***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

......We are expected to board at 12:30PM and we hope that Redhook has their act together as we are use to Manhattan after all these years.

Till we meet personally,

Regards,

:) ESLO - Ed S.

I just got off the phone with a Cunard rep. I had called with a question about internet access, but I asked her about the staggered boarding procedure. I told her we are Deck 6 scheduled for 1:30. I know there are many scheduled much earlier. Well her reply was that boarding for our cruise will not start until 1 PM. Does anyone have any idea if this is true, or is it just the standard BS to keep people from showing up early?

Also, to save me having to scroll back through all these messages, what time are we planning to get together? :o

Originally Posted by Sab490

Well her reply was that boarding for our cruise will not start until 1 PM. Does anyone have any idea if this is true, or is it just the standard BS to keep people from showing up early?

That sounds like a fairly standard reply. Boarding starts at Noon. We plan on arriving around 11:45 am. This past January we were aboard at Noon without a problem.

The Cruise Critic Get Together starts at 10 pm in Commodore Club - 9 deck forward. See you then.

Jonathan

I'm assuming that Cunard would have no problem with me posting the topics, so I have appended the lecture descriptions and bio that was prepared for the cruise.

What Cunard Doesn't Know Won't Hurt Them. Just Some Early Advertising To A Inside Group.

One additional question - what is the real story with the R,W&B and B&W balls? Dates? Formal (i.e., tux) or not? I'm probably more out of the loop than you, as I pick up my package on board.

A Subject That Is Still Puzzling Most Of Us. There Is Even A New Thread Below With Information. Won't Know Till We Board. At This Time You Are Definitely On The Same Boat As Us Is Some Ways.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=370410

LECTURE

1. Ships of the 21st Century - Bigger, Faster and Out of Sight

2. Starboard Is Not Always Right

Very Interesting Subjects That I Am Even Interested In And Wondered About. Posting Them Here Should Start A Group Forming That May Attend Your Session(s) Onboard.

BIO

Very Impressive Bio & Experience

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I just got off the phone with a Cunard rep. I had called with a question about internet access, but I asked her about the staggered boarding procedure. I told her we are Deck 6 scheduled for 1:30. I know there are many scheduled much earlier. Well her reply was that boarding for our cruise will not start until 1 PM. Does anyone have any idea if this is true

Hi All & sab490,

This will be the first time that we will be boarding the QM2 in this fashion.

We have never used this method with any other Cunard Ships. Never with the numerous sailings with the QE2 or the Caronia.

Just going by the rules stated in the Document Package Insert (Deck - 11 12:30PM). Also, since we only live 15-20 mins away in Bay Ridge, we will still be there early enough especially after the Suites & Penthouse passengers. We just want to embark and head for the Kings Court before the big crowds get there. If we are any earlier, we'll see what they say.

Thank you for your concern....

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

One additional question - what is the real story with the R,W&B and B&W balls? Dates? Formal (i.e., tux) or not? I'm probably more out of the loop than you, as I pick up my package on board.

I called my TA about this this morning having heard one thing from her and one thing from others. She worked for Cunard for 20 years prior to the Carnival takeover and so she called some of her friends who moved to California with Cunard. Here is what she found out.

Night 1 - casual

Night 2 - semi-formal

Night 3 - casual

Night 4 - formal

Night 5 - casual

I made my hair appts for night 2 and 4 a while back and I guess I'll keep them pending any changes. RW&B is a semi-formal event (why they are calling it a 'ball' is a mystery to me.) B&W night is formal. I've rented my DH a white dinner jacket to go with his tux. He'll wear a red vest and a white dinner jacket and he should look fine. I'm really disappointed that I won't be bringing my spiffy ball gown that I bought for the RW&B 'ball' but I guess I'll save it for March (Crossroads of Civilization on the WC) when I'm certain I'll have opportunity to use it. So that is what I know. My TA said she would keep my updated with absolutely anything that she heard.

HTH!

Morrie

Thanks for the nice welcome. I'm assuming that Cunard would have no problem with me posting the topics, so I have appended the lecture descriptions and bio that was prepared for the cruise.

1. Ships of the 21st Century - Bigger, Faster and Out of Sight

What will a cruise ship look like in coming decades and beyond? What about cargo ships and naval vessels? This presentation offers insight and speculation on what we will expect to see of boats and ships in the future - and some of it is right out of science fiction.

