Formal Wear

JM034512

On 3/31/2019 at 2:06 PM, JM034512 said:

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time in December (our honeymoon). We will ne cruising on the Carnival Magic to the Caribbean.

My question is how does everyone travel with thier formal wear. How do you keep it from wrinkling during travel?

Since thier is no irons allowed how do you get wrinkles out of your clothes?

Hi JM034512 ☺️

For our formal wear my wife & I use a garment suitcase for dresses/gowns, suit & dress shirts. Over the years we've been able to keep things wrinkle free by placing each piece of clothing in its own seperate clear bag from the dry cleaners.

Each dress shirt, dress pants, pressed & placed in its own bag. Each dress, gown, in its own bag. Those plastic bags from the cleaners rub well together when packed in a garment bag. No wrinkles. 

Having said that, if you need access to an iron onboard Carnival Magic, I'll drop that info below for you. Have a wonderful voyage!

There are 11 irons available on Carnival Magic located @:

8656ce92-4b54-45b3-b510-3aa71a52527a-ori

🌴

Edited by PortSideCruzan

10 hours ago, Steve551 said:

I wear a button down shirt, dress slacks, loafers, and a jacket for "gala night" on HAL. But others don't dress that "formal". I do not wear the jacket for CCL, RCL, Princess, NCL, or Celebrity.

Interesting about the ships you don't where a jacket on.  I would have thought Celebrity for sure.  

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

Interesting about the ships you don't where a jacket on.  I would have thought Celebrity for sure.  

I think we're approaching the 'no jacket' threshold on many lines.  Even some of the higher end lines have gone 'dressy casual'.  Windstar has done that for sure.  A nice pair of slacks and a Tommy Bahama is the standard dinner fare essentially every night.  Pretty sure shorts are never allowed if I recall.  But everyone always looks quite nice.  Wonderful way to cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi JM034512 ☺️

For our formal wear my wife & I use a garment suitcase for dresses/gowns, suit & dress shirts. Over the years we've been able to keep things wrinkle free by placing each piece of clothing in its own seperate clear bag from the dry cleaners.

Each dress shirt, dress pants, pressed & placed in its own bag. Each dress, gown, in its own bag. Those plastic bags from the cleaners rub well together when packed in a garment bag. No wrinkles. 

We do the same thing!! When used separately, the dry cleaners plastic clothing bags keep everything wrinkle free.

👍

We DO bring formal wear - for the entire family. We dress up some every night and much more on elegant/formal night. My husband & now grown son wear suits/ties on elegant night. The other nights they wear dress pants or kahki's with collared golf shirts or shirts & ties. My college daughter & I wear blingy things from Dress Barn and/or Dillard's. Things like dresses, dress capris with matching tops, etc and on formal night we wear blingy cocktail type dresses.   We leave our nice things in the plastic bag they put them in over the hanger when you buy them. Accordian fold bag & all into your suitcase & they don't wrinkle. I leave those hanging wear we won't forget them along with suit jackets until we're ready to walk out the door to the airport then pack them. Unpack & hang in the hotel & repack for the trip to the port. It works pretty well.

On 4/2/2019 at 5:34 AM, JaniceB said:

The last couple of years (3 cruises) I stopped wearing a jacket on Celebrity. No issues.

I always wear a long evening dress/gown and hubby wears a suit on elegant nights. Wrap in plastic or in a garment bag. Dressing up is one on my favorite parts of cruising. It brings up images of more sophisticated and refined times. It makes it special.