Cozumel not receiving cruise ships?

misha1

Can anyone tell me if this is true? What I have heard is 3rd person, but, a cruise leaving the 2nd week of February (don't know which one) has informed their passengers that Cozumel was not going to be a stop for them due to problems on the island. I am on Zenith Feb. 2nd with Cozumel listed as a por-o-call and we have not been told of any issues with this stop. There is no way for me to check the information through the source either. (which would help alot.)

Can anyone tell me if this is true? What I have heard is 3rd person, but, a cruise leaving the 2nd week of February (don't know which one) has informed their passengers that Cozumel was not going to be a stop for them due to problems on the island. I am on Zenith Feb. 2nd with Cozumel listed as a por-o-call and we have not been told of any issues with this stop. There is no way for me to check the information through the source either. (which would help alot.)

Unless something has changed they have decreased the number of ships stopping at Cozumel because they have to tender instead of dock. We're sailing Triumph this Saturday & I think we're still scheduled for Cozumel. Other ships are going to different ports. Maybe this is what this person is referring to.

We were in Cozumel last week on the Zenith. The pier was pretty much destroyed by Hurricane Wilma, so ships cannot dock. The local government is sending ferry type boats to tender people ashore. The locals are doing a remarkable job getting their only industry (tourism) up and running.

Cozumel isn't able to accept as many ships as it did before Wilma, so some ships are being rerouted. But it is mostly Carnival ships that are being rerouted. If you weren't going to go there, Celebrity would've already told you. Now, there is a chance since Cozumel is now a tender port that you may miss it due to weather.

I was at Cozumel on Friday, 6 Jan, aboard Mariner of the Seas. There were four other ships anchored and tendering in on that day (another RCI ship, a Carnival ship, an NCL ship and another line I'd never heard of). Other posters are correct that the piers are badly wiped out, but the tenders were doing everything they could to keep folks moving. As it turned out, that was a real task that day since the water was pretty rough and the winds were steady. The tenders were rockin'-an-rollin' and the Captain of MOS stopped allowing passengers ashore about 3:20 'cuz the weather was deteriorating.

So...we use ferry boats and not the life boats from the ship? How big are they? Has anyone had issue with getting to shore on time for excursions? I have tendered before, and although it was not entirely pleasant, it was managable. The wait for a tender was the biggest issue. I am traveling with 22 people who will all want to get on at the same time I am sure, and, 15 of these are newbies. YIKES!

The wait for a tender was the biggest issue. I am traveling with 22 people who will all want to get on at the same time I am sure, and, 15 of these are newbies. YIKES!

Good luck.:D

The boats we tendered were supplied by the local government and were much larger and more stable than the ship's lifeboats. Not a problem at all, but the seas were calm. I don't think those boats would be a big problem if the seas were a bit rougher.

I was there on Jan. 7th. There was a Celebrity ship in port at the same time--not sure which one. The tenders are quite large--they hold about 300 passengers. Tendering was delayed for a couple of hours on our visit because of rough seas. Ships sometimes do have to skip a tendering port altogether because of weather problems.

Archived