2. Starboard Is Not Always Right

Ever wonder what that "bulby-thing" is under the front of the ship? What are all those things with odd names - like plimsol, starboard and wake? "Three sheets to the wind" isn't about bed linen, and you never want to get "between the devil and the deep blue sea". Learn the answers to these and other questions about boats and ships, as well as many of the maritime references that make up our English conversation.

I am so jealous!

Don, what's the chance you will also be lecturing on the Labor day cruise?

And don't worry about spilling the beans. Other lecturers from Cunard have been on this board before!

Karie,

Who so wishes she were on this cruise... AND the Labor Day one!

Well, I will be in Jones Bech on Saturday. We may be sleeping in the car, though, as I have not gotten our hotel yet.

Ronkonkoma, anyone?

Karie,

Ronkonkoma, anyone?

Are you taking the Bridgeport Ferry back? There are a lot of hotels around the Islip Airport, Commack, Islandia area.

Hampton Inn Courtyard Holiday Inn Econo Lodge Marriott Residence Inn.

I live in Suffolk County, so if you need help getting a hotel in a certain area, let me know and I'll try to help out. You may pay a premium price due to the holiday but it's better than driving back to Connecticut.

All the best,

Sue

Who wishes she was going to see Buffet at the Beach!

Hi All,

***** Qm2 July 3/2006

The Thread Is Really Active:

8 Pages Large

282 Messages Posted Between Us

And 7,944 People (Including Us) Have Viewed This Thread, Showing Them How "Excited We Are About This Cruise!".

T MINUS 4 Days Approx. 15 Minutes

The Passengers of the QM2 Independence Sampler Cruise will be boarding.

Till Then......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

I was just wondering if there was anyone in there 20s-30s going on the July 3rd cruise on the QM2. Let me know!!!

We have a couple of folks in our group in their 30's. I've always felt that age should be measured by colors instead of numbers. I'm green this year. Any other greens out there, how about chartreuse?

See you in 4 days!

Jonathan

What about lime green?

You know, ... "When you said your colors were green and white, I pictured something like avocado ... not lime green. Why did you ever choose those colors? The sorority colors are blue and baby blue. And the university colors are blue and red. And the high school colors were blue and gold. It only makes sense to have blue. Green is better for weddings. I mean, you can serve all sorts of green things ... cucumber sandwhiches, green salad, green grapes. It makes it easier for teas and showers. You can make a punch for the reception out of ginger ale and lime sherbet. There's no such thing as blue sherbet. I guess blue food is a turn off. Well, of course. When I was deciding on a color I told Ted that I felt rotten about not using blue. I mean, he loves blue, too. But I thought it would be easier to deal with lime. And he said, 'Blue or lime, who cares? Big ****** deal.'" ... so ever since, it has been lime green for me.

See you on board!

And ... for the Labor Day voyage, guess we'll be all black and red ... wait'll they get a load of the Harley table! But that's Labor Day ... first I'm doing lime green. :)

See you on board!

And ... for the Labor Day voyage, guess we'll be all black and red ... wait'll they get a load of the Harley table! But that's Labor Day ... first I'm doing lime green. :)

Hi All & Brightwaters,

Welcome aboard Brightwaters! Glad to see you added to the listing of voyagers. Cruiseking (Jonathan) is Our Fearless Leader of this thread of Cunarders.

T MINUS 3 DAYS........

Till then.....

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Hi All of you 4th of July cruisers.

Just wanted to wish you all a fantasic voyage.:D

It has been great fun reading this entire thread and I am going to miss you all.:(

We will await your return and look forward to your postings of your time aboard.

Brightwaters - when you return - please join us Labor Day cruisers on the roll call threads.

Maria - who wishes you all clear skies, calm seas and spectacluar fireworks

Karie,

Ronkonkoma, anyone?

Are you taking the Bridgeport Ferry back? There are a lot of hotels around the Islip Airport, Commack, Islandia area.

Hampton Inn Courtyard Holiday Inn Econo Lodge Marriott Residence Inn.

I live in Suffolk County, so if you need help getting a hotel in a certain area, let me know and I'll try to help out. You may pay a premium price due to the holiday but it's better than driving back to Connecticut.

All the best,

Sue

Who wishes she was going to see Buffet at the Beach!

