Taxi to Sea Grape Beach

OliverTheCat

I just read a cruise review from someone that recently went to Sea Grape Beach, and she said that the taxi drivers try to encourage you to go to Royal Palms(i think?) or something instead of Sea Grape because "of construction in area" and such. The party said they went to Sea Grape anyway after the taxi driver giving them problems about it and there was NO construction.

Anyone else have this experience?? We really are set in going to Sea Grape and all, but I dont want to be harrassed by a taxi driver to take me to a "more popular destination"

Sea Grape is further up the beach and I suspect that the driver was concerned about getting caught in traffic. Until quite recently some of those delays were due to construction of the new Ritz Carlton hotel. Thankfully, the bulk of that work is completed and traffic flows through that area somewhat more freely.

Cayman taxi fares are according to destination and do not have allowances built in to increase fares for time not in motion. Cabbies make the most if they can do many trips, and they often prefer that their first run is short so they can quickly return to the terminals and queue up for their next run.

Had the same thing happen to a good friend of mine a few months ago. She asked the driver at the pier if she could go to Sea Grape and they told her yes. They took her to Royal Palms and told her it was a better place. Luckily it wasn't her first time around so she demanded that they take her to Sea Grape. They didn't like it but finally took her. She had a great time and thanked me for reccomending Sea Grape.

Someone posted their website a few weeks back www.seagrapebeach.com hadn't seen it before but they've got some pretty good shots on the photo album

We were there for a week (last week), and I didn't see any construction near Sea Grape. We didn't stop and look around, but Sea Grape looked really nice...and although there were quite a few buses and cars, it didn't seem crowded.

I agree that I would guess that the cabs don't want to go all the way down to Sea Grape (since they charge a flat fee). It's quite a bit further down, and the traffic there at times, was very congested. Especially around the Ritz.

We also noticed that on days with lots of ships in ports, the traffic was a mess. There were so many of those tour buses, that it was hard to get around. The cabs probably want to drop you closest to the port as possible. I'd be firm, and tell them where you want to go. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship.

HI,

I'm the one who originally posted that our Taxi driver encouraged us to get out at either Royal Palms or Coloney Beach Club. It was a 4.00 Cab ride to there. 5.00 to go to Sea Grape or Public Beach. I do think the cab driver just wanted to get back to the pier to pick up his next load of tourist. Also we had a van that probably head 20 or so people. Everyone except my family of 4 & 2 other people were the only ones going to Sea Grape. Also, there wasn't any traffic when we left to get back to the port around 2:00pm. In fact we had an awesome van taxi that took a short cut & only charged us 4.00 ea for our return trip.

I just wanted to let people know that Sea Grape is awesome. Less crowded & that if the taxi driver encourages you to get out at their place DONT! There is no fee to get on the beach but I've heard that the Coloney Beach club tries to charge you 10.00 fee. Sea Grape is totally free, unless you rent a chair.

Good Luck & Have a blast!

Sue

Archived