***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

Cunard overbooked.

Just received a fax from my TA saying that anyone booked in those categories above is being offered 4 day Canadian, Caribbean sampler or select TA with 2nd pax cruise fare free as onboard credit or free one way air. Plus a two cabin type upgrade. Available June/July sailings with possible later dates TBA.

We have decided not to jump at this "special offer".

Getting close now....see you all soon!

Cunard overbooked.

Just received a fax from my TA saying that anyone booked in those categories above is being offered 4 day Canadian, Caribbean sampler or select TA with 2nd pax cruise fare free as onboard credit or free one way air. Plus a two cabin type upgrade. Available June/July sailings with possible later dates TBA.

We have decided not to jump at this "special offer".

Getting close now....see you all soon!

Damn!

Why didn't I book this?

Of course I wouldn't have booked C or D

Are these for other cruises in July of THIS year? (I'd like to see the ship that can do a Canadian Caribbean Sampler in four days! No Port stops, Jet Assisted cruising!) Okay, I realized that was two separate listings finally! Or "Select" TA. When would that be? 2nd pax free as onboard credit? They're giving away a Pasenger? Would they be givng that to both passnegers booked on THIS cruise? So they get FOUR passengers? Would one be giving up this cruise or upgrading? (the 2 cabin class upgrade- for this cruise or the one they take instead?)

karie,

whose enquiring mind wants to know!

Good evening all.

Just got our tickets. They show the B4 category, but no cabin number. I assume we are still going, but obviously do not have a a guideline for boarding time. I guess I will have to go check out the deck plan to see where the B4's are located and either stick to the boarding time for the deck numbers within that category, or just go at noon ish and see what happens. Have never experienced this kind of thing before, but will try to just think of it as an adventure. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Beats the dickens out of me how this will go. After 28 cruises, it took the so called "luxury" liner to keep me in suspense!

Jeanne

Good evening all.

Just got our tickets. They show the B4 category, but no cabin number. I assume we are still going, but obviously do not have a a guideline for boarding time. I guess I will have to go check out the deck plan to see where the B4's are located and either stick to the boarding time for the deck numbers within that category, or just go at noon ish and see what happens. Have never experienced this kind of thing before, but will try to just think of it as an adventure. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Beats the dickens out of me how this will go. After 28 cruises, it took the so called "luxury" liner to keep me in suspense!

Jeanne

Jeanne, have you gone onto the web site - I'm drawing blank here- Where you can "personalize your cruise" or whatever it is- Too many things going through my mind right now. We discussed it on here.

Did you get blank luggage tags? If you are on a guaranty, perhpas you will be assigned in the next day or so, since it is apparently overbooked. They may still be trying to move people around. I would call Cunard first thing tomorrow. It doesn't hurt if they are overbooked to get your name in front of them. I'm a firm believer in "squeaky wheel syndrome!"

Good luck!

Karie,

Who doesn't seem to have that overbooking problem on the labor day cruise. I guess we'll be able to spred out. Do you think they'll upgrade me to one of the apartments before we go?

Dear Jeanne:

Go at noon, they don't really pay attention to the boarding times.

Also, we had blank luggage tags and were assigned a cabin at the pier.

The baggage handlers have a final manifest and they just write the cabin number in. It works perfectly. BTW: the cruise is not sold out. Have a great time.

Hey Karie,

I tried to find where the posting was to access the "personalize your cruise" info. If you come across it, or if the OP can repost this info it would be much appreciated. No rush. We leave in mid-August TA.

Best regards,

Sue,

Who truly hopes Karie finds herself decending the stairway of one of the duplexes on Labor Day in her oh so chique demin gown and a feathered Ascot Ball hat on her head (with lights, of course).;)

Hey!

You guys are the greatest. I've been out of state all day (Work) and just got home (MMM! Kentucky Fried for dinner!)

Hey, Here's another little bit on Cunard US I just came across. Not sure if this has been mentioned. All of the directions to the cruise temrinals along with which voyages are embarking/disembarking where!

Well, just the Bayonne anyway. Along with the free shuttle info.

