Buying Tequila

662c

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL!  While I might agree with you on principle, you are wrong to tie the percentage of alcohol to Tequilia in the USA vs Mexico.  For example, one of the more popular cheap Tequilia's in Mexico (used by many bars) is called El Compadre which I believe is only 30%  alcohol...although it is 100% Agave.  But El Compadre costs about $5 a liter :).  The truth is that plenty of Mexicans (and we Gringos who live in Mexico at least part of the time) buy cheap Tequilia on either side of the border.  Keep in mind that the largest selling brand of Tequila in mexico is El Jimador (I use their reposado in my margaritas) which is hardly anything special.   When we first started living in Mexico (13 years ago) it was nearly impossible to find any Patron Tequilia in Puerto Vallarta.  Now, the decent liquor stores sell Patron because it is something wanted by Americans (not sure any Mexicans drink the stuff).  But I do think that Patron is quite decent...if not a bit overpriced.

Hank

To each their own. Patron is crap compared to many finer tequilas. 

Clase Azul used to be my goto but since then I’ve found many better and finer extra anejo tequilas on different trips to MX. 

Sipping tequilas rival some bourbons and the market is growing and expanding for quality tequilas. 

Go go try some Cava de Oro Extra Anejo and reply back. Until then, you’re missing some of the great tequilas of Mexico. 

As for mixed drinks, I have a few goto brands but never Patron. 

Try some Tiera Sagrada if you want an elevated experience. I was blown away and bought a few on our last trip. 

https://www.oldtowntequila.com/tierra-sagrada-extra-anejo-tequila/

And in the states tequila must be 40% to be legally imported. And that’s why you won’t find many of the better tequilas stateside. They’re only available in MX. 

Edited by CA_Cruzing