How many pairs of shoes do you bring?

Hello everyone my wife and I have this disaggreement on the number of pairs of shoes we need. I bring 1 pair of sneakers,1 pair of brown loafers,1 pair of black loafers, 1 pair of black dress {formal night},1 pair of boat shoes for the deck and don't forget the water shoes for the beaches now that is 6 pairs is that too many or am I over packing.

LOL. Does she think you are bringing too many?

MY DH usually brings just about what you do, minus the black loafers and replacing the brown ones with brown casual shoes, he doesn't have "deck" shoes but brings sandals.

I on the other hand, need sandals for each outfit and flip-flops to match my swimsuits, plus evening shoes, so as you can see his 5 pairs no where compare to my approx. 12 pairs!

Just a work to the wise- Shoes do weigh quite a bit, (especially men's) so you might need to divide them up in to a couple suitcases. We usually try to weigh our luggage before we leave the house so we aren't moving things once we get to the airport.

Have a great cruise!:D

Hey Judi, if it weren't for the weight thing, I know I could fill a small suitcase just with shoes. Make sure to spread everybody's shoes among all the suitcases. You don't want to have a suitcase go missing and nobody have any shoes to wear.

Hi

I usually Take a good pair of trainers(can be used on and off the ship), pair sandles,flipflops for the pool and a pair of dress black shoes. I try to make sure most of my pants for dinner are black or that black shoes go with them avoids having to take brown shoes.

DH takes black dress shoes, brown loafers, water shoes, flip flops and wears his tennis shoes to travel. I, on the other hand take a minimum of 10 pair( not counting what I travel in) for a 7 day cruise. Like to have options!!! :D :D

Cindy ;)

Ahhhh, the shoes, it's the hardest part of packing for a cruise. :eek: :eek:

DH will be good with 3-4 pair. Me on the other hand, I take (need) up to 6 pair. As I packed for our last cruise I took out one outfit cause it would of required bringing a pair of shoes just for that one outfit, wasn't worth it. So it really comes down to mix & matching....and I have learned to.....

"take away half the clothes and double the money!!" :D

I must be the only woman who cruises who doesn't have a thing for shoes...I usually make sure that I pack clothes that go with black dress and casual shoes, wear the heaviest pair (usually tennies or walking shoes) to travel and add sandals - depending on where we're cruising and flip-flops for pool/spa and I'm good to go. Never noticed anyone staring at my feet or commenting on my poor selection and it leaves me more room to pack the extra clothes that I need to account for weather possibilities. Sorry, ladies, but I just don't get it ;)

I've had this debate with my husband and friends for the past 6 months! On a seven day cruise this past August on the Navigator, I took 16 pairs of shoes - but do we really have to count each pair of flip flops as a pair of shoes?!? ;) On a five day cruise last month on the Grandeur, I'm proud to say that I was able to bring the number down to 12 pairs of shoes (this includes the winter shoes I had to wear to travel from chilly Virginia). We packed a suitcase of only shoes since the December trip included my teenage daughter (who, by the way, is proving that the apple doesn't far fall from the tree!)

~Debbi

I have my hubby down to four pairs: tennis shoes, water shoes, dress shoes and one nicer pair of shoes for the non-formal nights that goes with pretty much anything he might be wearing. As for my own shoes, I'm working on that but I'm only down to 10 pairs. ;)

you are right...flip flops do not really count as 'shoes'....they are soooo light and easy to pack...(that is my story and I'm sticking to it!:rolleyes: )

so I decided to take 4 pairs in different colours to match my bathing suits.....bringing my total back up to 10 EKKK:p

My DH went out and bought brown dress shoes...I guess he figures if you can't beat them...join them... means less room for my shoes!!!LOL

I must be the only woman who cruises who doesn't have a thing for shoes...I usually make sure that I pack clothes that go with black dress and casual shoes, wear the heaviest pair (usually tennies or walking shoes) to travel and add sandals - depending on where we're cruising and flip-flops for pool/spa and I'm good to go. Never noticed anyone staring at my feet or commenting on my poor selection and it leaves me more room to pack the extra clothes that I need to account for weather possibilities. Sorry, ladies, but I just don't get it ;)

I'm with you, Sheila! I take 3-4 pairs for a week. Dancing shoes for formal night, low dressy heels for other nights, gym/walking shoes (one pair does both) and maybe a pair of sandals or flipflops for sea days. DH often has one more pair than I do!

I've had this debate with my husband and friends for the past 6 months! On a seven day cruise this past August on the Navigator, I took 16 pairs of shoes - but do we really have to count each pair of flip flops as a pair of shoes?!? ;) On a five day cruise last month on the Grandeur, I'm proud to say that I was able to bring the number down to 12 pairs of shoes (this includes the winter shoes I had to wear to travel from chilly Virginia). We packed a suitcase of only shoes since the December trip included my teenage daughter (who, by the way, is proving that the apple doesn't far fall from the tree!)