And the directions to Brooklyn from various places.

http://www.cunard.com/Planner/Default.asp?plan_active=Connect

Karie,

Who still appears to be going out of Brooklyn

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Cunarder/default.asp?Active=Boo&sub=Personaliser

Here is the link, it is on the UK site but my info came up even though I'm in the US. Just need your name and booking number.

Sue

Thank you! That was something I wanted but couldn't find. I'm also in the U.S., and I was able to find my information without any problems.

Bill

Hi all,

I was offered the deal that was mentioned on here to leave the July 3rd cruise because I was in a cat D-5 which they must have over booked.

Here is what they offered me:

1.) The July 8th transatlantic with an upgrade to B3

2.) All transfers

3.) Airfair for myself and Adam from London back to NYC.

or

1.) A new England sampler in September

2.) Adam's whole passage in shipboard credit, that if not used would be refunded to us.

3.) Upgrade to a cat B3

We have planned and have been so excited for our July 3rd cruise and were looking forward to meeting everyone on Monday night but we are really considering the transatlantic.

I will let you all know what we decide. Any helpful advice?

Deb

We are booked on this cruise and are very excited about it. I am a bit confused about the formal nights etc. I have a long halter style dress for the RW&B ball and a black dressy pantsuit for the black and white night.

There will be 5 of us traveling together:

Morrie (msk68) DH Glenn, Mom - anne and 2 boys ages 3 and 5.

We are not planning any shore exc. in Boston but we are planning the Cadillac Mountain carriage ride in Bar Harbor and the High Tides and Fine Wines excursion in Halifax.

We made a crossing in October and it was fabulous! I am a bit distressed about the confusion on the formal nights. Like I read from someone else here, I have a snazzy blue dress for the RW&B ball that I am hiding from DH until that night.

We're on the 10th deck so we plan to board at noon.

I hope I am not too late to meet up with some of you enthusiastic Cunarders. I look forward to meeting you at the Commodore lounge where, last fall at least, Ian, the German bartender made an awesome Cosmo.

MDK68: WELCOME TO THE 5 OF YOU . IT'S NEVER TO LATE TO JOIN . OUR GROUP IS GROWING . I'VE JUST BEEN DAYDREAMING ABOUT THE FUN WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE IN JUST 9 MORE DAYS .

WHAT'S THE CONFUSION ?

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR FORMALS ALL PICKED OUT . SOUNDS GREAT TO ME . I HAVE MY LUGGAGE OUT AND AM ALREADY FILLING THEM . IT HELPS TO THINK ABOUT WHAT FUN WE ARE ABOUT TO HAVE IN A SHORT TIME .

LINDA G.

Greetings, Everyone!

My friend, John, and I will also be on the Independence Day sailing. We booked over a year ago, and were a bit dismayed that we have been getting almost daily calls from Cunard to allow them to rebook us because they have oversold the ship. (Somewhere on this posting thread, someone claimed knowledge that the ship is not overbooked. They certainly do NOT know the facts.) I have received one email from Cunard and at least three phone calls, so they must certainly be well overbooked.

We are not taking their offer, even though the transatlantic with free airfare seems a great trade, I have been on three crossings (QE2 and Caronia), and we were looking forward to an easy jaunt around the coast.

Does anyone know what Cunard may have planned for the Cruise Critic gathering?

Hi Everybody. Looking forward to meeting you at the Commodore Club. Haven't heard anything about a Cruise Critic Gathering. We have attended some on other cruise lines but didn't know if Cunard does this.:)

We've never sailed with the Cunard Line before and as we are beginning to pack, we are wondering if we will have a bathrobe in our room? Also, will we have shampoo & conditioner? What about a hair dryer? Does anyone know? Thanks. We're in Category B3.:confused:

I'm getting worried about the weather. I checked Yahoo weather today and all of our ports show rain next week and high temps in the 70's. All my cruise clothes are for the Caribbean. Guys can just take a jacket but jackets don't go with outfits unless they come with the outfit of course.:D

Is Cunard offering directly or is it the travel agent that is offering this re-booking? My friend and I booked directly with Cunard and we have not been contacted (although I wouldn't take the offer since it is just 9 days away) - just wondering.