That's wild.

My friend who lives near somewhere on Long Island (Damn if I can find their address!) Her name is Sue- Suggested the same thing! I will be meeting he and her husband Bob at Jones Beach (Zack's bay) They will have their car fully loaded. They are leaving right after the show for JFK, where they're heading for St Thomas for 19 days!

Another crazy day at work today and didn't get a chance to do this. I have to look now, but I am figuring somewhere around Islip is probably a good idea. Yes, we are taking the Port Jeff Ferry. You know, it's funny. Here in Connecticut, we call it the Port Jeff Ferry (where it goes TO, on Long Island) I guess there, you call it the BRIDGEPORT ferry! For the other end!

Well, I'll try to read everyone's posts now- Maria keeps me on the phone all night! (ducking!)

So thanks, I will try to look right now around Islip I was looking too close to Jones Beach and the City, like The Best Western Bar Harbor at Masspequa and the Freeport Boatel, both of which we have stayed at. Even the Hampton Inn in Rockville Center was already booked up three days ago!

Karie,

Who, like the cobbler's kids who go barefoot. always waits til the last minute to book her own stuff!

P.S. Sue- You can always head to down Amagansett- Sometimes Jimmy shows up at Stephen's Talkhouse- He has a place in the Hamptons or Sag Harbor- on the water, so he could tie up his amphibeous plane there. (which he no longer flies. It is decommisioned and resides in Orlando right now. HORRORS- what a thing to do to a beautiful plane!) But he used to fly it in and go fishing where I almsot put my pane- Goodspeed Landing, which has a regular airport and a seaport.

Any other greens out there, how about chartreuse?

I'm very partial to Green Chartreuse - the only problem is that they don't carry it in the bar for the Grand Lounge, they have to go to the Yacht Club for it.

I'm not sure but I think I met you on the QM2 last year for a Transatlantic the last week in June. I was traveling with my then 14 year old daughter Mia and we met on the bus ride from London to Southhampton. If you are who I think you are you too had a daughter around the same age.

To Cruiserking Jonathan - I also now remeber who you are from my 1st voyage on the QM2!!

I can't wait to get on this ship again, we need a break and I can't think of a better place to unwind than the QM2. Mia right now is at the 2006 World-Scholar Athlete Games and has been going non stop with activites and lectures from Bill O'Rielly, President Bill Clinton, Bode Miller and tonight Sen. George Mitchell. They have been keeping the kids busy from 6:30 am - 11:30 pm every day and I have been running back and forth from home in North Providence to the University of RI volunteering for the past week, this in addition to my 50 hour a week job! Her 10 day stay ends on Sunday so no rest between events it's just on to the next one!

See you in a few days!

Malinda

Hey Karie,

No, we call it the Port Jeff Ferry here too.

I saw Jimmy many years ago (when they were still serving drinks) at Jones Beach. He had his boat docked behind the stage. Nice.

I've been to Stephen Talkhouse a couple of times. I avoid the East End during the summer months, though, it is a mad house.

Hope you have a great time this weekend.

Good luck finding a hotel. Sometimes waiting to the last minute is a good thing!

Best regards,

Sue

Yes, best to avoid the East End during the summer months ... and what better way to do it than board the QM2 Monday! I am SO ready.

Also am rather partial to Green Chartreuse; I'll ask for it at ALL bars ... sometimes those on ship listen and speak up @ meetings and maybe this outcry from the public will be heard and all bars will be so stocked. :)

Abs

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom - Bonnie & John

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene, Joe, Stu & Linda

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed - Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

Ribble - Judy & Rich

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

2Cruisers in Georgia - Ed & Wanda

Bexxma

Andiamo - Jeanne & Michael

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne, Logan & Brad

NJGuy South - Robert & John

Susietb - Susie

JDGGG

MaritimeLectures - Don & Mum

Aingeal

Brightwaters

Cruiseking (Jonathan) is Our Fearless Leader of this thread of Cunarders.

Ed (Eslo)

I'm quite flattered to have achieved Fearless Leader Status of the Cunard thread. I think then it is only fitting that you should be named as Royal Ambassador and Official Greeter of this 7/3/06 Thread of Cunarders.

We ought to contact the home office in Red Hook and have some special lapel pins made up. Or at the very least, a visit to the QM2 florist for a Carnation.

