How far is Mt. Pelee from ship?

Huey

Hello,

We're off next Monday on the Legend and want to visit Mt. Pelee when we are in Martinique. My son is studying volcanoes in school and he would like to see the ruins and volcano.

Could you tell me how far of a taxi ride that would be from the port? Also, if you went - how was the experience. Do you have any do's or don'ts to make it better?

Would you recommend a beach there if we have time after the volcano trip? Thanks for you help!

Laura

Carnival Fantasy - 04/90 - Honeymoon! * Imagination * Victory * Destiny * Triumph * Golden Princess 04/02 * RCCL Brilliance 04/03 * Carnival Legend 04/13/04

We were on the Legend in Jan and took the island tour that the ship offered. Mt Pelee is on the far end of the island from where the ship docks. Our tour stopped at a museumn in St Pierre that had all the info from the volcano. You might look into this option instead of taking a cab. The tour made several stops along the way.

I also took that "St. Pierre Island Tour" excursion. Outstanding view of Mt. Pelee from the lawn of the rum factory.

If you really want time at the museum, and want to get closer to the volcano, a cab would probably be better. there's a road that winds up the northwest coast of the island, the museum is in the little town along the way. We also passed a beach, but not a quite what you would expect. I think the nicer resorts are on the southern end of the island.

Brian

Destiny 10/26/03

Archived