Eastern vs Western carribean

sanken

Depends on what you are looking for. I prefer Eastern Caribbean. I think the islands are more beautiful and the shopping is better. But that wouldn't stop me from booking a Western Caribbean cruise.

My favorite is eastern but I'm always hard pressed to explain why. I think it's because it's so different from my world. Looking at the route on a globe, it's farther away. I think it's more exotic than a trip to Mexico, although I like Grand Cayman, which is on a lot of the western Caribbean routes.

Hard to say unless we know more about the people cruising.

I love Western, but for a first cruise I say Eastern.

The ports do not appear as "poor" as the Western to a first time cruiser.

St. Thomas has pretty good shopping as does St. Marteen. The beaches are great on both islands. If you stop in San Juan or Nassau, don't get your hopes up to high. I love Nassau but it took a couple of stops there before I really liked it. I am still not a big fan of San Juan.

Cozumel remains my favorite island so far. I just love how small the island is and how easy it is to rent a jeep and just take off for the day.

Bobbie

Definitely eastern if it is your first cruise. Cozumel is a mess no matter that they are stopping there again. Grand Caymans is always a tender port and if windy you take a chance of not getting off the day you are there. So you should really do the eastern first. Also St. Thomas is a great ending port for shopping (but the immigration first thing in the morning you are there is the pits). So if you can pick an itinerary where St. Thomas is not last before you return to the US that would be better.

However, my most favorite route is the Southern Caribbean. This gets you further south where you go to St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Aruba, etc.

But any Caribbean cruise is a nice one, especially if it is your first!

Pooh

I think it depends on a number of factors.

What do you want or like to do?

Is location/price a factor?

Is ship type a factor?

I love to snorkel so I am very happy with Cozumel. The reefs are fabulous and there is little impact on the sea vs the shore from the storm. I've made some great friends there and would happily return but avoid all the touristy stuff in town.

We're in Texas so for us it's more economical to do Western than Eastern.

I've found the happiest cruisers are the ones who most closely match their interests, wants, needs, and budget to the cruise of their choice.

However, I think the best way to find out which is best is to try both! Then you'll know!

Like everyone else has said so far, really it is a personal preference but if I were to go back and have my first cruise I'd still pick the Eastern Caribbean over the Western. The Eastern is much cleaner and not as "pushy" as the Western side. I'm not saying I didn't have a nice time when we went to the Western side but I just enjoy the Eastern much better. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are wonderful and Nassau and San Juan are okay. I'm not a huge fan of either to be honest with you. On the Western side the only port that I really loved was Grand Cayman, it is beautiful there. Belize, Cozumel and Roatan left a lot to be desired and this was before the hurricane hit Cozumel.

My absolute favorite route is definately Southern Caribbean, everything in the Southern Caribbean was beautiful, even Dominica which is a fairly new port stop.

Hope this helps you in your search.

We are going to try the Western route for the first time. I am already familiar with Jamaica and Cozumel having been there on land based vacations...looking forward to the Caymans. Due to hurricanes the Western route is tender intensive and a first timer might not care for that. Personally I think the Eastern route is more suited for a first timer.

I was just happy to be going on my first cruise! I wouldn't have cared if it went out in the ocean and circled around! LOL! It's all great, all different and what you're going to like will depend on the individual. I just wouldn't delay! I sailed last month and have to wait till next fall to go again and look where I am starting my day... on the cruise critic board!! Does that tell you something?! We love it, no matter where we go.

We did Eastern on our first cruise and it was like stepping into Pardise. We were in awe of how absolutely beautiful the Caribbean waters were. We loved St. Thomas/St. John (we went to Trunk Bay)...we said "wow, it can't get any better than this" then we got to St. Maarten. WOW doesn't even begin to describe it. The water is pristine, and crystal clear. Absolutely stunning! There are no adjectives really to describe the experience. LOVED St. Maarten and the port itself was nice and clean and had a fun atmosphere.

Bobbie - I'm booked on a Grand Princess cruise that sails 3/18. My last 3 cruises have been out of San Juan (1 Destiny, 2 - RC AOS). I notice that you've been on both the RC AOS and the Grand Princess. Are they comparable? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gene

My2 cents: On a Caribbean Cruise, it doesn't really matter what Island you stop in for a few hours, except Nassau which is really a Sea Day and the Virgin Islands which are perfection. Pick the cruiseline you would enjoy the most find a ship that fits your needs and a cabin that fits your budget. On piece of paradise looks almost like another.

I think the seas are a bit calmer on the western side, the scenery a bit nicer on the eastern.

As for shopping. unless you are buying something indigenious to an island, you can find every single watch, purse, towell and scarf on the internet for as good a bargin as you can find on an island or duty free shop.

