iPod hookups on the Jewel?

Bill N

Hi All,

I've searched this forum and read many posts about iPod solutions in the cabin, but nothing specific about the Jewel Of The Seas. I read somewhere that the Jewel has different in-cabin entertainment system than the other ships.

Is this true, and is there a place to hookup an iPod without bringing a set of speakers?

I was just going to buy a USB charger, but if there's nothing to connect the iPod to (radio, cd player, etc), then I may opt for buying a speaker unit that also charges.

Thanks,

Bill

I cannot imagine that any Vision class ship has anything other than a clock radio type 'stereo' = so you can bring a iTrip or one of the other transmitters. We will be in a suite and thus have a more sopisticated sound system in teh suite and will be bringing a input cable to allow us to run the ipod through the stereo system. That just requires a $3 patch cable,

monster also makes a double CD case portable speaker system that I brought to Hawaii last year to use in the condo and house and it works great - sound is pretty decent for what you would expect from a pair of full range speakers mounted in a cd case sized plastic box. It is battery [or adapter powered but the adapter costs more than the unit itself!- get one at walmart . target / dollar store propertly powered]

you can always bring a small $75 boombox and use that for power - if you are driving. . .

Thanks.

Buy.com has a really good deal on an Altec Lansing dock (InMotion IMPLUS) with attached speakers that's the size of a hardcover book for $59 (w/free shipping) ($55 if you go through Dealcatcher.com) with all the cables and travel adapters and a pair of earbuds. I'm going to go that route. The sound won't be stellar, but the reviews of this unit on various sites are really strong, so it will give me both a charger and "listenable" speakers for travel.

No, there is not a set up so you can hook your iPod up on any RCI ship, or actually any cruise ship that I know of.

"Really...How much time are you going to be spending in the cabin listenin to music?"

There are plenty of times to listen to music in the cabin - in the morning when you're getting ready for the day, early evening while you're getting ready for dinner, nights when we "retire early", times when we have friends to the cabin, etc.

It's not just a cruise solution, you can take it anywhere, including places with no electricity since it can also run on batteries. It's just an alternative.

I'm not exactly sure why you posted this comment, but now you have your answer.

Really...How much time are you going to be spending in the cabin listenin to music?

We spent several hours each day with our Altec speakers on (they had very good sound for what they are, BTW) - getting ready in the morning, after our afternoon nap, getting ready for dinner. It's quite nice to have your own music instead of listening to the background Muzak on the TV.

Here's a slight hijacking of the thread: is there such a thing as a universal charger that could accomodate a cell phone, iPod and other electronics, or is that just a pipe dream? My carryon bag must look like the makings of a bomb when it goes through security!

Hi Critterchick - Yes there is, It's called iGO. Its a universal charger. They make specific, unique tips of each piece of equipment. A little confusing at first to figure it all out, but it's one of the best investments I've made. igo.com.

Well I just wanted to give you my opinion...But we all are entitled to our own aren't we?...If you goto RadioShack, You can buy the iGO charger for around 30 bucks and they will give you the tip for your ipod for free..it's usually 10 bucks...Thats what they did for me when I bought one for my cellphone

I use similar speakers like the Altec with my laptop in my room, the music stays on almost all the time, anyone with a music player ,( Mp3, i Pod, Walkman, you get what I mean,) can use these speakers, I personally use my laptop with a Dj program that mixes all my music files, called PCDJ, but if you don't have a dj program you can use windows media player and set it up in a way that the next song over laps the one playing and is like you have a personal Dj , and remember that maybe the next door neighbor may not like your music so the small speakers do just fine even if you blast the speakers the sound does not travel thru the walls, if anything you may hear the music as you walk by the door. I also leave the music on when I'm not in my room and all of my room stwearts love to hear my music and they stay longer, happy cleaning my room thus having a cleaner room than those that are quiet.

So there is a whole week of time to play music and we don't miss a show or not go down to the night clubs, and when is time sleep just lower the volume and play soft music or just shut the speakers off.

Musically yours Truelly

Cancunspy

Hi All,

I've searched this forum and read many posts about iPod solutions in the cabin, but nothing specific about the Jewel Of The Seas. I read somewhere that the Jewel has different in-cabin entertainment system than the other ships.

Is this true, and is there a place to hookup an iPod without bringing a set of speakers?

I was just going to buy a USB charger, but if there's nothing to connect the iPod to (radio, cd player, etc), then I may opt for buying a speaker unit that also charges.

Thanks,

Bill

What type of room are you in? OS and RS have an entertainment center where you plug Ipod into. Click on the webshot link under my signature and take a look. It was nice to have some sounds while relaxing. I also showed our cabin attendant how to us it. He said he enjoyed listening to my Reggae while cleaning our stateroom.

Archived