Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

57 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

This photo is circulating around social media.
📷 ?

The text in the posts:
Well I guess we know what the silhouette of Icon will be thanks to Super Mario getting his 10,000th Crown & Anchor point.

It looks very sleek!! Shorter nose by the looks of it aswell! Wonder which bit it the suite area

Edited by ljwiphone

Looking closely at the plans, Icon definitely has a split/open superstructure like Oasis-class. We already knew that. Unlike Oasis which has two open spaces (Central Park and Boardwalk), Icon appears to have one large opening running almost the entire length of the ship. How they will manage this structurally is going to be interesting. 

41FF1845-9473-4E3F-8AA9-D26797E42B0E.png

0638915C-93D1-4969-8233-D7BCF2983BBB.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Looking closely at the plans, Icon definitely has a split/open superstructure like Oasis-class. We already knew that. Unlike Oasis which has two open spaces (Central Park and Boardwalk), Icon appears to have one large opening running almost the entire length of the ship. How they will manage this structurally is going to be interesting. 

doesnt look look like one open superstructure

ED948BEB-48EC-4E81-8898-FF289089467F.jpeg

That video says "Premiering This Month August 2022".  So we do not have to wait until September? OMG this is going to be announced between Aug 21 & Aug 29 isn't it?  That will be my luck for sure... when I am stuck on the Mariner for 8 nights... the Mariner has horrible WiFi... UGH..  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

doesnt look look like one open superstructure

4 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Icon doesn't  have one large opening running almost the entire length of the ship. Elevator and stair atriums split it up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

That video says "Premiering This Month August 2022".  So we do not have to wait until September? OMG this is going to be announced between Aug 21 & Aug 29 isn't it?  That will be my luck for sure... when I am stuck on the Mariner for 8 nights... the Mariner has horrible WiFi... UGH..  

Oh I feel for you being "stuck" on Mariner for 8 nights  lol   I will be stuck at work . Hope you have a great cruise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, dalee21860 said:

Oh I feel for you being "stuck" on Mariner for 8 nights  lol   I will be stuck at work . Hope you have a great cruise 

LOL.. I hear ya and you're right. I have just been waiting the entire 6 years since it was announced to know more, just like others here. If it does happen, there will be plenty of information for me to enjoy when I get back. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Correct, the first episode will be premiering in August, they didn't give a date. If you'd prefer to be home, I'll happily take that 8 night cruise on Mariner off your hands so you can enjoy the premiere of the episode. 🤣 But seriously, enjoy your cruise, the episode will be waiting for you when you get back! 

One thing that always strikes me is that cruise ships need a huge amount of energy to run them and are mostly in hotter sunnier climates. But no solar panels, when the cruise industry wants to be more eco going forwards and reduce costs surely, they can add more to at least offset 'some' power requirements as there is quite a lot of space to put them on a ship the size of wonder. 

Not enough to power it, absolutely not but it seems a strange miss. I know its been put on some but surely this can and should be designed in as a key part of mitigation and customer vanity at least that the industry is doing more to be sustainable. 

4 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

One thing that always strikes me is that cruise ships need a huge amount of energy to run them and are mostly in hotter sunnier climates. But no solar panels, when the cruise industry wants to be more eco going forwards and reduce costs surely, they can add more to at least offset 'some' power requirements as there is quite a lot of space to put them on a ship the size of wonder. 

Not enough to power it, absolutely not but it seems a strange miss. I know its been put on some but surely this can and should be designed in as a key part of mitigation and customer vanity at least that the industry is doing more to be sustainable. 

I always thought that these were solar panels atop Oasis.

Oasis_Aerial_2-56a1ffa85f9b58b7d0c59191.JPG

Edited by Mikew0805

7 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I always thought that these were solar panels atop Oasis.

Oasis_Aerial_2-56a1ffa85f9b58b7d0c59191.JPG

Indeed I think they are and I think this is why I'm surprised it wasn't done more and included in the rest of the fleet and especially brand new ships. Any flat surface on the top or side of the ship away from the water could and really should be used. Its not as if solar is expensive for a $Bn build but can add 'some' free energy and reduce the environmental footprint if only a little. 

9 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

Indeed I think they are and I think this is why I'm surprised it wasn't done more and included in the rest of the fleet and especially brand new ships. Any flat surface on the top or side of the ship away from the water could and really should be used. Its not as if solar is expensive for a $Bn build but can add 'some' free energy and reduce the environmental footprint if only a little. 

When Oasis was Amped, they removed the solar panels.

Some reasons I think they were removed (and aren't planned for the future):

-The panels weren't very efficient after getting covered in salt.

-They improved energy efficiency in other areas such as hull paint and light bulbs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soremekun said:

-They improved energy efficiency in other areas such as hull paint and light bulbs.

The solar panels were more for "Green Washing" or "Virtue Signalling".

The most efficient solar panels produce somewhat less than 250 wats per square meter, so cover the entire footprint of the Oasis with solar panels (360M overall length X 60m max beam) yeilds 5.4 Mw of electricity (when the sun is shining).

The Oasis power plant provides 3x13.86Mw + 3x18.48Mw = 97Mw 24x7.  

So cover the entire exposed surface of the Oasis with the best solar panels in existance, and at best you can capture 6% of the ships production, but only while the sun is shining.  Better yet, the incidence of skin cancer for all the guests goes way down, because no will be sitting in the sun anymore.

Edited by gmerick
grammar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I think the first one is a lame reason, they can wash the windows 3 times a week giving some solar panels a wash is hardly hard work. 

Also newer solar panels can last longer and provide much more power per m2. I get the power generation for something that consumes as much as a small town is minimal but everything helps and the cruise industry is likely to get increase pressure on its environmental stance in more markets with the climate issues that are becoming an ever increasing issue. 

Says the person going on another cruise soon... ahem. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmerick said:

The most efficient solar panels produce somewhat less than 250 wats per square meter, so cover the entire footprint of the Oasis with solar panels (360M overall length X 60m max beam) yeilds 5.4 Mw of electricity (when the sun is shining).

I get that but every little helps doing nothing isn't the answer. Newer solar panels can easily get 400watts these days that's old info but I get the point. Anyway back to the exciting Icon news likely to come soon.

21 minutes ago, gmerick said:

So cover the entire exposed surface of the Oasis with the best solar panels in existance, and at best you can capture 6% of the ships production, but only while the sun is shining.  Better yet, the incidence of skin cancer for all the guests goes way down, because no will be sitting in the sun anymore.

Do you realize, that usable roof on Oasis class ship is not 360x60m, but maybe 5% of it? Just look at picture. Or do you want remove entire sun deck and cover it with solar panels? 😄 😄 😄
Jesus green eco terorist...

58 minutes ago, tomas.malo said:

Do you realize, that usable roof on Oasis class ship is not 360x60m, but maybe 5% of it? Just look at picture. Or do you want remove entire sun deck and cover it with solar panels?

Oh!  You caught that!  There were 21000 sq ft of solar panels on the Oasis = about 2000 (somewhat less than) 500 watt (2 sq m) panels.  So a max of maybe 1% of ships power when the sun is shining.