Paris?

We did a Paris tour with Minibus tours when we were on RCL's Jewel in 2005. Their website is:

http://www.minibus-tours.com/index.html

We found 3 other couples to share the cost which ended up working out to about what we would have paid for the ship's tours but we avoided the big buses and got an extra hour in Paris.

The only negative on the tour was the driver was the guide which meant when he was driving he wasn't guiding. That meant long periods during the drive from Le Harve to Paris and then again when we came home where we had to make conversation among ourselves.

Positives included we were able to suggest what we wanted to see and approximately how long we wanted to spend at each place. The guide was waiting for us when we got off the ship and we got away before the big buses had pulled out and made better time than they did on the highway to Paris. The van also was better for the terrible traffic in Paris. The guide spoke good English and when he could did a good job of explaining what we were seeing although a couple of times we had to ask him to tell us what something was. He did not have any type of sound system in the van to amplify his voice so you had to listen closely to hear his commentary.

All in all everyone enjoyed the tour and we all gave the guide a tip.

Check out the web site for current prices. You can often find others interested in joining this type tour on cruise critic roll call for your cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

I know you didn't want to do a ship's tour but if you just want transportation your ship might offer an "on your own" excursion which is just bus transportation into Paris. I did this a few years ago. It's about a 3 hour drive into Paris. I believe we only had about 3 1/2 hours there, but it was enough time to walk up the Champs Elysee, go up the Arc de Triompe, walk down to see the Eifel Tower and then metro to Notre Dame. It's not a lot of time but we got to see Paris!

So that may be an option if you don't want to do trains.

thank you for your advice...

yes the train is faster...maybe...there are certain unpredictable factors that I have been made aware of..strikes...unscheduled stops..etc...

the best/least worrisome way to go is with the ships bus...using it to get there and to get back....

I want to do three things...see the tower...do some shopping...sit in a cafe eating a decadent pastry and watching Paris life go by...I think three hours will be enough to accomplish that....well of course I would like way more time for shopping but could still do some major damage in an hour....

I want to do three things...see the tower...do some shopping...sit in a cafe eating a decadent pastry and watching Paris life go by...I think three hours will be enough to accomplish that....well of course I would like way more time for shopping but could still do some major damage in an hour....

My favorite place for a decadent pastry in Paris is Laduree. (pronounced LA dor ray) They have every type of pastry but are most famous for their incredible macaroons, which are very different from american macaroons. You can also have a lovely lunch at Laduree and/or buy from their take-out counter. They have 3 locations in Paris, the original on rue Royale, one on the Champs and the newest on rue Bonaparte. For more info, see their website www.laduree.com

If you're near the Louvre, go to Angelina's on rue de Rivoli for the most incredible hot chocolate in the universe.

Let me know if you need some shopping tips. I know Paris well.

Jane

oh Jane, thank you for that tip about where to have a decadent tort or two...

yes please give me tips about shopping...

I am a bargain hunter...but will not have much time to hunt...my style is that of Banana Republic....love beautiful things at low prices...I am petite...love the latest trends...cant afford designers but knock offs for sure..maybe I should go to New York instead...lol....

if this is too boring for others to read, please write to me directly...

aqtwitch@hotmail.com

If you're looking for bargains, stay off of rue de Fauberg St Honore!

I like to shop in the 6th arrondisement and streets like rue de Four, rue de Buci, rue de Rennes and rue de Cherche Midi are great shopping streets. All are within walking distance of one another.

You'll be near rue Bonaparte, where one of the Laduree's is located too.

You'll be near Luxembourg Gardens so you might want to stop at see it. Buy a sandwich or a crepe from a street vendor and eat it in the park if the weather is nice.

Unlike the US, the french govt. regulates discounting and there are only 2 sales per year in France, in Jan and July, so if you're not there those months, you won't find any sales. However, there are some wonderful boutiques with inexpensive items. The above mentioned streets will have some.

I buy a brand of tee shirts which are famous in France called Petit Bateau (meaning little boat). They make mostly baby sizes, but go up to adult sizes too if you're not more than about a size 10. I'm a size 6 in american sizes and wear a 16ans (16 years) in Petite Bateau. There are about 6 Petite Bateau shops in Paris (one on rue de Rennes) and they are sold in the dept stores (like Galeries Lafayette) also. The basic tee's sell here in the US for about $30. and I get them in Paris for about $12 - $15.00. They are very basic, however, the colors are gorgeous and the quality of the cotton is great.

Furla handbags are a good buy in France and my bag that was $400. here cost me about $250. in Paris. They're on rue de Rennes.

There's a handbag company called Groom and they are the "in" bag that are not designer priced like Prada. Most under $200. They have a store on rue Bonaparte, near LaDuree. Oh, and there's a macaroon store on rue Bonaparte called Pierre Hermes that makes outrageous macaroons but they're take-out only. More unusual flavors than Laduree.