Look forward to meeting you and Bev at the Commodore Club in 3 days!

Jonathan;)

Hi All,

Accuweather reports:

NYC Weather

Mon. 7/3 H-88 L-70 UV-6 Periods of Clouds & Sun

(Good Weather To Touch The Roadway of The VZ Bridge While Going Under

Cruiseking Knows The Way>>> )

Boston

Tues. 7/4 H-84 L-68 UV-5 Part Sunny Seasonal Warm Humid

Chances of Showers - Possible T Storms

Bar Harbor

Wed. 7/5 H-75 L-54 UV-5 Periods Clouds & Sunshine

Possible Showers or T Storms

Halifax

Thurs. 7/6 H-79 L61 UV9 Sunshine

Not bad.....

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

I'm not sure but I think I met you on the QM2 last year for a Transatlantic the last week in June. If you are who I think you are you too had a daughter around the same age.

See you in a few days!

Malinda

Dear Malinda & Ab Ovo,

Sorry, but it was not I. This is our first voyage on the QM2. Many on the QE2 but not the QM2. Last year we had passed up taking a cruise and enjoyed land travel by car. Also we are just husband and wife minus childern.

We have been in London in the past twice and loved it. Would like to visit it again if possible and found Southampton also interesting.

Hello and welcome aboard, Ab Ovo. Eastern Long Island is a far cry from Redhook. Make sure that the Longest Parking Lot :confused: (Long Island Expressway) in the East doesn't delay your arrival to Brooklyn.

T MINUS 3day 20mins.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Ed (Eslo)

I'm quite flattered to have achieved Fearless Leader Status of the Cunard thread. I think then it is only fitting that you should be named as Royal Ambassador and Official Greeter of this 7/3/06 Thread of Cunarders.

We ought to contact the home office in Red Hook and have some special lapel pins made up. Or at the very least, a visit to the QM2 florist for a Carnation.

Look forward to meeting you and Bev at the Commodore Club in 3 days!

Jonathan;)

Dear Jonathan,

My wife (Bev) got a kick out of this! I'm just a spoke in the wheel of this thread and commend you for your dedication to us weary travelers by the time we get to the pier.

Being on the QM2 for the first time, I hope we are not late making our way to the Commodore Club via the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel :confused:.

Your advise (another thread) about using Deck 13 in front of the funnel to view the VZ Bridge is very good advise. Please advise the rest of the thread.

With Warm Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Wow I'm glad this week is over. We've worked our rear ends off to get next week off. Leaving tomorrow for a few days in New York before the cruise. Today is my daughter Katie's 14th birthday. She's a lucky girl, almost all of her birthdays have been on a cruise ship, she's celebrated every birthday onboard since she's only missed the date by a day or 2 a couple of times. We have a picture with her birthday cake for every cruise. This will be her 15th cruise.

We look forward to seeing everyone Monday night.

Sue, Katie, Larry

Clint, Lucille, Kelsey

Welcome aboard Ab Ovo. We're practically neighbors, I'm a 11963. Born and bred in NYC but, out here for about 8 years now. Three in our group are from the East End. The thought of sailing away on July 3 makes this weekend's convoy of traffic a LOT easier to endure.

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom - Bonnie & John

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene, Joe, Stu & Linda

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed - Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Nancy

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

Ribble - Judy & Rich

CruiseShelly - Shelly

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

2Cruisers in Georgia - Ed & Wanda

Bexxma

Andiamo - Jeanne & Michael

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

JJ Hootie & Friends

Msk68 - Morrie, Glenn, Anne, Logan & Brad

NJGuy South - Robert & John

Susietb - Susie

JDGGG

MaritimeLectures - Don & Mum

Aingeal

Brightwaters

Ab Ovo

Jonathan

On the Royal Ambassador's advice, my good friend Ed (Eslo), here is a reprint from another thread discussing the optimum spot to enjoy sailaway from the QM2.

Originally Posted by Cruiserking

I would recommend going up to deck 12. Once you get there you will find a set of stairs outside and then an additional flight which will take you up to a sort of observation area, just in front the funnel.

This is my favorite perch when sailing out of New York. The helicopters will be buzzing around like giant bees and the view of the Verrazano is quite spectacular. You will pass so closely under the bridge that you almost feel the need to duck.

Have a great voyage.

Cruiserking

Archived