Trip Insurance ?

betsyrossapk

I just got finished reading MASQ's Incredible Adventure ( what a great story!) & I decided to check on what to do if my flight got cancelled due to weather. I am flying out of Cleveland in November. My trip insurance has a $1,000 limit due to trip delay. It says you have to attempt to meet your 1st port of call, so I checked a 1 way flight from Cleve to Cozumel & it was $900 plus I would need to stay in a hotel for 2 nites waiting for the ship to come in. Am I reading this correctly, or in case of a flight delay, would the airline cover anything? Just wondering.

Inspiration: 11/4/04

You can fly from CLE to FLL for $160 (SWA) and then from MIA to Cozumel for $341 (Mexicana). That leaves you $499 for cabs, hotels and foods. I think that ought to cover it.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Did you book with a TA? I used to "go it alone" and try to save a few dollars...I found a great TA, more than willing to work with me and get me great prices. I leave "the problems" up to her.

But you'll have great weather and won't have to worry about this anyhow. Life's too short to worry about the weather 6 months from now icon_smile.gif

4/17 Triumph

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

betsyrossapk,

If your flight is cancelled, they will put you on another flight, they won't just leave you stranded. In a worst case you may have to fly the next day, they have to get you to Miami somehow. From there you can get a flight to Cozumel for much less than from Cleveland, and your insurance should cover it.

If you are flying from Cleveland, it's a good idea to leave a day early, especially in the winter. If your flight is delayed, then you still have plenty of time. If it is not delayed, well there's nothing wrong with spending an extra night in Miami. You will be relaxed, and the first on the ship.

dosi,

Are you saying that fare is available on Mexicana for last minute walk up customers? The fares are usually much higher without a 7 day advance purchase. But I would think well within the limits of $1000 insurance.

Splendour of the Seas, 11/17/00

Summit, 10/28/02

Mercury, 5/05/04

Hey, thanks for the info. I know it seems obsessive, but did you read that story? Makes you wonder if you will be the "unlucky" one that something like this could happen to. I guess that forewarned will be for-armed & of course I will just "plan" that everything will go smoothly.

We have a non-stop flite from Cleve to Tampa arriving at NOON on departure day. My flite & cruise are thru Continental Airlines, so I believe we would have to use Continental all the way. We can't leave earlier due to child care problems. It would be great if we could leave a day early, but I will follow this board's other advice & just "relax" about it. Was basically just curious how something like that might be handled. Thanks for all the ideas icon_cool.gif

betsyrossapk - in the case that you're using, if Contential cancelled the flight or it was delayed they would work with you to get you to the port on time --- either on their planes or some other airline. If they got you to Tampa but you missed the embarkation then you would be able to use almost any airline to get to the first port using the insurance portion of your travel insurance -- it would not need to be Continental. Good Luck and chances are you won't need to worry about it at all icon_smile.gif

The cheapest trip insurance I have found is to fly in to Miami or FLL the night before!! Cost you an extra nights motel room ($100 bucks). I've never misses a cruise yet and am always refreshed the next day for the long ordeal of embarkation. No rushing around either!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400 Until the FUN begins!!!!

Lou33 I used tomorrows date for the Mexicana flight although I picked some random date in July for the SWA flight. So the Mexicana price is correct (although it is actually AA connecting with Mexicana in Mexico City) but the SWA price would probably be higher. Thank you for calling this error to my attention.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Archived