Partial trip through Panama Canal

SunSeaSand

We did this trip in April, 2018. It was awesome! It's quite the sight to see all the ships awaiting their appointed time to go thru. You sail into the canal from the ocean, go under the huge new bridge being built. As you get near, they had a lady on the loudspeakers and thru the tv telling you everything that's going on as well as history of the Canal. Be sure to look hard in the trees just before you get into the first lock, there were a dozen or so monkeys watching! We had a balcony room on deck 4 aft so we really had a great view as you go thru the locks, you're so close to the wall. There were a lot of crew who hadn't been thru either and it was neat to see them excited and taking pictures like us tourists!  Anyway, you go thru three locks and out into Gatun Lake. There we awaited our appointment time to go back thru the same 3 locks to the Atlantic. I heard they had tried to get a short excursion for us, but didn't have enough time. During the time you're waiting in the lake, they have a big Panama Canal souviner sale up on lido so you are able to purchase tee shirts and stuff like that. This trip was one of the best ones I've ever done, so interesting and just amazing how it was built. I sincerely hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. 

We will be doing a partial canal cruise in May on the Carnival Sunrise from New York. Last time we did this was back in 2002 and can't wait to see how much it has changed with the new canal and bridge.

7 hours ago, psupa said:

We will be doing a partial canal cruise in May on the Carnival Sunrise from New York. Last time we did this was back in 2002 and can't wait to see how much it has changed with the new canal and bridge.

We were on Sunshine in November for a Family cruise, everyone really enjoyed the ship, so hope you will as well. When we did the Panama Canal cruise on Miracle, we went thru the old locks. I was a little disappointed you couldn't really see the new locks. We did see a huge container ship heading to go in and as it was going thru, you could see the top 2 rows of the containers going thru the trees. Since Sunshine is a bit larger than Miracle, you may go thru the new locks.

enjoy your trip and let us know if you enjoyed it.