What room set-up for family of 4?

newfamcruiser

I'm planning a cruise on the Dawn or Spirit with extended family in the early summer. I would appreciate any advice from some seasoned family cruisers! I'm totally confused with the info on suites vs staterooms and pricing for small children. I need a room for my husband, 4 year old, almost 2-yr old, and myself. (Will need space for crib & playtime) I'd love to spring for a suite, but not sure it's in the budget. Can we do 2 adjoining rooms easily, or is that still paying for 4 full fares?

Also, any advice to help decide between the 2 ships? We'll also be with my in-laws in their mid 60s, and my sisters-in-law (couple in their 30's). Thank you!!!

If you are going to have that much family with you see about doing the adjoining rooms thing and during the day I'm sure they won't mind opening the doors to make you all feel a little less claustrophobic. The minisuites sometimes are offered at a good rate so you could look for one of those but if you are looking to be on a budget do try to get adjoining rooms with the inlaws or something. I don't think you and the hubby should pay for 2 rooms though.

I'm planning a cruise on the Dawn or Spirit with extended family in the early summer. I would appreciate any advice from some seasoned family cruisers! I'm totally confused with the info on suites vs staterooms and pricing for small children. I need a room for my husband, 4 year old, almost 2-yr old, and myself. (Will need space for crib & playtime) I'd love to spring for a suite, but not sure it's in the budget. Can we do 2 adjoining rooms easily, or is that still paying for 4 full fares?

Also, any advice to help decide between the 2 ships? We'll also be with my in-laws in their mid 60s, and my sisters-in-law (couple in their 30's). Thank you!!!

get a price for the AB on the Dawn-it's 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with a nice big living room/dining room-the master bath is to die for

Someone was asking this same question of me, and I don't know the answer. (As far as putting 4 people in the same room.) I know in the rooms we've had in the past, there was always a bunk above one of the beds, and a trundle underneath another bed. But do the rooms ever come with bunks on both walls?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but will appreciate any info.

Thanks!:D

For the great suggestions. I'll check out the prices on the AB and mini-suites. I don't think adjoining rooms with the extended family will go over well. They're all very private people and I think we're all hoping for major distance between rooms!! ;) Thanks again!

The price for 2 seperate cabins will be extremely high since you will be paying full fare for both the first and second cruiser in the cabin, no discount because the second passenger is a child.

The price for an AB isn't really for the budget minded cruiser, although it is a beautiful cabin.

Personally with the ages of your children I would definitely want a balcony to enjoy while they are napping...so the adults can relax as well.

Since you will have an almost 2 year old who won't be able to go to the kids club you will need some extra space to burn off a little energy, so an AF mini seems like it would be the most economical, and best fit for your family. Try to locate one close to the kids club, since I'm sure you'll be back and forth there many times with the 4 year old.

Just my opinion...

:)

I think the balcony cabins on the Dawn only allow three in a room. I don't know if they will add a crib for a fourth passenger.

If not why not get an adjoining cabin with one of your relatives that has no children with them, and book the two year old with the crib in their cabin. I'm sure you could move the crib to your cabin as soon as you board. Technically NCL would still be maintaining three to a cabin in the balconies and you would still have the advantage of a balcony to use at nap time.

We just returned from the 12/29 Spirit where we had a regular Balcony cabin. we went with 2-3yr old boys. What we did was bring on 2 Jr. Aero Beds which fit perfectly (exact) beteen the couch and the wall lenghtwise and the bed and window the other way. We did have to put the desk and chairs out on the balcony but this was only at night before they went to bed. You could still sit out there if you wanted to

The Jr Aero Beds have raised sides to make rolling out difficult (but not impossible). Even if they did, its only a few inches above the ground. In the mornings, we just deflated them and tucked them under the bed. The room had enough space for the boys to watch videos comfortably and to play with thier toy trains, although we did not spend a lot of time in the room when not napping or sleeping.

Note that most balconies are only for 3 people,so we registered 1 boy with us in our room and the other boy to my InLaws room. No one cared that both boys slept in our cabin

We are a famiily of 4 ( 7 year old twin boys) booked on the Dawn 3/26. We originally booked an AF minisuite. I figured we could make do in a room that size as it had the pullout sofa for the boys. I booked the AF with the hope that we could upsell to an AB suite (twice the size.) The AB price was way too much for us. As it turned out we just got the upsell this week at a reasonable rate.

So perhaps you could book the AF and then let NCL know that you are VERY interested in an upsell to an AB. The worst case is you are in an AF mini suite, best case scenario you get the AB. Best of luck to you.

There's at least 8 cruising together.

Have everyone pitch in and book the Garden Villa on the Dawn.:)

Instead of everyone booking separately, go communal.

Both ships have a few larger inside cabins that easily sleeps four.

The Spirit has no mini-suites, so if you decide to go with a mini-suite, you'll have to cruise on the Dawn.

The cheaest alternative is to book interconnecting cabins with your in-laws.

Place the playpen in one cabin, and have both sons sleep on the same bed in the other. Keep the interconnecting door open during the day, and closed while sleeping at night for privacy. Built in baby sitters in the very next room.

We sailed the Dawn last June (DH, 2yoDD, 7yoDS) and we were in an AB Penthouse. It was perfect for us. The kids had their own bedroom and bathroom and so did we. And, there was plenty of space to play in. I took several pictures of the suite. It is DEFINITELY worth the money. Fortunately, we were given an upsell to the AB. Next time, we're booking it outright. Anyway, here are the pics:

http://community.webshots.com/user/richardsjlsg

Enjoy!

We have stayed in the mini-suite (NCL DAWN) with my 4 year old. Here's some ideas for you .. Turn the couch around and it becomes a semi-crib. Separate the beds one bed for you and your husband and the other for your child.

2) Turn the couch around semi-crib bed .. Roll in a Cruise Crib ..and you guys get the queen bed...

I would stick with the one room...

There is a "nice" Curtain separation on the Dawn that almost gives it a the feel of 2 rooms.... It was pitch dark on my sons side....He slept like a baby ...

We had 2 adults and 2 kids in a balcony cabin on the Sun and slept comfortably. The sofa pulled out which is flush along the queen size bed. On the one side of the kids bed a child couldn't roll out because it's flush to the queen size bed. There wasn't much room to move around the cabin at night. When we can back in the evenings the room would look like one giant long bed.

Someone asked about double pull down bunk beds, that is what we had on the Sky for our 2 boys to sleep in. They were over the lower bed which might bother some.

For the great suggestions. I'll check out the prices on the AB and mini-suites. I don't think adjoining rooms with the extended family will go over well. They're all very private people and I think we're all hoping for major distance between rooms!! ;) Thanks again!

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND - Thanks for the laugh ;)

Archived