~Debbi

I've never really paid much attention to how many shoes I take on a cruise. I mean, I knew I took a lot, but I never really counted them until July 2004, Adventure of the Seas. After talking with some people that I met here on CC and at the Meet & Mingle, the subject of shoes came up so I finally counted what I brought. Now, mind you, these include flip-flops in various colors and styles. 19 pair! I felt I had a logical reason for each and every pair. However, when it was all said and done, I realized that I ended up wearing the same 5 or 6 pair of shoes. I had a different pair of dressy shoes for every night. However, I ended up wearing the same black pair because they were the most comfortable.

I have been on several cruises since then and I've done SO much better with the shoe packing. I finally realized that no one really notices that I've worn the same pair of black dressy shoes every night. And even if they did...who cares?

So now I usually take two pair of strappy black dress heels (one is a back up in case of a broken heel or broken strap), maybe 2-3 flip flops and/or sandals. And one pair of sneakers. Total 6-7 pair of shoes for a week cruise.

I have finally discovered a way for us to take all of our shoes and clothes that we want onboard the airplane and the cruise ship. As far as entertainment on the airplane, pack a book in your carry-on. The rest of the room in the carryon, you can use for clothes or shoes. You can check-in 2 pieces of luggage on the plane so use one big suitcase for clothes and the other for shoes.

On our recent trip to Europe I took 4 pair. 1 black dress shoe, 1 casual brown shoe, 1 tennis shoe, and 1 flip flops. This covered all my dress options and took less space. Leaving more space for other things. We had a packing dilema, as we were only allowed 1 checked bag on our flight from London to Barcelona. We did fine and got by with doing laundry in Barcelona before boarding Brilliance in Barcelona. Good luck and have safe and wonderful travels. Andros

My husband probably packs 4 pair. Sneakers (worn) sandals, black shoes, casual dress shoes, do slippers count?

I used to take a lot of shoes, now I've learned ways to cut back. I take 2 pair evening shoes (usually black) one formal, one less formal, sneakers, my favorite comfy sandals and flip flops for the pool. No way do I need every color of "cute" to haul along!

I'd actually love to find a perfect pair of black evening shoes to go with everything I wear at night.

Pack light, make life easy.

Wow - for a girl I'm totally conservative on shoes! I bring sneakers (worn on the plane down) black and white dressy shoes for casual nights (each pair goes with a couple of outfits) 2 pairs of shoes for formal nights (each goes with a different dress) and three pairs of flip-flops (two rubber and one dressier leather). That comes to only 8 pairs including flip flops!

I think my huband brings four or five pairs (probably sneakers, casual evening shoes, formal night shoes and tevas) but since his are a size 13 mens and mine are a size 5 1/2 ladies, I think my eight pairs actually take up less room that his five!

We pack all of ours in those long bags that the newspaper comes in (we save the bags for a couple of weeks to get enough), and then put them all in a duffle bag with things like toilet kits and camera tripods. It feels so decadant to tell non-cruising friends that we take a bag just for shoes!

1 black dress shoe, 1 casual brown shoe, 1 tennis shoe, and 1 flip flops.

Andros, what did you wear on the other foot?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I read your post really fast and I expected to read that the cruise line lost all the left shoes or something!

It is so funny that this comes up now. I spent the better part of last evening going through the "shoe dance". Figuring out which pairs could do double duty and if I could bring the number down at all. As of now it looks like 5 or 6 pairs for me which is a good number. I try to pick out my outfits so that I can wear the same shoe multiple times. So that leaves me with 3 pairs for dinners 1 pair of sandals 1 pair of flip flops and a pair of sneakers. Ok I guess I'm officially up to 6!

DH will end up with 3. Sneakers, dress shoes and sandals. How I envy him :D :D

Boy is this thread a HUGE validation for me! My husband always jokes that we bring a small carry on size piece of luggage that just contains shoes for me and my teenage daughter. Of course he only takes 3 or 4 pair but he has bigger shoes. I can probably put 4 pair or more of flip flops in the space that his big 'ol sneakers take up! We live in California so my closet is filled with shoes...all sandals/flip flops in every color. I love them and I never spend very much for them so what is the big deal?:p I will have to show my husband this thread...he will laugh and my validation will be complete! Thanks guys!! Marilyn :D

My husband usually packs several pairs of shoes, he takes one black pair of dress shoes, one brown pair of dress shoes, wears his tennis shoes onto the boat, a pair of flip-flops or sandals and usually one pair of extra tennis shoes so that is what......5.

Me on the other hand take a lot more. I take dress shoes to match whatever formal dresses I take so on a weeklong cruise that is at least two, unless I take two dresses of the same color which I usually don't, then I have to have flip-flops to match every outfit then I pack my tennis shoes too as well as a comfortable pair of sandals. I usually end up with at least 10 pairs of shoes, luckily most of them are flip-flops, not only are they light but they are easy to pack, we have to fly in and if I had to have a full suitcase of shoes DH would kill me LOL.

Archived