trouble in paradise?

rick47

Ecuador (Country threat level - 3): Tensions continue to increase in Quito, the capital, as labor unions have called for demonstrations on 24 January 2006 to protest a government proposal to increase the minimum wage by only 6 percent, instead of the 20 percent initially offered. In addition, local reports emerging on 20 January indicate that students in Quito clashed with police officers overnight in a protest that left more than 150 people injured and 185 arrested. The protest initially focused on reports that bus tickets would become more expensive, but authorities have denied any transportation price hike. Transportation providers, however, continue to demand an increase while the students have asked the government to sign a document promising not to increase fares. The demonstrators are also protesting the signing of a free trade agreement with the United States and demanding the expulsion of U.S.-based Occidental Petroleum Corporation and the issuance of student I.D. cards. The clashes on 19 January paralyzed northern, southern and downtown Quito, as protesters threw rocks at police officers, damaged homes and businesses, and even forced a shutdown of the Congress. Anti-riot police officers have been unable to control the protest.

Furthermore, indigenous peoples' organizations have also called for demonstrations against the eventual signing of the free trade agreement. These protests are scheduled to occur in early February.

This is not to scare anyone but a heads-up is in order for those of us on the 2/5/06 and those whose cruise is coming up soon. The web site is airsecurity.com and I have contacted Celebrity who had no knowledge of any problems but assured me that they have our safety and best interests covered. I believe them and have never doubted this line.

Ecuador (Country threat level - 3): A nationwide transportation strike began on 23 January 2006 in demand of fare increases, among other issues. The strike, which is indefinite, is reportedly affecting most major cities, including Quito, the capital. Meanwhile, in Guayaquil, only companies providing inter-provincial services are observing the strike. According to reports, the southern part of Quito has been blocked since 0500 local time, and strikers have vowed to block roads across the country.

Notified Celebrity but no response as yet so I guess they feel that we shouldn't be effected. I realize that this country has had many political problems lately (especially the fishing industry) so I must assume they are well aware of the situation and will keep us safe. LLooking forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

Rick,

I contacted our travel agent and asked her to talk to Celebrity about the situation. Her reply to me, from Celebrity, was that they are aware of the situation and do not feel that it will endanger the lives of their passengers. They also said they are keeping an eye on the situation and will notify her if there are any further developments. Well, that's reassuring. We shouldn't get killed. Nothing was said about any disruption of our itinerary. I guess we'll see when we get there. Are you scheduled to fly in on 2-3 for the 2 nights pre at the Marriott? Also the 2 nights post as we will be doing?

Week from today!

Linda

Archived