air princess?

winny63

I was wondering about flying from detroit airport to fll

wil i have multiple changes or is it a direct flight what is the usual?

The usual is the cheapest flights they can find with lots of stops or layovers or plane changes. Best advice is always book your own air. and get there a day ahead.

Arwenmark is right on on this one... Cruise lines book your air about 30-45 days before the cruise and take the cheapest flights they can find, and yes, that frequently means very odd connections and odd times.

NEVER let the cruise line book your air, ALWAYS buy the cruise only, and book your own air! And NEVER take a cruise if you can't fly in at least one day before... NEVER NEVER NEVER fly in on the day of your cruise, it's just too risky!

hello,

The other respondents have given you excellent advice. You should make your own air arrangements and plan to arrive at your cruise port of departure the day before your cruise.

However, there is an exception to this. The exception would apply if you are first time cruisers and you and your spouse are not experienced travelers or have a disability that hinders movement. To ensure that you do arrive at the port in a timely manner you might want to purchase the cruise line's air sea package which includes transfers to and from the ship. It seems to me that the cruise critic respondents are primairly very experienced travelers as well as experienced cruisers (39 cruises on 12 cruise lines) and could if need be figure out how to get to the port even under adverse weather conditions or other problems. Many persons, however, do not have this expertise. And if the cruise line's air sea package is purchased it is the cruise line's responsibilty to see that you make the ship.

The air -sea packages are overpriced and frequently involve flights and times that are not the best. But for a first timer going places that they have no knowledge of, it might be feasible.

Take care,

Fred

Oh My Fredr,

I am in a wheelchair and I tried the let the cruiseline handle things route and it is a major disaster, if you have mobility problems etc. BY ALL MEANS book your own air and transport.

Also you are very wrong it is NOT the cruiselines responsibilty to see you make it to the ship if you buy air through them and they WILL leave without passengers if there is a substantial delay. This is one of the reason so many of us arrive the day before and stay over.

Fred, once again I agree with Arwenmark... If you're disabled it's even MORE important for you to NOT let the line book your flights and if you're a first time cruiser taking the horrible flights, being herded onto a bus, etc. could very well turn you off of cruising.

They will absolutely not hold the ship for you if your flights are late and you miss the ship. Yeah, they will fly you on to the next port and eventually get you there, but who wants to go through that hell and miss half your cruise? You will NOT get any type of refund! First timer or not, BOOK YOUR OWN AIR, AND FLY IN AT LEAST A DAY EARLY!!!

There are just too many problems with flying today to even consider a cruise if you can't fly in early. Flights are frequently late due to weather problems (winter AND summer), mechanical delays, air traffic control delays. Missed connections are a common problem, and even if you make it your luggage may not. Going on a cruise with only your carry-on is not a fun experience! Flying in early allows delayed baggage to catch up to you and gives you a buffer in case of flight delays. It also allows you to arrive at the port early, well rested, and get onboard before noon, have lunch and fully enjoy that first day that you HAVE paid for!

hello,

I respectfully disagree with both of you, because you are very experienced, sophisticated travelers and cruisers. I make my own air and transfer arrangements because my wife and I have traveled extensively in America and internationally, and this includes 14 cruises. There are folks out there who want to go on a cruise, and who cannot make their own arrangements even with the help of a travel agent. And I agree that the cruise lines overprice their air sea packages and yes, they require you to use flights that are far less than ideal. Generally though the cruise line will have someone at the airport to help you, put you and your luggage on the bus to the ship and so on. I say this because in rare situations the air sea package is probably best.

Hope you have many more great cruises in the near future,

Fred

There are folks out there who want to go on a cruise, and who cannot make their own arrangements even with the help of a travel agent.

No offence Fred, but if they can't make arrangements WITH THE HELP OF A TRAVEL AGENT then how in the hell do they function in life??? Anyone that bad off belongs in a home. Come on, it's not rocket science!

They can get BETTER (in many cases NONSTOP) flights themselves, that are EASIER for them, and really, anyone so bad off someone has to hold their hand the entire way would be better off staying home.

Fred,

I was not always an experienced traveler and so I let a travel agent and the cruisline make my arrangements at first with cruiseing, and even through the special needs department and it was a NIGHTMARE. Foolish me I figured maybe just circumstances, so next cruise I tried again. You guessed it. Since then I ALWAYS make my own plans and have never had a major SNAFU since.

Any disabled traveler needs to do their homework and learn all they can before traveling at all, and I would say this includes being familiar with and actually carrying with you the U.S. Dept of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382, Nondiscrimination on the basis of Disability in Air travel, or New Horizons, information for the air traveler with a disablity put out by the Aviatioin Consumer Protection branch of the Dept of Transportation, that one is a bit more user friendly. I never travel without a copy in hand.

Archived