If you want jewlery, take a quick trip to New York for the best prices. though there are some pretty good ones on St. Thomas. I found St.Maartin over played, and generic. There was a beautiful little jewlery store on St. John at Mangoose Junction, between Caneel and the main town.

What do you like to do? Been to eastern once ST. Thomas ,was nice but mostly shopping there did not do much exploring.San Jaun, just another big city,Coco Cay ,don't even know if they still go there,and Labadee beautiful beach had a nice day.Done the western 3 times cozumel ,a lot of shopping fun if you like to party(we do, at Carlos N' Charlies)Costa maya, nice beach day,also Belize if you book an excursion.Mexico and Belize have excellant Mayan ruins tours ,although we have nver done them friends we went with did and loved it.Jamaica,I did a mountain bike tour and had a great time.Myself though it all starts and ends with the Cruise ship itself ,the service and relaxing atmosphere aboard ship to me is what matters most ,the ports are pretty much an extra,East, West either one you will have a great time we are going back to the eastern this spring just for a change of pace.Don't worry I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

If you are planning for something soon I would definitely go East. or South

Conzumel is not too great now...Needs more time for rebuilding the aftermath of the hurricane. Costa Maya is kind of boring.. Its not at all great like some write..

Grand Cayman is good. Jamaica sounds good, never been there.

Ive seen an itinerary that covers Conzumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica

instead of Costa Maya.

Bobbie - I'm booked on a Grand Princess cruise that sails 3/18. My last 3 cruises have been out of San Juan (1 Destiny, 2 - RC AOS). I notice that you've been on both the RC AOS and the Grand Princess. Are they comparable? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gene

Gene,

IMO....the Grand doesn't really compare to the AOS. Maybe the Enchantment or Grandeur, but not the AOS. The ship just isn't as big :(

The service was great on Princess, the food was about the same. As far as food goes....Some things they do better than RCCL some things RCCL does better.

The buffet is open 24 hrs. For us that's a MAJOR plus. We are night owls who love to party on vacation.

The pools are not salt water on Princess which we think is great also.

We loved anytime dining. It made for a very relaxed cruise. You just ate when you were hungry, no need to let your waiter or tablemates know you would be skipping the dining room if you didn't feel like going.

We really enjoyed MUTS(movies under the stars). They had just installed it when we sailed. It was fun and exciting to see it running for the first time ever.

Princess as a cruise line was great, but the ship is not the AOS.

I am sure you will have a great cruise. I would sail that ship again in a heartbeat.

We like both lines equally. I can't wait to sail the Caribbean Princess someday.

Bobbie

I agree with the Southern being my favorite, followed personally by the Western. But it depends what you want. Shopping is better on Eastern and I think water sports, snorkeling etc, is much better on the Western. Enjoy whatever cruise you pick.

Bobbie - thanks for your input. I'm looking forward to checking out the Grand Princess.

With regard to the East vs. West question, living in the DFW area, I take the 2 hour flight to Cozumel 3 or 4 times a year to go scuba diving. If you're gonna go diving, it doesn't get too much better - anywhere in the world - than Cozumel or the Caymans. If you're not gonna dive, then the Southern Caribbean would get my vote. St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Lucia are drop dead beautiful. St. Maarten has the clearest water, and my all-time favorite excursion (the America's Cup Sailing Regatta).

Gene

With regard to the East vs. West question, living in the DFW area, I take the 2 hour flight to Cozumel 3 or 4 times a year to go scuba diving. If you're gonna go diving, it doesn't get too much better - anywhere in the world - than Cozumel or the Caymans. If you're not gonna dive, then the Southern Caribbean would get my vote. St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Lucia are drop dead beautiful. St. Maarten has the clearest water, and my all-time favorite excursion (the America's Cup Sailing Regatta).

Gene

I agree with Gene. LOVE the diving, especially in Cozumel.

It's also why we cruise Rhapsody. No, not as grand as the larger ships out of FL but a heck of a bargain, no air for us and you get diving in the caymans as well as Cozumel, which is my favorite part. But like we have all said, it depends on what you're looking for!!

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. Yes, you will have favorites like we all do and some won't be your favs - I personally don't care much for Belize or Jamaica but that discussions been beaten to a pulp on this board - and then some!

Half the fun is the ship, the way you're treated and spoiled and the other half is the ports, if you're a port person!

I've got clients who are boat people and clients that are port people. The boat people don't care where they go because the ship and it's amenities are why they're there. The port people see the ship as a means to an end...getting them to port!

Luckily I enjoy both. :)

I would personally sail eastern over western any day. The islands honestly seem a little cleaner and more friendly to me. I also hate having to tender into ports and the majority of the 7-day westerns stop at, at least 1 tendering port, if not 2. The majority of the 7-day easterns stop at no tendering ports at all. Just MHO.....Hope you have a great cruise no matter what you choose! :D

Archived