Carnival Cruise-my gift to my parents. Any suggestions to make it memorable?

Aldeya

This is my parents first cruise ever. My family cruised 3 times, but this is our first Carnival adventure.icon_smile.gif

Anyway, because of my parents health concerns they can't fly, and can't take longer cruises. So I booked 4-nights cruise from NY to Canada on Carnival Victory.

This will be a surprise for them, and I want to make this trip as memorable for them as possible.

I'm worried about long lines during embarcation because my mother have difficulties standing.(She feels embarassed to use a wheelchair). Is there any way I can get checked her and father in without them standing in lines?

As I said I never been on Carnival ships, so I know very little about Victory. I searched on the boards, read a few short reviewes.

Does anyone have some suggestions what I can do to make this cruise memorable for them (they can't walk around the ship much).

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Try calling carnival guest relations and see what they might suggest. Apart from using a wheelchair or someone accomadating them on the cruise such as an aide. Try to book a cabin thats like one deck up or down from the theater or dining room.This will give them less traveling to do.

And who knows this might just give them a little extra invigorating energy.

Wish i could take my parents on a cruise,but like your parents mine are also in poor health, especially my dad (77yrs old ).It's sure is nice of ya'll to do something so nice for them. Hope they have a wonderful time as so many of our parents should experience in their golden years.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;05;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/16 Destiny/life is short/take a long cruise

How about a balcony room? They could have many pleasant moments just sitting there, listening to the ocean. Also you might consider ordering something special for their cabin, like flowers, candy, or wine. Also, I think the family photo idea is great.

Longin2cruise

Enchanted Isle 5/96

Celebration 9/98

MS Monterey 10/00

Carnival Spirit 3/02

Celebration 9/02

Conquest 12/02

Carnival Spirit 12/03

I would surely get ahold of Carnival guest relations and have your TA note any handicaps or special dietary needs on the booking. Carnival will bend over backwards to remove any barriers they might face in cruising.

I think that's really important since this is a surprize. It wouldn't concern me if they'd cruised before and you knew they could tolerate it physically. I just think you need to have every step of the way planned to make it a smooth and enjoyable experience.

With all that taken care of I like the idea of a family portrait for sure

The Victory is a great ship, we've sailed her 3 times so far and plan on returning in December for our holiday cruise. She IS a really big ship though so the note above about cabin selection is especially important.

I agree in getting a balcony if possible. Not knowing how well they will like the whole cruising thing I think a balcony offers more flexiblity and helps insure a great cruise. In other words; if they don't like the ship or the people on it they can hang out in their cabin or on the balcony and enjoy the ocean.

If it was me, I'd also consider a mid-ship cabin just to make it easier for them to get around and not have so far to go. They'll probably want to see some shows so an Aft cabin, while close to the food and dining, would be a long walk to a show.

On the other hand, we, for example, don't go to many shows so the aft location is great for us.

Finally, I think the way to have a really memorable and enriching cruise vacation is to get involved, even in the silly stuff. You'll create memories that will last forever.

One of my fondest memories occured right on the Victory at the passenger talent show night. There was an elderly man, must have been pushing 90 for sure, that sang a love song to his wife of 60 years, the same one he had last sung to her when he proposed.

Needless to say, he brought the house down and I'd bet people who didn't even know him (like us) will remember that for a long time.

I think you're on the right track, I'd love to believe my kids will be as caring for us later in life.

Good for you and Happy Easter

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I realize this may be out-of-reach, but a suite, with Skipper's Club, would eliminate the embarkation lines (although, I don't know if they honor it in NY). I am doing this for my Mother, out of Tampa, in May. Also, we're talking about some money, but I am ordering her a leather photo album from Wellwishers.com that's engraved on the outside, and personalized on the inside, to be in the stateroom when we arrive. (she thinks the "upgrade" came from Carnival-which is what I wanted her to think!) We had originally booked a 6A guarantee. She has been talking of nothing else, ever since she was mailed a copy of the reservation from Carnival. (much to my shagrin.. I wanted her to be surprised-much later..) She's been as giddy as a kitten on catnip!! It was the best money I ever spent. She deserves it, after putting up with me and my siblings for so long. (hee-hee).

Not trying to talk you into changing any plans. Just had to share. Note that this was probably a one-time thing for us, and I DID have the funds available, this time.. What are your parents interests? Anything they REALLY like to do, or would enjoy doing this time?

Lead, Follow, or Get the $&@* out of the way!

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Great ideas everyone!icon_smile.gif

I got my parents a cat 8C balcony cabin, midship. Considering that I knew almost nothing about Carnival ships, and Victory in particular, I just thought that with a midship cabin will be easier for them to get to the places they would want to go: less walking.

Since I booked the cruise I read on the boards that Victory has 2 dining rooms, Atlantic and Pacific. I understand that the Atlantic room is midship and would be very convenient for my parents. How do I go about making sure that they are assigned to the Atlantic dining room not the Pacific? Do I have to wait until we are on board and talk to the stuff, or I can do something before?

I will definitely do a family portrait. And the idea of ordering something special for their cabin is great.Unfortunately, suite is out of reach for us money wise.. may be someday.. icon_smile.gif

I hope I will be able to make great memories for all of us.

Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions.

I took my mother on her first cruise (mine too) at age 78. She had a walker that she took with (has a seat and everything) and this helped her to get around. She preferred it over a wheelchair because she still had her independence. But, with the walker I didn't have to worry about her losing her balance, plus whenever she was tired, she had a seat right there. We walked and walked all over the ship because we didn't want to miss anything. We were on the Ecstasy and I splurged for a balcony. It wasn't really in my budget, but I decided to cut back on other things at home to make it in my budget. At her age, I figured she would opt to rest more frequently and with the balcony, plus at her age, this would probably be our only cruise together. Now look, she's turning 80 and we are doing it again. With the balcony she could rest and enjoy the view. She could actually lay on her side in the bed and see out to the ocean. It was the best choice I could have made. Only problem is now, I am spoiled and want a balcony every time. LOL I was able to book the early dining since my mother is diabetic. Because they knew her age and that she would be using a walking aide, they assigned a table right at the front of the dining room so she did not have much walking here. Talk to your TA or Carnival. When you first board, check out where you are seated and if it is not what you accepted, ask if it can be changed. Now that my mother is two years older, we will not be getting off at our two ports (she may surprise me though). But, I know that being on the cruise ship is the most important aspect of the trip. Enjoy your time with your parents.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until our 05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise and the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy- Mom's 80th birthday surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

how nice and caring of you. carnival has wonderful cabin gifts you can choose from. i for one will not pay for the food you can buy when you have already paid for it in the cost of the cruise. i agree with the portrait or get them some soda coupons or a ship money gift certificate. anything will be appriciated and they will have a wonderful trip im sure. and i hope you get the check-in process taken care of.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

Just go to the dining room you are assigned to (it will be listed on your Sign and Sail card) as soon as you get on board and tell them about it.

I'm sure they can accomodate the change if it's necessary...you might already be there.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

If it is really difficult for them to get around, I am sure Carnival photographers would go to their cabin and take photos on the balcony or in the room. Wish them a wonderful cruise. You are doing a wonderful thing. I congatulate you.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Aldeya,

I would definitely call Carnival and let them know about special needs. Cruised out of NY last year. Be aware that even if there are no long lines, it's a long walk from the curb to the ship (no place to sit on the way). We arrived about 12:30 pm with very little wait but, unless things have changed, you're in charge of your own luggage until you're on the ship, at which time porters will take it to your cabin. Make sure you have ALL your documentation completed ahead of time...or you will be filling out forms on a window ledge.

The balcony is a great idea! Enjoy you cruise.

NJcm

Fascination 5/24....getting closer!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks again everyone.

and NJcruisemom thank you for letting me know about the long walk to the ship. It will be a problem. I think I can use kajsb suggestion about the special walker with the seat.

You mentioned about completing all deocumentation before the cruise. Did you mean completing them online, "FunPass" I read about?

Thanks again. I'm amazed how helpful people are on this board.

I hope one day I'll also be able to help someone here. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aldeya:

Thanks again everyone.

and NJcruisemom thank you for letting me know about the long walk to the ship. It will be a problem. I think I can use kajsb suggestion about the special walker with the seat.

You mentioned about completing all documentation before the cruise. Did you mean completing them online, "FunPass" I read about?

Thanks again. I'm amazed how helpful people are on this board.

I hope one day I'll also be able to help someone here. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aldeya,

If you are considering a walker, I suggest this website http://scooterville.net/walkersall3.html The prices beat anywhere else I looked and there is no tax or shipping costs. I got my mom hers when she was admiring the one that my doctor got me. I have Multiple Sclerosis and when it flares up, I need the walker. The one my doctor got me was Cruiser Deluxe 4202. This is the same one that I got my mother. It turns out the shop is only about 10 minutes from my house. We found this out when the order arrived at my Mom's in Arizona. I live in California. I highly recommend this for your mother. You don't need to worry about her losing her balance and falling. Plus whenever there is a line, she always has her own seat. On all shore tours and on the ship, everyone was very accomadating and there to offer assistance. Good Luck!

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Let me know if I can be of further help. I know what it's like dealing with aging parents. My E-mail is kajsb@aol.com. Should you E-mail me, please put cruise critic in the subject line. That way I won't erase it thinking it is spam.

Kathy

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

I also have trouble standing, so I requested a wheel chair at checkin. There is a form that teh Carnival rep sent me to fill out, and we did the whole thing via email.

I don't think they'll provide a chair for hte whole trip, but they definately will for embark/debarkation.

DMS

Or maybe make your own Bon Voyage gift,but it might not be practicle to get on board.But some sort of basket with their favorite snack,cheese&crackers,fruit etc,maybe some sparlkly if they partake.Some disposable cameras or film,a journal for memory making,sunscreen,chap stick...

Or have 2 robes sent to their room(especially nice with a balcony) that they can take home with them...

Have fun...

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

Instead of Carnival robes...

splurge at home & buy Mom & Dad nice silk-type robes or pajamas & slippers. (Check out some of the great sales going on!) Just sneak them into the packed luggage ahead of time with their anniversary card.

Ken & Nancy dog1.gif

Archived