Star Tours?? - Shark Ray Alley

ZGirl

What ship and when? We are on NCL Dream in Belize on 2/1, and I am considering booking them. They offered a tour for the 4 of us, meet us at Tourist Village at either 8:00 or 9:00, go to Shark Ray Alley (the one by San Pedro) and Hol Chan Marine park, 1 hour at each site for $65 per person. I haven't booked yet, but am seriously considering.

We did Shark Ray Alley by Caye Caulker last year through Ecological Tours (Marvin Deras) last year, and it was great. Booked it right on the spot at the tourist village. It was a bit cheaper than Star Tours, but we are looking for something similar but slightly different this year. Star Tours is headquartered at Tropics Hotel on Caye Caulker, and mostly cater to people staying at their hotel and other vacation rentals on the island. I get the imperssion they don't get a lot of cruise ship tour business, so am hoping for a small group (maybe just us).

We love to snorkel, but most tours don't allow as much time in the water as we would like, thus I try to find places we can snorkel from shore or small group tours that cater more to our wishes.

Good luck.

The price for cruise ship tours is not listed on their site, but it is more because they include roundtrip transportation from Belize City, and they must tailor the tours to fit the schedules of the ship. Transportation on the water taxi is normally $17.50 round trip, plus $45 for the Hol Chan tour, gets close to the $65 they quoted. I won't bicker about the $2.50 difference if the tour is as good as it sounds. I suspect we could just take the water taxi, show up at their dive shop, and book on the spot, but for the one day in the year we will be in Belize, I don't want to take any chances.

The other option we considered is the catamaran sail to Turneffe Atoll. I would love to go there, but they only give you 35 minutes in the water, and the rest is a "party cruise". What a waste, in my opinion. I can party anywhere, but I live in Nebraska and only get to snorkel a couple times a year.

Melissa, I will be on the Grand 2/11. We booked a tour for shark/ray alley with Coral Breeze. But after reading that thread...am looking for a different company. The Grand has such a limited time in Belize City, that we are considering using the cruiseship tour, but hate the cattlecar thought. Lately the Grand has been staying longer & not going to GC. Have you heard what your cruise will do?

Kay

Dixiecat,

Check with Ecological Tours (Marvin Deras) at www.belizeshoretours.com Other threads have recommended them in place of Coral Breeze, and we had a great experience with them last January. They are very conscientious of ship schedules, and promise to get you back in time (assuming they know in advance what time your ship leaves). We would book them again this year, but want a little variation, thus Star Tours.

Dixiecat -

I haven't heard if our cruise will have the alternate itinerary, but I am already looking for options, just in case. I hate to be unprepared. We will only do this excursion if we get the longer day in Belize.

Chalker Guy - I didn't think about transportation costs - thanks for explaining! I am new to booking excursions outside of the ship. Hopefully I will do an okay job. I would hate to miss the ship or book with a bad company or something.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I too am looking for an alternative tour in order to do Shark Ray Alley. I just looked at the Ecological Tours website and there is no mention of pick up locations, pick up times etc. Kinda scary...lol

Any other recommendations other then Star Tours???

Archived