Which one?

mama_2_boys

We are currently booked on the Glory 7 day out of NOLA going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel in a balcony and interior on the 6th deck above Club O2. When we booked there was nothing at all that would work for us on any other ship for the dates we needed for a 7 day. Today it looks like I could book the Breeze 7 day out of Port Canaveral going to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk in an oceanview and interior for around $300 more on deck 1. Is it worth it to give up a balcony for an oceanview for $300 more on a lower deck? The ports look more appealing and I'm concerned about being above Club O2 with a 6 year old that won't be up super late, but we love having a balcony and being higher up on the ship. Thoughts?

It would depend on if you have to pay any penalties for cancelling your current cruise and booking the other, could end up costing more that just $300.

Also I'd consider which port is easier to get to, for instance if I could drive a couple hours to NOLA, but would have to fly to PC or vice versa.

Also, would you be happy loosing your balcony and spending 7 nights in the belly of the ship?

23 minutes ago, schazzy said:

It would depend on if you have to pay any penalties for cancelling your current cruise and booking the other, could end up costing more that just $300.

Also I'd consider which port is easier to get to, for instance if I could drive a couple hours to NOLA, but would have to fly to PC or vice versa.

Also, would you be happy loosing your balcony and spending 7 nights in the belly of the ship?

I wasn't thinking about penalties since we aren't to final payment yet. 

We are driving and both are close in distance.

We love having a balcony but we've happily stayed in interiors before as well. We haven't stayed in an oceanview before. 

All great points. I feel so indecisive. The Breeze is originally the cruise I wanted to book but we couldn't find rooms that would work at the time. 

2 minutes ago, mama_2_boys said:

I wasn't thinking about penalties since we aren't to final payment yet. 

Ah, okay, well if you booked Early Saver, you loose your deposit, any payments you made should be returned in the form of Future Cruise Credit, or at least that's what i've been told by Carnival. If you booked with a rate that has a refundable deposit, then you should be fine to switch with no loss of money.

2 minutes ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are driving and both are close in distance.

We love having a balcony but we've happily stayed in interiors before as well. We haven't stayed in an oceanview before. 

All great points. I feel so indecisive. The Breeze is originally the cruise I wanted to book but we couldn't find rooms that would work at the time. 

Well, we like having the view from a balcony, but are perfectly fine in an ocean view since we don't really use a balcony enough to justify the higher price tag when they are too much more than a OV. So, we are booked in a OV for our upcoming cruise.

Honestly, if the money, cabin and the distance to port are not factors, and you prefer that ship and itinerary, I'd say go for it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Ah, okay, well if you booked Early Saver, you loose your deposit, any payments you made should be returned in the form of Future Cruise Credit, or at least that's what i've been told by Carnival. If you booked with a rate that has a refundable deposit, then you should be fine to switch with no loss of money.

Well, we like having the view from a balcony, but are perfectly fine in an ocean view since we don't really use a balcony enough to justify the higher price tag when they are too much more than a OV. So, we are booked in a OV for our upcoming cruise.

Honestly, if the money, cabin and the distance to port are not factors, and you prefer that ship and itinerary, I'd say go for it!

Thank you for your input. I'm going to call my pvp and see if it would cost us anything to switch.

• Like 1

I'm curious what your PVP tells you. I just booked and I asked the question about changes. Basically, I was told that before final payment I would be able to transfer my deposit to another sailing. There'd be a $50 admin fee, and then obviously any difference in fare. It is entirely possible that I misunderstood the information though.

In regards to itinerary - if you think the itinerary is worth the extra $300 then I would switch. I've done oceanviews several times and they're fine. I like the natural light. It's not a huge window and you don't have as amazing views as in a balcony, but I like being able to look out. I'm more amenable to an OV on cruises with fewer sea days. If there are a lot of sea days, I reeeaaaallllyyyy like the balcony. 

I live in Nola and love the convenience of having the cruise ship in my backyard.  I do however prefer to sale out of Florida now as those ports are much better.  Hope you enjoy whatever cruise you decide on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lab_love123 said:

I'm curious what your PVP tells you. I just booked and I asked the question about changes. Basically, I was told that before final payment I would be able to transfer my deposit to another sailing. There'd be a $50 admin fee, and then obviously any difference in fare. It is entirely possible that I misunderstood the information though.

In regards to itinerary - if you think the itinerary is worth the extra $300 then I would switch. I've done oceanviews several times and they're fine. I like the natural light. It's not a huge window and you don't have as amazing views as in a balcony, but I like being able to look out. I'm more amenable to an OV on cruises with fewer sea days. If there are a lot of sea days, I reeeaaaallllyyyy like the balcony. 

He told me it would be $50pp to change and difference in fare. It ended up being close to $800 and that isn't worth it for us. We are sticking with the Glory this year and going to do the Magic or Horizon next year.

9 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

He told me it would be $50pp to change and difference in fare. It ended up being close to $800 and that isn't worth it for us.

I was afraid that would be the case and that is a bit too much just to switch.

10 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are sticking with the Glory this year and going to do the Magic or Horizon next year.

There ya go, make the best of this cruise and I'm sure you'll find another cruise next year that will have the same or similar itinerary as the one you wanted. :classic_smile: 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are currently booked on the Glory 7 day out of NOLA going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel in a balcony and interior on the 6th deck above Club O2. When we booked there was nothing at all that would work for us on any other ship for the dates we needed for a 7 day. Today it looks like I could book the Breeze 7 day out of Port Canaveral going to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk in an oceanview and interior for around $300 more on deck 1. Is it worth it to give up a balcony for an oceanview for $300 more on a lower deck? The ports look more appealing and I'm concerned about being above Club O2 with a 6 year old that won't be up super late, but we love having a balcony and being higher up on the ship. Thoughts?

If the ports are more appealing to you, then it would be worth it to you.  

If you have sailed Carnival before, I always do the past guest fare in case I want to cancel or change.  I am not sure if it is still true or not but didn't have penalty with that fare and it is usually just 10 to 20 dollars more.  Next time you book as your PVP.