Trying to avoid losing my $1750 deposit!

MarkandStacie

The chances of your deposit being transfered are NOT "slim to none". Call Celebrity. Be polite and you must get passed the initial person at the call center. Explain to them first and if they say no, ask is there anyone else you can talk to. Explain that you understand that that they are limited in what they can do. They may even transfer you to the second layer of customer service(the real customer service). Ask for a supervisor if necessary. Explain right up front that you are willing to accept a credit for a future cruise. The second layer customer service people have a great deal of latitude of what they can do and are very nice. Been there and done it. I got credit for a missed cruise with no insurance.

Now, as to insurance, it is unfortuniate that many people do not investigate the coverages of various policies, both medical and cancelation. IMO the worst one to buy is usaully from the cruise line.

Good luck.

P.S. Most posters here are very nice and realize they could easily get into a situation like you have. I doubt that all those who want the "rules" enforced without exception have never tried to break or bend a rule or two at some time or another. I wonder how many people like that have never asked for an exception to a rule at some time in their lives. How many are chair hogs?

A rez or customer service rep can say anything on the phone. You can even get a confirmation BUT, if the accounting department at the cruiseline doesn't issue the full refund or actually roll the funds from one cruise to another, you are up the creek.

I sympathize with the o.p. Sometimes things come up in life can throw a monkey wrench into the best laid out vacation plans. He obviously made it clear that he wanted to salvage his deposit by transfering it to a future cruise. I see nothing wrong with that approach, and he was just asking for advice from those people who perhaps have gone through the same situation. Furthermore, I do not blame him for becoming agitated when someone replies that they hope he loses it all. A small dose of understanding goes a long way on any message board.

Tony.

If I were in the OP's situation, I would certainly be trying to find a resolution to the problem that would not mean having to throw away almost $2,000. He came here asking for help and information. I fail to understand why so many times on these boards that people feel a need to chide or basically tell someone...too bad you got yourself into that situation...tough luck...or you got what you deserved. When I first found cruisecritic I loved all the helpful sharing of information, etc. Now it seems to be just a place where people take their hostilities out on unsuspecting persons just seeking some information. It's just not what it used to be!

I do mean to offend all those who are so quick to bash...

I have insurance. My reason does not fit into covered conditions. I don't want something for free. I do want to spend the money on a different cruise.

If that does not get through,

screw off.

I haven't been quick to bash....but here it goes. I buy a (apparently) better insurance policy than you...I would be covered. After 12 cruises I paid for a cruise, in insurance premiums, that I never took. So be it...look for sympathy elsewhere.

And if you think I'm a cheerleader for X...review my posts.

So be it...look for sympathy elsewhere.

And if you think I'm a cheerleader for X...review my posts.

To know I will get no sympathy from you.

I did get some resolution for my situation. Basically doing what many people here have suggested worked out for my family. We will be sailing Celebrity a month later and I'm sure I will find it a wonderful trip.

It's amazing that it is 74 here today and I'm haveing a tedious discussion like this.

ttfn

For the record - I love Danno and agree with too many of his opinions...

But... I really think all of us should examine the insurance that we take for our cruises. As for myself, the older my husband and I become, the higher the price of the vacation we take. It is important that people familiarize themselves with the insurance they purchase and are aware of the limitations. While I do not want someone to loose $1750, I do not want to subsidize irresponsible cancellations.

I must not have read the OP's message correctly...I didn't see where there was anything to agree or disagree with. There was a question asked. Some people did try to help him with advice. I don't understand the others that felt the need to criticize him or tell him that they hoped it didn't work out for him because after all.... the rules are the rules.

I guess it just bothers me to read more and more posts on these boards that are basically somewhat mean spirited. It used to be very informative and humorous to come here. I rarely post on other than roll call boards, but lately I've just seen so much of this that I felt I had to say something.

Of course, the best thing for me to do is just not read the ones that bother me...so I will follow my own advice:)

I must not have read the OP's message correctly...I didn't see where there was anything to agree or disagree with. There was a question asked. Some people did try to help him with advice. I don't understand the others that felt the need to criticize him or tell him that they hoped it didn't work out for him because after all.... the rules are the rules.

I guess it just bothers me to read more and more posts on these boards that are basically somewhat mean spirited. It used to be very informative and humorous to come here. I rarely post on other than roll call boards, but lately I've just seen so much of this that I felt I had to say something.

Of course, the best thing for me to do is just not read the ones that bother me...so I will follow my own advice:)

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!

I have a question regarding the insurance that many buy. I have a Visa Gold card, which offers free trip cancellation insurance as long as the card is used to pay for the trip. Why would it be necessary to also buy the travel insurance from an independant company? Has anyone gone this route and had to cancel? Have you had difficulties getting reimbursed?

I feel we are insured to death, by the way, and am not a big fan of insurance in general, but that's another story...

