Rent a car in Antigua?

I tried posting this under that “Antigua port of call”  board, but had no response so I thought I would try here. We will be in Antigua this August for the day and it seems there are so many beautiful beaches.  ( we are beach lovers ).  Is it worth it to rent a car so we can visit some of these beaches on our own? Is it safe to drive on our own? Would love some feedback on anyone that has done this. Thanks so much ! 

• Clarea changed the title to Rent a car in Antigua?

I use the public bus system to get to beaches in Antigua. Driving in Antigua is not for the faint of heart. Bad roads, driving on the opposite side, daredevil passing, cars parked in the road on one lane roads (everywhere). Not a joy ride.

The public bus station (more like a large van) was a short walk from the cruise terminal.  It was very inexpensive, and dropped us off at Darkwood Beach.  I think the most enjoyable part of the ride was singing along with the local passengers to a classic country music CD during the drive.  I'm not sure why that was the musical selection, but the locals on the van seemed to know every word to every song.  Very fun memory of Antigua.