Linda S

From earlier posts...yes, they have a hairdryer in the cabin. Shampoo / conditioner is provided by Canyon Ranch Spa. And there was a thread about the robes...I think robes are provided.

we are wondering if we will have a bathrobe in our room? Also, will we have shampoo & conditioner? What about a hair dryer? Does anyone know? Thanks. We're in Category B3.:confused:

Hi, Yes there should be bathrobes in your room (if not, ask, they will appear like magic). There are all the usual lotions in the bathroom (courtesy of Canyon Ranch). The supplied hair dryer wouldn't dry an ever so slighty damp, small piece of the thinest, finest material in the time it takes to do a world cruise, so if it's important, bring your own.

Enjoy your voyage, hope this helps.

The offer I am talking about (because the cruise is over-booked/over-sold) was a direct offer from Cunard. When I asked the woman what would happen if no one took their offer to give up their cabin, she told me that there would be people who would take the offer. However, she has called us (direct from Cunard) several different times asking if we had made up our minds about their offer.

When we first received our documents, we were not assigned to a specific category. I am hoping for an upgrade of some sort. (I had a friend book a transatlantic guarant. on the QM2, and he was upgraded from a Category D7 all the way up to the Queen's Grill accomod. -- but I am not planning to get that high of an upgrade!) As of today (June 24th) we have not been assigned a cabin, and have been told that they may not be able to assign it until we arrive at the ship on July 3rd. Still, I am not getting angry, as I am hoping that between my friend and I having sailed Cunard many times before, we will be given some sort of ungrade.

Still, what if the ship is oversold and no one gives up their cabins? I wonder what great offer Cunard will make then?

Does anyone know which categories are oversold or is it the entire ship? Has anyone received upgrade offers otherwise and is this a tacky question?

Thanks - new to all of this.

Morrie

I was contacted with an "URGENT" e-mail from Cunard about the offer to jump ship. I asked what categories were being offered to move off of the July 3rd cruise and was told cat C and D. They told me that they always try to overbook because people cancel, but this time no one was cancelling their C and D cat rooms so they were making this offer.

My husband and I have decided to take the offer because we will never be in a pricepoint to do a T/A in a cat B3. I fell in love with the Queen Mary 2 and had watched and waited until we could find a sailing that we could afford. To be offered a chance to do a T/A with airfare and transfers felt like winning the lottery for us.

Deb

I received this on my daily CUNARD google; it is a very nice article entitled: Commodore Ronald Warwick, Master of the QM2 - ENJOY !

See you all on July 3rd-We will take the hospitality transfer into Manhattan (early flight), enjoy a couple of sights and see you all in the afternoon (convenient option offered by CUNARD).

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,,1805150,00.html

Originally Posted by njguy_south

Does anyone know what Cunard may have planned for the Cruise Critic gathering?

Cunard has nothing to do with the Cruise Critics Gathering. I've organized CC gatherings on three occasions previously. It's really just an opportunity for the Cruise Critics, who've been chatting on this thread for the last few months, to meet up in person and share a cordial or two.

Global G, Deb & Adam, sorry you won't be joining us, have a great transatlantic journey, that's too sweet a deal to turn down.

Welcome Aboard JJ Hootie and Friends, Msk68 & NJ_GuySouth!

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom - Bonnie & John

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene, Joe, Stu & Linda

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed - Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

2Cruisers in Georgia - Ed & Wanda

Bexxma

Andiamo - Jeanne & Michael

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne & Mom

NJGuy South - ? & John

Look forward to meeting you all at the Commodore Club a week from tomorrow night at 10 pm.

Jonathan

Thanks ljs0928 (Linda) and Pepper for the info about shampoo & robes...it makes packing a littler easier.:D

Deb -- We will miss meeting you on the 3rd but we are very happy for you about your TA cruise. Sounds like a great deal to me too but we haven't been offered the deal although we are looking forward to this so much that it would be a hard decision.:)

Cruiserking -- Thanks so much for organizing a get together for all of us and for keeping the ongoing list of who we are. Can't wait to meet all of you.:)

Archived