Fort Lauderdale Shopping?

Lakookoo

We'll be cruising from Fort Lauderdale on 28 January, and staying at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper the night before. We would like to pick up some soft drinks (to "smuggle" on board for the kids) and anything else we might have forgotten in the flurry of packing (spare sunglasses that don't cost hundreds of dollars, for another thing). Can any native Fort Lauderdale folks -- or anyone who has gone the same route -- give me a sense of what kind of grocery or other markets might be in the vicinity? It looks as though there are a lot of high-end shops on Las Olas Blvd. (new Bang & Olafsen sound system, anyone?) but I can't find anything "un-touristy", like a pharmacy or grocery store.

I'm sure that the concierge at the hotel will be able to direct us, but I have to admit that I don't always trust their advice to be unbiased :rolleyes:.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a Florida native who lived in the Las Olas area for many years. Most shops on Las Olas are higher-end, but there's a 7-Eleven on the corner of Las Olas and 15th Street, a CVS on the corner of Broward Blvd/US1, and a Publix on NW 6th Street/Andrews Avenue (although you have to cross the bridge to the south side of the river). Walgreens are located at US1/Davie Blvd and Avenue of the Arts/Broward Blvd, right near the Science Museum.

There's also a Winn-Dixie and a Publix on 17th Street west of the bridge.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! It might seem a tad obsessive-compulsive to try and plan this piddly amount of shopping well in advance . . .:rolleyes: but we'll be coming in by plane from the Great White North (Canada) so who knows what weather delays in Toronto might arise to shorten my errand-running time.

Now off to Google maps to plan my route!

Lakookoo

You didn't say what cruise line; we've cruised on Royal Caribbean and there's no problem bringing soda or bottled water on board. We asked our room steward to clear out our fridge so we could put our own stuff in; he did so with no problem. Anyway, if you're going RCCL, don't worry about having to "smuggle" it in. Maybe other posters would know about other cruise lines.

Archived