Labadee Excursions

meyer4two

Has anyone ever been to Labadee? Our cruise stops there in April & I'm not sure if you can walk to a beach or should you sign up for an excursion. How accessible is the island for doing different things such as shopping or swimming on a beach. Any comments would be appreciated.

I've been there twice on RCI's Voyager. It is one of RCI's private islands, although Labadee is actually a peninsula on the coast of Haiti. It is very beautiful, with the mountains looming up over it. You will tender into the beach at Labadee. Your ship will provide food on Labadee. There is a small native market that will require cash - be aware that they can be very agressive. There is snorkeling (relaxing but not many fish), parasailing, waverunners, kayaks, and all are run by the cruiseline or you can just relax and swim at one of the beaches. It's a very easy and relaxing day. Unless you really know you want to do something there, don't bother booking an excursion in advance. Just go with the flow and see what you want to do once you get there.

Thank you very much for the information. We signed up for an excursion to a beach about 20 minute boat ride away and it sounds very expensive ($120.) for what you get, only a drink, no lunch, so I wondered if we could just walk to a beach & not spend that much money. I read on a website that Celebrity would supply lunch (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.) but don't think it was served on this excursion. The lunch was closer to where you tendered in from the ship. Wonder what makes this excursion so expensive.

But thanks for the info, we will probably end up cancelling the excursion & just doing our own thing like you suggested. Your information was very helpful.

Hi,

I just wanted to say that the beach on Labadee is one my favorite stops on the ship. All it is is a relaxing beach day. The market there as said is very aggressive and please if shopping there take small bills. Do not take any large cash amounts there. They cannot/will not make change. When you step off the tender you are on a path that will take you to the beach facing the lagoon the ship is sitting in or you can go and sit on the other side of the peninsula. All accessible by foot. You can rent beach equipment such as a ski doo as an excursion or do the water park. Other excursions are okay but if you just want to relax this is the place to do it! I loved it!:D :D :D

We have been there twice with RCI. Both times very relaxing day. You take the tender over and can easily walk to several beaches. Staff will provide you with a lounge and you can rent beach equipment if you choose. Both times we got noodles--I think for 10 bucks each for the day. People come around hawking the drink of the day. RCI did provide lunch both times--a buffet bar-b-que. It was ok. The shopping area is like a straw market and like mentioned above---very aggressive and nothing of value to purchase. I would avoid it on any future trips. I loved going here. The water was perfect and so relaxing and it can be a great inexpensive day!

Thank you very much for the information. We signed up for an excursion to a beach about 20 minute boat ride away and it sounds very expensive ($120.) for what you get, only a drink, no lunch, so I wondered if we could just walk to a beach & not spend that much money. I read on a website that Celebrity would supply lunch (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.) but don't think it was served on this excursion. The lunch was closer to where you tendered in from the ship. Wonder what makes this excursion so expensive.

But thanks for the info, we will probably end up cancelling the excursion & just doing our own thing like you suggested. Your information was very helpful.

It sounds like you signed up for the Malfini Beach excursion. The reason it is expensive is they take you by boat to a private beach. So instead of sharing the beach with the other passengers on your ship, you only have to share with the other people on your excursion. If the only reason for the excursion was because of the beach, then I would recommend cancelling. If you were wanting a truly private experience, then it might be worth it.

Thank you ALL for your information regarding the beach in Ladabee. Yes, it is the Malfini Beach Excursion we signed up for but after reading your comments, I will definitely cancel it & save the $120. All we wanted to do was sit on the beach & swim so the beaches near the ship are fine.

I probably won't shop either after reading your comments.

Thank you again for all your great information. Was very helpful!

Meyer

Just wanted to add my two cents, Labadee is very beautiful, if you have children migrate to the beach to the right of the path, if not head to the left, much quieter and very pretty. We were on RCL, lunch and chairs were provided, EVERYTHING else costs.

Agressive is to soft a word to describe the market, assault is more appropriate..... I consider myself quite self reliant and self assured but, I was totally intimidated. As another member put it, nothing there is worth having to tolerate the vendors.

Have a great trip. Islandersx4

thanks for your 'two cents'. Any comments are really appreciated since I have never been there.

I will DEFINITELY avoid the shopping. Doesn't sound like too much fun.

We will enjoy our cruise- 85 days and counting!!

Meyer

We were in Labadee last March, and the island was nice, but we heard that the Malfini excursion was excellent! It books up very fast. I agree that if all you want is a lounge chair on the beach, then you don't need to do the excursion, but those who have done it highly recommend it.

Also, there is a market area with local vendors and their handcrafted items. These vendors are every bit as aggressive as those at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios. Don't let your kids go through the marketplace alone with cash - they will be conned into spending way too much for an item.

Agree with most of the input, but the people who have done the Malfini excursion loved it. It books very fast, but the feedback we heard was that those who went highly recommended it and if we go back to Labadee will do it.

Agree that unless you have kids who want to hang out at the water park, bear to the left when you go onto the island. The more secluded beaches are beautiful. The snorkeling wasn;t great, but there is a sunken plane off the first beach you will come to if you head leaft off the ship. The life guards may yeall if you go out to the sunken plane - it's a bit out, but really the only significant thing we saw underwater.

Would pass on the jetskis unless you are a beginner. They make you go as a group and tour along the peninsula. You are not allowed to stray away from the group, and there are speed governors on the skis. They actually stop and some locals will come out to you and try to sell you their goods.

Also, there is a marketplace were locals sell their handcrafted items. These vendors are every bit as aggressive as those at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios. Don't let your kids go into the marketplace by themselves with cash so they will not be taken advantage of.

you don't need an excursion on Labradee- when you tender in-- go to the left on the island as far as you can go--forgot the name of the beach but its a five minute walk-- quieter-- with A GREAT VIEW-- WE ACTUALLY WERE ABLE TO SEE THE FULL ship out on the water and we were right near one of the bbq stations and a "bar" was really nearby for our daily rum punch--relaxing was great-- I wouldn't spend $120 on an excursion.

Archived