Airlines annd weight limits??????

jezzdogg

We are flying American Airlines to Paris and Air France from Paris to Barcelona. I know for international flights on AA the weight limits are 70 lbs, but for AF it is 50 lbs, s ince we will be checking our luggage in with AA at JFK and ot seeing our luggage until Barcelon, will AF charge us if we are over the 50 lb limit they have. We will be away for 20- days and trying to figure out how much luggage I will need, with my gowns, dresser clothes, sightseeing day clothes and casual things.

norm

It is my understanding that all air lines have gone to the 50lbs weight limit. Also nothing over 63 inches is aloud either. the 63 inches is hight X width X length, I had to buy all new luggage just for this cruise, what a bummer. I hope this helps you.

Found this at:

http://www.aa.com/content/customerService/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml

Baggage checked to/through/from Europe and Asia

Effective June 1, 2004, the maximum weight for all bags checked to/through/from any destination in Europe or Asia will be 70lbs/32kgs. American will no longer accept overweight baggage (70-100 lbs.) in these international markets. This policy is in conjunction with the British Airport Authority mandate prohibiting checked baggage into the United Kingdom that weighs over 70lbs/32kgs.

This policy will be effective for any passenger who commences travel on or after June 1, 2004, and only applies to passengers traveling on American to/through/from any destination in Europe or Asia. If you have baggage weighing over this new limit, please repack or redistribute the weight into other baggage.

I'm still trying to find out the "what happens if your 'source' flight allows more baggage than your 'change to' flight, too. icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;24;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until our Millenium Month (10/24 & 11/07)<BR

Constellation-Transatlantic-Eastbound-26/04/03;

Norwegian Star-Hawaii & Fanning Island-11/24/02;

Bolero-Transatlantic W to E-04/99;

Triton-Greek Isles & Turkey-07/97;

Triton-Transatlantic W to E-03/94;

Atlas-Transatlantic W to E-04/87;

Lord Selkirk II-Lake Winnipeg-06/75 (Honeymoon)

For the most part I think luggage leaving the US that is maybe a little overweight will get through. However, the same luggage, probably weighing more because of souveniers, may not be as lucky. Once I got into Gibralter just fine but they got me going out.

We're facing a similar dilemma this year but with a Caribbean cruise and the domestic weight limits. We have an 11 night planned and with one full bag being for scuba gear, we weren't quite sure how we were going to manage with the limits.

It finally dawned on us...budget and plan to do some laundry on board. We're also renting my husband a tux, which will give us tons of extra room. icon_wink.gif

Have a wonderful trip, and remember not to sweat the small stuff...you're on a cruise!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hilary

We ran into this last fall heading to New England. Our solution? The heaviest things are the books (some travel and some leisure) and the shoes. We bought a separate travel case for shoes and books. Works great! What if it's lost? Easy, we're the bored, shoeless duo!

Gale and George

Oregon

For domestic travel not all airlines have lowered their weight limit. AirTran and JetBlue allow three (3) checked bags, ea

weighing up to 70 lbs. If you can't pack

for a cruise with 210 allowed for ea passenger, you're in deep doodoo. (just kidding)

Remeber also that the weight limit is per bag. I think you are allowed two bags per person, but international may even be 3.

Ususally in Europe I don't have that many souveniers to pack - so much of the stuff can be bought at home at the same price or lower. We did buy a lot in a trip to China we just completed, but when it got to be too much we found a post office and mailed some items home. That cost about $100 but it was worth it to be light on our feet. (It might have been cheaper if we could have found a way to send it cargo but at the post office our only option was air,

Hilary

I don't know which airline you are flying but you might want to check its website under "baggage limits". Most of them allow scuba and sporting equipment as checked baggage -- in addition toyour regular luggage. icon_smile.gif

Terry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;24;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Hi Cal Cruiser

Which airlines gave you that bad news? icon_eek.gif I want to avoid them, especially since we are going to be gone for 33 days. After re-checking websites for AA and British Airways, I decided to telephone them. The reps I spoke to there are still advising 70 pounds per bag for international flights with a two bag limit of 63 total LxWxD inches for AA and 62 total inches for British airways. British Airways also indicated if your flight encompasses two different areas (i.e. International and Domestic or International and Europe) where different size/weight limitations are in effect, the larger allowances will apply for both legs of the flight. If the airlines are going to 'downsize limits' across the industry, I hope they wait until 2005. icon_smile.gif

Just back from Europe where they are even weighing carry-on bags. The limit is two carry-ons, each weighing no more than 6 kilos or about 13 pounds per. Both of our carry-ons were over the limit and the airline was insistent that we do a quick re-pack of our carry-ons at the check-in counter in order to check one of our carry-ons. There's not an awful lot you can pack when limited to 13 pounds. Americans traveling abroad are going to have to learn to travel light.

Just returned on United Air/ domestic, leaving Seattle. My luggage had grown due to things purchased on my trip. The United employee informed me that one of my bags was 52 pounds (2 # over the limit) but tagged it with a sticker reading "heavy bag" and let it go on with no extra fee.

We just returned from London on British Airways. The rules for the maximum weight of 32K or 70 lbs was strictly enforced. We watched one young traveler, repeatedly repack, reshuffle and reweigh her belongings for over 25 minutes. We finally got through the line and she was still trying to get under the weight limit. She did show up on our flight, so she must have finally trimmed her large bag down, redistributing the weight.

We were packed for a week in London and a two week cruise. Husband took 2 sport jackets and one tux, so we were not traveling light. But we were comfortably under the weight restrictions.

The laundry service is great on the Celebrity ships.

The weight limit is to protect the workers who have to lift those bags. Nobody weighed our carryon bags, but we did see the weight and size restrictions they could have enforced.

Just back from Europe. Going over on Air France (with layover in Paris) from Cincinnati to Paris. They allowed 2 checked bags, 70# for the first and 50# (or 55, I can't remember) for the second. On the way back, World Air didn't state a weight (but were frantic about carryons). We had to change planes in JFK (had to get our bags, then go to Delta), and Delta stated since we started in Venice, the international weight limit was still in effect.

Let me ask: If they allowed 70lbs on the international flight, did they charge you if you were over the Paris connection??? We are flying on AA from JFK to Paris and then AirFrance from there to Barcelona, but, we are checking our luggage thru at JFK and not seeing it until we reach Barcelona, will the international rate apply or will AirFrance present me with a charge, if I am over, At least one luggage for my 3 gowns, and informal clothes, dh tux's and sportjackets/ skirts, ties and that will take us to 50lbs. Now I another piece for causal clothes for both of us and shoes, etc. If it is a 50lb weight do not see us with less than 3 pieces and maybe a small fourth for any purchases I might make. We will be gone for 20 days

norm

Jezzdogg,

They probably allow two pieces per person and, unless they are different from the other airlines, each of those may be at least 50 pounds. The best way to answer your questions is to call the airline. I know that United's web site says to call United for international because the limit varies depending on destination.

In any case, 4 cases between the two of you shouldn't be a problem.

Some of the airlines even allow a 3rd checked bag and/or an increased weight for international but there seems to be a lot of variation.

Archived