Advice on Snorkeling outfits in Maui, Kona, Kauai

tootall

Aloha and welcome to the boards. Truly, your best bet is to do an advanced search on this forum only for "maui snorkel" "kona snorkel" and "kauai snorkel" because this question comes up all the time. There are several current threads with lots of good information for you. With the search function, always choose "Advanced Search" up on the "Search this Forum" option; then use only a couple of search terms--too many makes it time out; also only search back 1 month to start, and go further as necessary; last, go over to the "Forums to Search" on the right hand side and select "Hawaii" even though it will already be highlighted (I have no idea why, but this makes a difference in how well the search works).

Hope you have a wonderful time.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, "best" is always subjective. Our "best" snorkels on Maui have been through Maui Dive Shop. It just depends on what's most important and what kind of experience you are looking for in a snorkel excursion. (I'm sure Trilogy is fine; I just have a different opinion.)

beachchick

Looking to book some snorkeling trips on Maui, Kona, Kauai. Suggestions? I will have a car, so getting to their outfit is not a problem. HELP

Some good Big Island outfits are Body Glove, Fairwinds, Red Sail Sports, and South Kohala Divers in Kawaihae.

There is good shore snorkeling at Puako in South Kohala, at Kealakekua Bay, although the entry there is a little tricky, at "two step" which is the beach park next to the Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Park (also known as the City of Refuge), and, although it is getting so overused, I hesitate to recommend it any more, at Kahalu'u Beach Park in Keahou. In the summer, and when it is calm in the winter, the area at the end of the entry road at the Natural Energy Labs (NELHA host park) is good, too. Too rough in winter sometimes, though. Anaehoomalu Beach Park at Waikoloa Beach Resort has good snorkeling at the lava fingers on either side of the crescent of beach. Mauna Lani Resort has a public access area at the end of their parking lot (go through the fence, follow the path along the grass - you can't use their beach gear, but you can use the beach) and there are always turtles there, because of the resorts participation in a turtle raising and release program.

Archived