( ...said the survivors of the Titanic...) ....kidding...kidding...

Karie, Cruiserking, and group,

The one problem that I see with a secret handshake is that it may force us to put down our martini glasses.

No problem I'll just bring a bunch of those super size straws, the ones that are provided with those exotic bowls of Poleneysian Libations.

Originally posted by Ladymacwilly

CK can always wear a tiny tirantula lapel pin.

That would be swell. I collect lapel pins, I think I would look quite dashing with a little brown reclusive one adorning my blaser.

Jonathan

Hi All,

10AM got a call from my AAA TA that the travel documents came in by courier from Cunard for my parents and us and come on down and pick them up.

Took a ride and picked them up and it feels good, it feels great!

No upgrades but we are very happy just to beable to be booked and on board. May God keep us safe to step aboard.

Hope to see all you other's Join the Dance Floor VERY, VERY, VERY SOON and keep the party going!

REDancedans002.gif

Regards,

:D ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi,

My husband and I were planning on driving to the port (from RI). We drive into the city frequently. However, hearing about how complicated the streets are and whether our car will still be there--we are reconsidering. We are thinking of taking the train (Penn Station) and a taxi to the port.

What would you recommend?

Thank you,

Carol

Archived