My Zenith Review from 1st time cruiser.

dcruisedog

We just returned home from our Zenith cruise on 1/14. First of all, let me say that we had a wonderful time. Sure there were some negatives, but the overall experience was excellent.

We arrived at the Port of Miami at around 11:00 AM and checked in rather quickly, but had to wait to board the ship until around 12:00 PM. The boarding process was a little disorganized, but it didn't take too long.

Once on board everyone headed to the buffet on deck 11. There was quite a long line when we got there but we waited patiently. It was a little annoying watching some of the older (65+) passengers jump in at the front of the line. One couple got off of the elevators and walked right up to the front of the line like they owned the place. A couple of people who had waited in the line said something to them. The man gave a big goofy smile and replied "I can't tell my right from my left, how am I supposed to tell the front of the line from the back?" and he and his wife stayed there in line.

Suggestion: When you board, rather than waiting in line at the Windsurf Cafe, walk past the long lines to the back of the cafe to the pasta and pizza bar or the grill outside where there are little or no lines.

Our room (inside cabin 6073) was quite adequate. We had a double bed that was comfortable and plenty of room. The bed spread appeared dirty, but we just turned it down. Our room was cleaned at least 2 times a day by Bambang who was extreemly friendly and professional.

We thought the food overall was excellent. The dining room was nice and we ate there every night. We had lobster one night which was very good. The only complaint we had was that the Prime Rib had to be served well done and it was a little tough. My waitress asked how it was and when I told her it was tough, she asked if she could bring me another meal. I had her bring me the duck which was excellent.

The entertainment was excellent, from the Celebrity Singer and Dancers to the magician and the comedian.

Tendering in Cozumel went smoothly. The first part of the day there was really rainy, but then the sun came out and we enjoyed a nice afternoon at Paradise Beach.

Costa Maya was great, especially after leaving the port stores and taking a taxi ($3/person) into the little village there. My wife got a 45 minute message for $15 which she said was awesome.

Before leaving on our cruise I posed a question in this forum about informal night and whether or not a jacket was a "must" for men. Some of the responses I recieved suggested that Celebrity was more of an "upscale" line, and one person even suggested that I consider booking on another cruise line if I didn't want to wear a jacket. What a joke! While the Celebrity staff were extremely professional and friendly, the passengers were just ordinary, every day people. I didn't see Thurston Howell III, or Lovie on board, and informal night brought all kinds of attire. I did end up wearing a jacket, but I was the only one at my table with one on. No mention was made about who was wearing what at dinner, we all just enjoyed ourselves and had a great time.

Thanks for the review.

Where did you go in Majahual for the massage after you took the taxi from Costa Maya? Was it a "curbside vendor" or what? Thanks.

I'd read here that there is a military style truck that transports you to town for $3 each unless you walk past the dock and get a taxi. Which was yours? I'd heard the taxi was $2 a head. How about coming back, was it difficult to find a taxi?

Did you go to the ruins on a privately booked tour or stay at the beach there?

Phyllis,

I didn't see any military type trucks there. We actually were transported by van with others wanting to go to Majahual which cost $3 per person. There were plenty of taxi's at the top of the road where the van dropped us off. When we were finished shopping and swimming, we walked back up to the top of the road and got a taxi for $2 per person to take us back. You must show your sea pass to get past the guarded gate to the port.

Majahual consisted of one long road that runs parallel to the beach. The messages are on the beach side of the road under awnings. There are several places offering messages, and it seemed the more we declined and kept walking, the cheaper the price got.

The stores at the port seemed too commercialized, if that makes sense. I like the real feel of Mexico that I felt in Majahaul. I met and talked with interesting people there some of which came from Cancun after the hurricane passed through and the tourist stopped coming. Costa Maya was my favorite port.

We had planned and excurssion there that was cancelled due to lack of participation so we hung out in Majahaul.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review, I read your previous post, and agree that most people are very uptight about the way other people dress. I have read various reviews on the Zenith and my impression was that the dress code was a little more laid back because of such short cruises. I'm glad you had a great time. You did mention that you thought the bedspread was stained. Was it the solid color bedspread, or the the newer softer colored one. Did the carpeting in your room seem new? I think the Caribbean deck is only partially finished. So inspite of all the people who gave you such a hard time about your simple question, would you sail Celebrity again?

Slotaddict,

Our bed spread was a multi colored one. It was not worn, but just generally dirty. The carpet didn't appear to be new to me, but it was in very good condition.

You may have read on other threads that the crew are constantly spraying a bleach solution on all of the hand rails on the stairs trying to prevent the spread of illness. They spray and don't wipe it down so that rails are wet, and all of the glass below the railing is streaked. I've read that some even complained about sores on their hands from the bleach. I had a sore on one of my fingers while on the cruise that I am now thinking I got from this spray.

I would definitely consider cruising with Celebrity again. We had a great time.

One thing I was a little disappointed in was the fact that they didn't have their sushi bar on our cruise even though it appeared in the daily. Oh well, I gained enough weight without it.

Have a great cruise.

Archived