There is a chain of discount stores called MonoPrix and they are the "Target" of Paris. There are a few around town. They sell everything from food and wine, clothing, underwear and drugstore items. I like the one in the 6th, right off of Blvd St. Germaine. (look for the Cartier store and it's to the right of it, across the street). MonoPrix is a great place for discontinued styles of fashionable hosiery, tee's by Petite Bateau and other things. They carry make-up by Bourjois which is an inexpensive brand owned by Chanel. There is a soap that I buy here in NY for $8. a bar that I get in MonoPrix for $4. You can also buy some inexpensive bottles of champagne to bring back aboard with you.

Call me crazy but I buy my salt in Paris. The gourmet salt (fleur de sel, etc) costs about $15. here and I get it in MonoPrix for under $5. I also buy chocolate there.

The pharmacies in Paris are like a slice of heaven. I could spend hours in them. If you use any European hair products like the Phyto line or Rene Furterer, you'll find them for alot less there. I use a cosmetic brand called Darphin which is sold in stores like Sak's and Neimans here, but I buy in Paris pharmacies for alot less. Prescription medication is alot less there too.

If you go to see Notre Dame on the Il de la Cite, you'll walk across the bridge to the Il St. Louis (they are the two tiny islands in the river in the middle of Paris). On the main street of the Il St. Louis you'll see the world famous ice cream shop called Berthillion. You'll see the line. Well, right across the street from Berthillion is the most adorable little accessory shop. They sell very inexpensive handbags, scarves, costume jewelry, etc.

Stay out of the department stores like Galeries Lafayette or Printemps -you'll spend so much time in them, I'm afraid you'll miss your ride back to the ship!:eek:

Jane

Jane you are amazing...

thank you so much for all the ideas....

I have printed your message and will take it with me...when I return I will write here and let you know what I managed to do in the 3 and a half hours I will be in Paris....3 hours to get there and 3 to make it back....

yes I could see how one might miss the bus....

Amanda,

You're most welcome. Three hours in Paris is like torture! You're not going to want to leave. LOL!!! ( I never want to leave Paris. I'm hoping to get there for a quick visit next month and them probably again in the Spring w/ my Mom)

Can't wait to read your report when you return. Have a great trip!

Like2Cruise,

Paris Disneyland? Not a prayer I'd ever go there!

You've only got 2 days in Paris, why would you want to leave? You'll barely scratch the surface. If you had a week I'd say to take one day out to visit Versailles and one day to visit Monet's home in Giverny.

In July it will be light til 10:00PM which is just glorious. If you tell me which arrondisement you'll be in I perhaps can recommend some restaurants. If you don't know which arrondisement your hotel is in, look at the zip code and the last two numbers and that will tell you. i.e - 01 is the first, 08 is the 8th, 16 is the 16th, etc.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for all you input...we have not booked our hotel yet. I am searching for a hotel that will accomodate 3 for a reasonable amount without much luck so far. If you have any suggestions for area, hotel etc. I am all ears!!!! My 20 year old daughter is so excited that you said there were sales in July. Are there certain days in July? We are there the 10, 11 and some on the 12 (taking the chunnel to London on this day).

like2cruise,

The arrondisements I would suggest to stay in for a few days are the 6th, which is called the St. Germain de Pres area, or the Left Bank/Rive Gauche area. Also the Marais is a very nice area to stay in and is in parts of the 3rd and the 4th. There are many tourist hotels in the 1st and the 8th, but I tend to stay away from them because they're more crowded area's. The 16th is a chic area but it's really more residential so I don't recommend it for vistiors. The 5th is filled with students, hence the name Latin Quarter - your daughter would like it, but you probably wouldn't.

Some hotels in the 6th that will meet your needs for 3 people are Du Danube on rue Jacob,(they have a family room that is an extra room attached to the main room. My friends stayed there with their teenage daughter and loved it) Hotel Deux Continents also on rue Jacob has triple rooms. Rue Jacob is one of my favorite streets in Paris. Also Hotel de Fleurie on rue Gergoire de Tours has family rooms. Hotel Prince du Conti (not Conde) has a family room with a sleeping loft. These hotels are easily found by doing a google search. I've stayed in all of these and like them. They're all 3 star hotels. In Paris, I have no need for the 5 star places, I prefer 3 star. Another option would be for you go get two small rooms instead of one large. There are some good 2 star hotels that might serve your puepose if you're on a tight budget. Hotel Bonaparte has a good reputation for a 2 star place. I've never stayed there, but have walked by it and the location is fantastic, right on rue Bonaparte.

Best Western has bought many of the little charming hotels in Paris, so a search on their site might give you some good options.

Remember that hotel rooms in Paris can be quite tiny so ask questions. All hotels know how many sq. meters their rooms are. For two, I wouldn't stay in less than 15 sq. meters, for 3 you'll need more space.

Here are web addresses for a few of them, though I don't guarantee

they're still correct. A google search will get you all of them as well as others. Probably all on www.tripadvisor.com

www.2continents-hotel.com

www.hoteldanube.net

www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr

Hope this helps,

Jane

Jane you are amazing...

thank you so much for all the ideas....