I did get some resolution for my situation. Basically doing what many people here have suggested worked out for my family. We will be sailing Celebrity a month later and I'm sure I will find it a wonderful trip.

I'm glad to hear that Celebrity was willing to work out a mutually agreeable arrangement. Enjoy your cruise!!

I have a question regarding the insurance that many buy. I have a Visa Gold card, which offers free trip cancellation insurance as long as the card is used to pay for the trip. Why would it be necessary to also buy the travel insurance from an independant company? Has anyone gone this route and had to cancel? Have you had difficulties getting reimbursed?

If all you need is trip cancellation then the credit card insurance would be fine. The other insurance covers trip delay, trip interruption, lost bags, medical & dental, medevac, repatriation of remains in case of death, airfare for relatives if you are hospitalized and the list goes on.

This is the protection offered by my Visa Gold card.

Travel Emergency Medical Insurance

(for customers < 65 )

Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance

(for customers < 65 )

Common Carrier Accident Insurance

Rental Car Collision/Damage Insurance

Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance

Lost Luggage insurance.

In addition, one way airfare home is included.

I would be interested to know if this is standard Gold level coverage for most cards. I pay $95 per year to have this, BTW.

As I am under 65, this serves my needs.

With regard to Mark and Stacie...

With a ,"******off" attitude and offensive language to the general public, I for one am grateful they are not on our cruise. With a "tude like that, I feel badly for anyone in Customer Relations at Celebrity, or any other line, for that matter.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

In the original post, it sounded as if the poster did not have insurance but expected to receive the same compensation as someone who did. That was why I made the comment that I did. If I knew they had insurance I would have responded differently.

In life we are constantly making decisions about whether or not it pays to have insurance, whether it is for travel, long term care, flood, etc, but whenever we decide it doesn't pay to buy a specific policy we should realize that decision may eventually cost us big time. For example, my husband and I decided not to buy long term care insurance, but we are also well aware of the risk involved and will obviously regret it if one of us winds up in a nursing home for a substantial period of time.

M & S, congratulations on the successful outcome. As always, calm and logic are usually far better tactics than emotion and outrage.

One reason I always use a live travel agent is for situations like this. We had a 3 couple Baltic cruise a few years back that I found I couldn't join, at least for the initial departure.

My TA was successful getting the cruise line to agree to allowing me to board two days after sailing although that is almost always not permitted.

She accomplished it through the sales rep with whom she deals who then went into the organization and successfully got the exception. I, alone, would likely have not been that successful.

This is the protection offered by my Visa Gold card.

Travel Emergency Medical Insurance

(for customers < 65 )

Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance

(for customers < 65 )

Common Carrier Accident Insurance

Rental Car Collision/Damage Insurance

Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance

Lost Luggage insurance.

In addition, one way airfare home is included.

I would be interested to know if this is standard Gold level coverage for most cards. I pay $95 per year to have this, BTW.

As I am under 65, this serves my needs.

Who is the issuer of your Gold Visa? Does it cover all foreign travel?

Thanks,

millcreekcruisers

I need to toss out one other comment/opinion because some white-out has been applied.

In re: Insurance. If you buy homeowners insurance, you work with your agent to insure you have adequate coverage. Likewise with car insurance, I would expect your agent to insure you are adequately protected in the event of an accident, and you decide what kind of deductible you can handle.

As others have mentioned, a TA should help you with this as it pertains to cruise insurance (mine does, land based, brick and mortar, travel agent).

Also, even though this has been mentioned, it's worth pointing out again. Initially , there was no mention that insurance was purchased, and the OP was leaning only on Celebrity to resolve the situation. It wasn't until later on that we learned that insurance was purchased, but, perhaps it was not adequate coverage.

It's issued by Bank of Nova Scotia, in Canada. Possibly, they offer more complete coverage than US issuers. I really don't know. I also carry a Blue Cross Travel plan, for $72. per year, which covers me for trips up to 17 days out of counrty for medical care. As I live along the US border, the fear of being hurt in a car accident stateside during a day trip, and the subsequent huge hospital costs possibly incurred stateside, seems like a VERY wise purchase.

I have never bought the add-on travel insurance when cruising, as I THINK I am covered enough by these other measures.

I guess only a cancelled trip will tell for sure!!

With regard to Mark and Stacie...

With a ,"******off" attitude and offensive language to the general public, I for one am grateful they are not on our cruise. With a "tude like that, I feel badly for anyone in Customer Relations at Celebrity, or any other line, for that matter.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

What purpose does this post, or the other "knife twisters' serve after M&S advised that everything was resolved:confused:

The OP was very polite in his first post ... I can understand his frustration with those who posted with "you deserve what you get" and "there are no exceptions to the rules" and "you don't deserve anything more than I do" attitudes.

Archived