Cruise Upgrades - How do they decide who?

Sometimes I think they use a "magic 8-ball". While the earlier you booked/number of Carnival cruises you've been on/how much you initially paid are supposed to be "factored in" [but often don't], I'm sticking with my "magic 8-ball" theory.

Makes as much sense as anything else.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;31;14;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

10/31 Conquest--add to thread in Roll Call forum

Click on the link below to take you to an excellent article which was published in Cruise News Daily about two years ago. Although things may have changed since then, it should give you a good idea how Carnival decides who gets upgrades.

Cruise News Daily

Nieuw Amsterdam 12/97

Destiny 9/99

Inspiration 10/00

Destiny 12/01

Legend (Transatlantic) 9/02

Pride Transcanal 9/03

Conquest 01/04

I just asked my PVP yesterday for a friend.

It goes in this order:

Price you paid (highest goes to upgrade first);

Date of Booking (earliest goes to upgrade first);

Number of cruises on CCL (obviously, the more, the merrier!)

SO:

2 people pay $1000 each for a cabin

1 books 2/1, one books 3/1

The guy who booked earlier wins! If they booked on the same day and paid the most for the category, then the one with the most cruises wins.

If THAT is a tie, the Magic 8 Ball is toyed with by the Upgrade Fairy to make the decision.

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

Thanks for the link to the article, very insightful! I guess it's just today's society but people to expect something for nothing. If I want a balcony, I book a balcony, why set yourself up for dis-apointment.

Victory 5/9/04 cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Monarch of the Seas 1996

NCL Wind 2000

Celebrity Galaxy 2002

SS Norway 2003

HAL Zuiderdam 2003

Carnival Victory 05/09/2004

Queen Mary 2 10/2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSeaman:

Thanks for the link to the article, very insightful! I guess it's just today's society but people to expect something for nothing. If I want a balcony, I book a balcony, why set yourself up for dis-apointment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hhhmmmm..... very interesting. I booked a balcony guarantee because I wanted a balcony, and I paid about $300 less than I would have in an assigned cabin. It's not that I wanted something for nothing, I just didn't want to pay extra for the "luxury" of hand picking a cabin.

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

Carnival Pride Cruise

18 April 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

tower_640x480.jpg

This camera is frequently aimed at the Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach. The white dome is Carnival's terminal. The Pride is there on Sunday, and the Ecstasy on Monday and Friday.

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

Mohavemommy,

maybe you didn't understand what I was saying or I didn't say it clearly. I totally agree with you, my upcoming Victory cruise I have a Suite GTY, paid less money for the garuantee. I constantly read on these boards how someone booked the lowest cat and constantly ask what their chances are to be upgraded to a balcony stateroom. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just a true believer of "you get what you pay for".

Victory 5/9/04 cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Monarch of the Seas 1996

NCL Wind 2000

Celebrity Galaxy 2002

SS Norway 2003

HAL Zuiderdam 2003

Carnival Victory 05/09/2004

Queen Mary 2 10/2004

First Rule of Guarantees: Book the minimumn category cabin that you would be happy with to avoid disappointment later. If you want a balcony, book a balcony guarantee, end of discussion. Don't book a 1A and then come back here later whining that you didn't get upgraded to a balcony. Two words: Unreasonable Expectations.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSeaman:

Mohavemommy,

maybe you didn't understand what I was saying or I didn't say it clearly. I totally agree with you, my upcoming Victory cruise I have a Suite GTY, paid less money for the garuantee. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that. If you can't be absolutely satisfied with any cabin in your guarantee range, then book a specific cabin. That way you aren't disappointed. Never should anyone book a 1A in the hopes of getting upgraded since it may not happen. Happy sailin!

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

Carnival Pride Cruise

18 April 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

tower_640x480.jpg

This camera is frequently aimed at the Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach. The white dome is Carnival's terminal. The Pride is there on Sunday, and the Ecstasy on Monday and Friday.

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I booked a balcony guarantee because I wanted a balcony, and I paid about $300 less than I would have in an assigned cabin. It's not that I wanted something for nothing, I just didn't want to pay extra for the "luxury" of hand picking a cabin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agree with this assessment. I just don't feel it's worth it to hand-pick my cabin, unless I'm a seasoned cruiser who truly knows the cabins on the ship, and I'm not willing to play room roulette!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eerbeek:

Price you paid (highest goes to upgrade first);

Date of Booking (earliest goes to upgrade first);

Number of cruises on CCL (obviously, the more, the merrier!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a bit surprised at the last one, myself. Obviously, you want to reward long time customers, but that overlooks the fact that a first timer may need some incentive to become a loyal customer.

