Any Runners Out There?

runnerman

We have never cruised before and will be taking the panama canal cruise on April 24 onboard Galaxy. We will be in the middle of training for a marathon and were wondering what the fitness facility is like. Are there plenty of treadmills? Are they in decent shape? Are the fitness facilities open around the clock? We don't want to be treadmill hogs. Is there a track to run on outside and if so, how far around might it be? We hate running on treadmills but are afraid we may have to bite the bullet and do what we have to do. Sorry for all of the questions, but we are clueless. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.

Yes there are threadmills on the ship. They are mostly used in the AM and you can sign up to use them.

There is a small area to run outside - which I do every cruise - because I like it a lot better than running in place. And a few other reasons.

But if you run outside you should do so from 7:00am till about 8:00am every day.

The walkers come out about 7:30am on.

The deck starts to fill up about 8:00am.

But you can also run after 5:00pm outside as most have left the outside running area.

On the Galaxy this is a lot of laps to get a mile in and the torque on your knees from the sharp turns all the time may not be to your liking.

I can't speak for ships other than the milli class but I have found there to be good treadmills and they are generally full only for a few hours in the morning, on the first few day, if that long. By day 3 they aren't as busy.

My wife and I were marathon training on 2 cruises before. We found that if we didn't run at peak times, we could stay on for an hour plus and feel no guilt from being a hog.

The fitness area does close for the night. I didn't know the hours.

The track is nearly worthless if you want to run for more than a mile. The reasons include:

1. Traffic--plenty of walkers and slow woggers and deck chairs and waiters etc.

2. Sharp corners--at about 12 laps a mile, you will put alot of strain on your knees always cornering.

One thing I noticed is the roll of the ship is very obvious on the treadmills. Between runing on a moving surface and the location at the top front of the ship, you will need to grab the handles from time to time.

Be careful and don't be shocked if your 8 minute pace is more of a 9 minute pace on the ship. The energy you burn keeping your balance will require you to slow down alittle. Not to worry though, your speed will return with your land legs.

thanks so much for the input. We will try to avoid the peak times when doing long runs and will definately stay off the track at 12 laps per mile:eek:. That's torture. We can handle the treadmills, although I can count on one hand the number of times I have trained on them in the past year. We are outside runners and brave the elements rather than be stuck in one place running. I'm to ADD for that, but I know everyone has their thing. Thanks so much for your help. We are excited about our first cruise!

Depending on where you stop, you might have some running chances on land.

I recommend you avoid the roads in any non-us port as they will be dangerous if you are in a car and worse on foot.

Go to the book store and look at Sterns guide to cruising. It has a section on good runs in various ports of call. Also, go on line and look for resorts with jogging trails, or of course, find a nice long beach.......

On the Millennium ships it is 5 laps per mile, not 12.

I do agree about obstacles. The "track" path is partly a common area on the upper deck surrounding the pool. There are generally people milling around, walking from place to place, waiters, and people who've put chairs in this area. Just something to put up with. It slows me down just walking, so I imagine it would be more of an obstacle for runners. Since I walk, I guess I myself am an obstacle for runners!

On the Millennium class ships this area is about 1/3 of the lap - the other 2/3 is around the back half of the ship which is comparatively clearer and a much wider path.

You'll also find yourself going into a pretty strong head or tail wind part way around. Makes it a bit of a challange.

On Century class don't they have a wrap around veranda deck? Is this a good area for running/walking?

The Galaxy gym is small and does not have the same amount of equipment as the "M" class ships. The gyms on Celebrity ships are normally open from 7:00AM to 10:00PM. By 7:15AM you can expect all the treadmills to filled, particulalry on sea days. If you want to run outside you need to do it very early in the morning as the running track will be littered with deck chairs by late morning. The sun bathers don't care that their chair is turned so that it protrudes on to the running track. If you are a guy, I suugest you run topless on the open deck. When you do that the sweat will fly all over people who have selfishly put their chairs on the running track.

I am an avid runner and a cruiser. I got bored with the laps around deck years ago, as it is a pain to manuever around walkers and those out for a stroll.

At home, I would never use a treadmill but I do when cruising. I go very early, as soon as the gym opens, as I run early at home and stick to my routine. I have never had a problem getting a free treadmill.

OK, confession time! I'm a walker, and I do try very hard to stay out of the runners' way.

But for the sunbathers - every once in a while I might have given someone's deck chair the tiniest little accidental kick (or even two!:eek: ) on my way past if it was pulled out into the jogging path.

(Hint for runners: if you wear nylon clothing that makes a swishing noise, or have a pocketful of change that jingles, or otherwise make a bit of noise, I will hear you coming and make sure I'm well out of your way.)

Lisa

Stupid question...new to sailing on Celebrity AND never really exercised on previous cruises. Is there an arrow pointing the correct way to walk on the track? Also is it somewhat like the highway, slow traffic on the right hand side? Just trying not to create any problems while I'm out for my 'jaunt' :)

Nikki:

No real rules, other than common sense. People walk and run both ways. So you'll see lots of people face to face twice each lap (going the other way), and at the same time may never see the people going the same way as you!

I really enjoy walking the deck on the Summit. I try to do 4 miles a day or more (about 20 laps). If you go mid afternoon the party band will be playing by the pool, and you can hear them for about 1/3 of your laps.

I hope you enjoy the Summit. We were originally booked for this year on the same cruise as you, but later switched to the Hawaii cruise to join some of our cruise friends, whom we met on the Summit last March.

Nikki:

"No real rules, other than common sense. People walk and run both ways".

That's generally not true, fortunately. Most passengers abide by the universal standard at all tracks that the traffic goes counterclockwise. Every once in a while sometime tries to buck the traffic and it creates a mess. COUNTERCLOCKWISE is the way to go!

Guess I'm wrong on this one.

But from a casual observation I'd say it is about 50/50 as far as direction. Although I'll admit I never actually counted.

There is definitely no signs or other suggestion on what way to go, so no way to inform the walkers of the "right way"

Sometimes I'll switch half way through to keep my tan even.;)

On Century class don't they have a wrap around veranda deck? Is this a good area for running/walking?

Nope, it's the same deal, only shorter yet. The running area is above the pool deck, starts at the forward area of the pool, and runs to the rear of the pool. Not even as big as the M-Class. A warning -- don't try to cheat and go up a deck at the aft end of the pool. The folks in the Sky Suites below may form a pool towel gauntlet in response:p

Archived