Transportation to/from Port Canaveral

juniperjen

I have some questions. We have taken a cruise out of Port Canaveral before, but the circumstances were different. Before, we flew into Orlando the morning of the cruise and left from the Orlando airport the afternoon we returned. Then, it made sense for us to take the Mears Shuttle to the port and back to the airport.

I am currently planning our next cruise vacation (on the Fantasy). There will be two of us on the vacation (DH and I) We will be flying into Orlando on a Saturday evening. The cruise departs on Sunday and returns Thursday. When we get off the ship on Thursday, we will be spending three nights at the Royal Pacific Resort (on site at Universal Orlando). Since this vacation is different, I wanted to ask what our best option would be to get where we need to be.

*Should we arrange for a shuttle (any suggestions on companies?) to pick us up at the airport on Saturday evening and take us to a Port Canaveral hotel or should we get a hotel room close to the airport and take the shuttle to the port Sunday morning?

*Should we forget the shuttles and rent a car instead (neither of us have driven in Orlando) and drive to Port Canaveral ourselves on Saturday? What rental car company would be best?

*When we get off the ship on Thursday, what is the best way to get to our hotel? We could take the shuttle to the airport and then get a taxi to the hotel, but that seems so out of the way (and expensive).

*Is there any type of shuttle that goes directly from the port to Orlando hotels?

*If we rent a car to drive back to Orlando, how would we get from the port to the car rental location?

*How difficult would the drive be from the port to Universal Orlando?

I know that is a LOT of questions, but I was hoping someone would have some good advice! icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

Jennifer

03/01 - Imagination

07/03 - Glory

It may be a better deal renting a car and drive a simple 45min to 1 hour drive from the port to the airport. I would use the car just to get around when in Florida. We are renting a car from AVIS, the day before our cruise and use it to drive around to shop, eat and sightsee near the port. We are staying at the Radisson near the port and will return the car the next day before going to the ship. AVIS has a shuttle that drops you off and picks you up after your cruise. AVIS is also right at the airport. Good luck, and enjoy!!

Carnival Pride 8/17/02 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Glory 8/21/2004 (Eastern) 30th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500CQclass.gif

ORLANDO/ PORT CANAVERAL SERVICE:

from

http://www.orlandotransportation.net/

TRANSPORTATION

from

http://www.portcanaveral.info/transportation.htm

Port Canaveral limo Service & Airport Transportation Direct!

from

http://www.limolinkexchange.com/llx/port_canaveral_limo.html

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

Do I have to drive back to the airport to drop the car off? We are not flying home until 3 days later. I would like to get to our hotel (Royal Pacific at Universal) without going to the airport first. If that a possibility? Is there anywhere near Universal to drop off a rental car? We won't need a car once we get to the hotel. We plan to spend all our time at Universal/Islands of Adventure.

Thanks!

Jennifer

03/01 - Imagination

07/03 - Glory

• 3 months later...

I live and work near Port Canaveral. There are several transportation options. The most convenient option is taking a taxi. The Port Authority limits the taxi companies that are allowed to pick up in the port. They want to make sure the cabs are safe and comfortable so that visitors will want to come back. The Taxi Association of Brevard has a website that gives information on rates, etc. The website is http://www.brevardtaxis.com.

There are also several rental car companies in the area, if you think you will be doing a lot of driving. But do not rent the car while you are on the cruise. If you do, then you will be paying for the car rental, plus $10 to $20 per day to park at Port Canaveral during the cruise.

As far as taking a bus, I personally do not like buses :mad:. Also, they charge per person, which can become expensive for two or more people. The drive from the port to the Orlando resort area is almost an hour. I would hate to be that uncomfortable for that long of a trip. I think the best bet is either a rental car (if you plan on doing a lot of driving around) or a taxicab if you are just looking for a one-way ride.

BTW, I do know some of the cab drivers, so I am a bit partial to taking a cab over a rental car :D. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Bill

Archived