QM2: 29 knots with just three motors???

Bollinge

I note that three stops have been cancelled on the Queen's current voyage, and she is sailing direct from Fort Lauderdale to Rio de Janeiro, where she is due next Thursday.

I roughly checked the distance on my globe with a shoelace, and it appears the distance from Florida to Rio is around 5000 nm. If she is to arrive on time, seven days after departure, it involves a speed of around 29 knots.

Is that possible with one motor out of service, or are my calculations way off course?

P.S. Have you seen Cruise Critic correspondent Jackatsea's interesting weblog of the voyage: http://www.jackatsea.com/

Currently it is a 6am we are traveling at 25 knots. We got a notice that there will be a 50 percent reembursemnt on this portion of the cruise. Didn't know we would have so many sea days.. feel sorry for the people who are only going to Rio. We may miss other stops on other legs as well. All else is going fairly well

Shore excursions are only booked at each leg and not in advance and not on the internet in the rooms. So once you board it is first come first serve. Of course all the ones we did sign up for are cancelled because we are not going there..

Thanks Jimneycrkit, for the info. I'm breathing a sigh of relief about the shore excursions, and that you all are safely underway from Ft. Lauderdale. I'm sorry to hear about the stops being cancelled. Hopefully the compensation will make up for some of the disappointment, but I'm sure people who were greatly looking forward to those ports are still bummed about it.

Currently top speed is 28 knots. We are not too far from Barbados. All ports for the next legs to LA are still on. Got an update last night. There are two shortened times. One inMontevideo leaving at 2 am instead of later and then in Acupulco onlt there 12 -6 pm. We get ship board credit for the shortened times. All other prts from Rio are still on. We get to Rio on the 27th. Good thing I like sea days.. Very stormy out here with big swells. Two meetings today with the Commodore to keep people informed and to answer the complanints from the people that are only going to Rio. we will see what the offer is up to now. Otherwise having a very nice relaxing time and the crew has stepped it up a notvch with their friendliness. Seem to be over compensation right now. Oh well I hope the angry people get over it. many yesterday were threatening to sue. I guess they didn't read their contracts.

The measurement from Fort Lauderdale to Rio done by Bollinge with a shoelace is quite close - reported to be about 5,000 NM. Our 2004 Caronia trip from Rio to FL, including stops at Barbados and St. Thomas, was reported by the ship to be 4,762 NM. Who needs GPS when you have a shoelace?

Currently top speed is 28 knots.

Interesting illustration of the exponential growth in power required to increase speed.....very crudely:

2 pods = 22 knots (11 knots/pod)

+1 pod = 28 knots (+6 knots/pod - for the additional pod)

+1 pod = 30 knots (+2 knots/pod - for the additional pod)

As I said, very crude - perhaps the 22 knots is not quite right and possibly the top speed is a little higher.....however the general picture is about right....which shows that all the advances in technology have not overcome the basic laws of hydrodynamics....and why the express liners of yore led such precarious financial lives......

Peter

My Chief Marine Engineer (for steam vessels) father said that to double a ship's speed the ship's horsepower would need to be cubed. So if two pods can do 22 knots it means that one pod can do better than 11 when running full out. Therefore there is only a small incremental increase of speed when operating all four pods to their fullest extent as opposed to just three being used.

Archived