Caye Caulker Anyone???

jenson123

Hello All,

I have seen a lot of posts about Caye Caulker in Belize. I am going on the Carnival Valor's Western Caribbean cruise on April 2nd, 2006. Would Like to know if a trip to this island is worth it and if anyone has any pictures of the island???? My email address is jenson123@comcast.net

Please Help!

Thanks,

John

Caye Caulker was our favorite stop on our cruise, and we went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman. Very laid back and peaceful. We really want to spend 4 or 5 days there in the next couple of years. I would highly recommend the trip to Caye Caulker. Great food and great Beer (Beliken). Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bobwat:)

Hey...your pic's are very cool! Really considering Caye Caulker as would like to visit one of the Caye but would like available food and beverages. A little concerned as to the times of the water taxis...sounds like you have to get one there and hope you make it to one of the first taxis or there is another 90 minute wait. then get one back figureing in the 45 minute ride...90 wait between taxis and the 30 min. tender back. Will we have any time left on the Caye? Is it really this confusing?

Karyn

pazandak63,

Thanks!

There are places to eat and plenty of places to drink on Caye Caulker. Just try to time getting off about 30 min before the first water taxi to Caulker. You may be up to two hours ahead of Belize so catching the 8:00 A.M. taxi shouldn't be hard. That would get you to caulker at 9:00 (10 or 11 ship time) and you wouldn't have to leave until the 1:30 (2:30 or 3:30 ship time) taxi. Depending when your ship leaves & what time of the year it is (daylight savings) you might even be able to stay til the 3:00 taxi.

You are aware it isn't a real beachy area. If you or your group is looking for a tropical island with snady beaches to lounge on and a sandy entrance to the water then I wouldn't go here. If you like spending a good portion of the day on boats, both enroute & snorkeling/diving from then it's perfect.

If you have any more questions just fire away.

Chris:cool:

A few questions if I may:

1) Would you kindly let me know how much are water taxi rides to Caye Caulker.

2) Isthere good snorkelling off of Caye Caulker ?

3) Can we access coral garden and ray/shark alley from there or are they only accessible by boat ?

Thanks.

me_no_workie,

1. I believe it's $17 US for a roundtrip ticket.

2. & 3. Most of Caye Caulker is surrounded by sea grass. There aren't really any areas where you can throw on some gear and swim out to for good snorkeling. Now, via boat only is the second largest barrier reef in the world. Very good snorkeling there...plenty of shallow areas with sandy bottoms for standing as well. Very private...not many cruisers make it out there...which is why we love it.

If you're debating about going at it alone or through an independent then read my two reviews...2004 we took the taxi and found a local...2005 we booked and were picked up in Belize with a smaller company (private charter).

Fire away with anything else!

Never been to Goff's but have read mixed things about it. I would check how many ships are in port that day cause I know that is a popular excursion spot. Being herded around with lots of others isn't our cup of tea.

On the other hand I have heard it is a beautiful setting.

You should be able to find tons of info on this forum.

Ya know...I just am not sure about the taxi thing...would like to but in on a group or something that is having one of those boats pick you up at the ship and leave you at Caulker and take you back...there is alot to think about with the ship time. taxi time, tender time...especially after a couple of drinks...did not really want to spend the night on Aaulker...LOL

Then...to add to the confusion...you can fly in...what to do? Hmmm?

Karyn

me_no_workie,

1. I believe it's $17 US for a roundtrip ticket.

2. & 3. Most of Caye Caulker is surrounded by sea grass. There aren't really any areas where you can throw on some gear and swim out to for good snorkeling. Now, via boat only is the second largest barrier reef in the world. Very good snorkeling there...plenty of shallow areas with sandy bottoms for standing as well. Very private...not many cruisers make it out there...which is why we love it.

If you're debating about going at it alone or through an independent then read my two reviews...2004 we took the taxi and found a local...2005 we booked and were picked up in Belize with a smaller company (private charter).

Fire away with anything else!

Thank you Chris,

I do have a follow up question on that private tour you took in 2005.

I found Tsusami Adventures' website and they are based in Caye Caulker. The web site mentions "Trips depart and return from Tsunami Adventures Office in Caye Caulker". But they picked you up near the tender port right ?

Anyways, I will contact them to confirm.

Thanks again.

Lou

Archived