For example, we're sailing Saturday on Celebration, first timers. We've booked a guaranteed room, and are hoping we're one of the lucky ones that get a bit of an upgrade. Nothing huge, we'd just like a 4A instead of a 1A.

Say we don't get an upgrade, because we're first timers. So next year, we're planning another cruise vacation. I'd say I'd be far more likely to try another cruise line to see what they were like.

And if the competition upgrades me, and Carnival didn't? It might be a long time before I tried Carnival again.

--

Carnival Celebration - Apr. 10, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I think my situation blows all of these theories. We booked only 1 month in advance of our 3/20/04 cruise and we booked through Cruisequick.com which was the lowest price I found. We booked a specific balcony cabin number because we wanted mid-ship.(Category 8A-not a balcony guarantee.) Neither of us had cruised with Carnival before. And we were surprised to find when we checked in at embarcation that we had been upgraded to a balcony suite. What a nice surprise! So I am baffled as to their criteria for choosing who gets upgrades. I think they just throw all the room numbers in a hat and pick from that. :-)

Pam

I used to work the front desk at a five-star hotel here in Michigan (on the west side of the state), and I know for a fact that since I had the authority to upgrade people who we felt truly deserved it, or we had sold out in their reservation category (one king bed, two queens, etc), we could do it.

Personally, the only criteria I used was how pleasant you were at check-in. I also took into consideration how many previous times you'd stayed with us, but at that moment, it was all about how you presented yourself.

I have to believe this might have something to do with it....any validity, or can Carnival not upgrade right then and there at embarkation? I know they say they can't, but I wonder if they really can if they want to.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sigh, I'm one of those people booked in a category 1A, and always do. I'm a single traveller so low rate is necessary given the cost of your own cabin.

Currently booked on Victory in a 1A Guarantee. Given my past experience with 1A guarantees and this being my 6th Carnival cruise, I really would be disappointed if I get one of small inside 1A's on Victory (Victory has some huge 1A's with portholes and a few with picture windows, but those always get booked up early) It's over $200 more for a Cat 4 guarrantee which is definitely not worth it to me.

If I get an inside with bunks I'll grin and bear it, but for now here's hoping for 2 lower beds.

Rob

Regal Empress 7/97, Nordic Empress 10/97, Sensation 11/98, Paradise 11/99, Ecstasy 11/00, Norway 5/01, Triumph 11/01, Explorer of the Seas 9/02, Paradise 5/03, Victory 4/04

Agree that you should only purchase a guarantee that you are happy with, we always purchase a guarantee we are happy with if the price is less, really dont car where on the ship we are, Thanks Paladin for the information on upgrades from Carnival, couldnt help but notice column on side of article about Princess upgrades on Feb. 25th, do you know how we can find that article, just wondering thanks

How the upgrade process works is; First they go down the list of pax looking for my name. When they find it they scratch it out,

rip it from the list,

scrunch it up and throw it in the trash,

then they burn it and scatter the ashes.

Then they proceed with the normal upgrade process.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS??? icon_mad.gif

NOW am I paranoid enough? icon_biggrin.gif

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

We were upgraded to a Cat 11 on our last sailing in December on the Legend. I thought the TA was joking when they called and told us this on the phone so I called back and spoke to someone. They said it wasn't a joke. We were originally booked in an 8E category. We also had two more cruises booked with Carnival in the future but don't use Carnival as our TA. I asked why did we get upgraded and the TA couldn't tell us other than it was my 55th birthday and maybe that was the reason. We just got our docs for our 5/9/04 cruise. We haven't received any phone calls but there are a number of Cat 11's still open on this ship. Here's hoping for another upgrade.

Darlene

Sensation 4/2001

Victory 12/2001

Spirit 12/10/2002

Zuiderdam 5/7/2003

Legend 12/7/2003

Pride 5/9/2004

Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas - 10/24/04

Celebrity Constellation - 4/9/05

I'm glad for all of you that get upgrades. I'm also jealous, but not angry or let it bother me that I don't. We are multiple cruise line pass members and have NEVER got an upgrade. We have done the guaranty and specific cabins...nothing. I have to agree, if you book something, make sure you will be happy with it.

Hopefully when we leave on 4/24 on the Jubilee they will make a liar out of me and upgrade us!

But I won't hold my breath.

Archived