Rev. Neal

LHC

Linda,

If I had to choose just on the basis of the ship the choice would be very easy: Volendam. I've been on both ships and, while I love the Maasdam and have cruised on her twice, the Volendam is a lovely ship and, indeed, is my favorite Damship.

I would have difficulty deciding -- we were on the Maasdam at Christmas, and I was on the Volendam in October -- we have also sailed several times on Volendam's sister, the Zaandam. Both are extremely lovely ships and both have their pros and cons. The art collection on the Maasdam is incredible and far superior to that on the Volendam. The Maasdam is a bit smaller so it isn't particularly easier to get around, but it is somewhat quicker -- but then the Maasdam does not have the advantage of the center stairs and elevators that you find on the Volendam.

I made friends with folks on both cruises, but I think that the smaller size of the Maasdam made new friendships a bit easier.

Traffic patterms are easier to negotiate on the Volendam, the Volendam has more extensive shops than Maasdam since it is larger -- both ships have a great crew who go out of their way for you and your comfort.

IMHO you would be happy on either ship. Not a bad choice there.

At Christmas/New Years you should be aware that the Maasdam sails out in the Atlantic up to Norfolk and you may have some significant seas on the first or last days out that you may not have to deal with on the Volendam -- but then we had significant seas on the last day back to Port Canaveral on our Christmas 2004 cruise on the Zaandam -- at that time of year seas happen.

Our first night on the Zaandam we have entertaining seas....I kept watching the Christmas Tree in the Pinnacle behind my daughters head swoop and sway....not a single ornament bit the deck...(veryyyy interestinggggg).

Then watching my elders (not that I am a young chick) stagger back and forth to the elevators without imbibing...was side splitting (of course, daughter and I navigated no better but to people watch absolutely entertains me). I did take some Bonine that day and the next, but we had mostly smooth seas post that one nights experience.

Linda

Archived