I have printed your message and will take it with me...when I return I will write here and let you know what I managed to do in the 3 and a half hours I will be in Paris....3 hours to get there and 3 to make it back....

yes I could see how one might miss the bus....

One correction, so you don't hate me.....

Many of the shops I told you about on rue de Rennes are on rue de Sevres. I always get those two streets mixed up as they are almost parallel to each other. Not quite, but you can see what I mean when you look at a map.

Jane

Hi Jane...again :)

If you don't mind...another question. In your past experience with Paris hotels have you found it better to book in advance (we are going July 10) or closer to the date to get the best rates. What would you expect to pay on an average for a night? Thanks so much!

Hi Jane...again :)

If you don't mind...another question. In your past experience with Paris hotels have you found it better to book in advance (we are going July 10) or closer to the date to get the best rates. What would you expect to pay on an average for a night? Thanks so much!

Not even a second thought.....Book in advance!

If you're planning on staying at one of the small and charming hotels in Paris, you should know that they do not lower prices. The price is the price and they usually have a high season and a low season price and that's it. At best, if things are slow, you may find one of them on a discount hotel website, where you'll save only a few dollars and perhaps get a free breakfast, but you'll also have to pre-pay and have an inflexible cancellation policy. For those reasons, I never use those sites. I like to have flexibility.

Also, July (that's when you're going, right?) is a popular tourist season so hotel rooms can be hard to come by, so the chances of rates going down closer to date isn't likely. Mid July is Bastille Day and people from all over France will come to Paris to celebrate. Also, they will come for the sales.

You can always hedge your bet by booking in a small charming hotel and then checking with the chains (like InterContinental, Accor, Best Western) closer to date and if you get a great deal, cancel the first one. However, as I said, it's not likely to happen. There are some inexpensive European chains, like Tulip, which can have some great deals on Paris hotels. I personally don't like them because, for me, I like the charm of a typical Parisian hotel (Tulip's rooms are motel-like) and I want a great location. Of course, this is personal and many people stay in the chains and are perfectly happy. But for me, a pretty room in a convenient location where the front desk person knows my name after an hour, is an enhancement of my experience.

Ad for typical prices, look on the hotel's website under "rates" and you'll get typical rates. If these are high, go to some websites and look for 2 star hotels. Ask about air-conditioning. I would guess that all 3 star hotel's have a/c, but not all 2 star hotels. If you hit a hot spell, you don't want to be without it!

Jane

Like2cruise,

One more thing......

I just noticed that I lumped Accor into the chain hotels like InterContinental, etc. This is not the case. Accor is a European chain and many of the small, charming hotels in Paris are part of Accor. So do include them in your search.

Jane

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your good advice. We are in Paris for three nights September 14-17. We are coming in from a late train (2300) from Italy and will be traveling with the bags from our cruise. We have been looking at hotels in the 12 arrondisement, walking distance from the Gare de Lyon. We need to leave for CDG airport on Sunday morning and there is a Air France stop near the train station. Do you think this is a good plan? If so, do you have any recommendations for hotels in this area. We have been looking at some 3 star hotels that seem reasonable near the station.

What do you think. Thank you for the time you have spent to help to help us. We are so excited for our two days in Paris.

Mary,

I honestly don't know that area very well at all. I emailed my friend in Paris and posed the question. As soon as I get a reply, I"ll let you know.

That said, if you're willing to take a short taxi ride, an area that would be a short cab ride is the Marais in the 4th arrondisement. That's closest to the 12th and is really a lovely and lively area with lots of pretty streets, charming restauarants and plenty of outdoor cafe's. I realize that when you're in Paris you'll be going all over the city, but sometimes it's nice to have a nightcap or a pre-dinner drink at a cafe right near your hotel.

I do know that the 12th is more residential and parts of it were considered seedy and have gone through some renovations. But I'll let you know what I hear from the Parisian natives.

Jane

Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for your help. We really appreciate you! I am looking at the areas you suggested. I am sure they will be nicer, we are just trying to reduce the amount of hauling luggage around. I learned my lesson in Venice two years ago when we packed two weeks of cruise luggage on the vapporetto to the Lido, and then back to the cruise ship. I do pack a bit lighter now, but a cruise does call for lots of clothes:) !

Hope you are very well.

Mary

Mary,

I just got off the phone w/ my friends in Paris who say they don't think it's good stay near the Gare de Lyon station. The area is seedy and think it's not a good area to walk around at night. Since Paris is such a walking city and otherwise, quite low in street crime, it's best to stay away from an area that attracts it's worst citizens.

She says that the area aound the Bastille, in the 12th is good. She agreed with my suggestion that you stay in the Marais. You'll have to take a taxi from either the Marais or the Bastille to get to the train station, and the Marais will be a few Euro's and a few minutes more. However, for the time you'll be there, you'll really enjoy the Marais area.

I love the Marais and it's my second favorite area to stay in (after the 6th).

So depending on what you find in hotels that suits your style and your budget, the recommendation is for the Marais in the 4th or the Bastille in the 12th.

Jane

Archived