Help Selecting Excursion in Mykonos

taylortime05

Hi,

I am comparing 2 excursion thru Celebrity on Mykonos listed below.  Usually our excursions are private excursions with others from our roll call.  And I know many say that some of these ports such as Mykonos and Santorini can be done without an excursion.  Since it's our first time to Europe I prefer to have planned excursions.  On a 2nd visit I'd be more likely to do my own touring.  For the 2 tender ports of Mykonos and Santorini I'm choosing the ship's excursions to get us started earlier and in Santorini to avoid the cable cars.  

So I'm comparing 2 excursions thru Celebrity.  Please let me know if you have done either of these excursions and if you enjoyed them.  The 1st excursion is lot longer for 35 more PP and includes lunch and a show.  But it will use up all of our time in the port so we will not have any time left to tour on our own.   

Celebrity Discovery Collection: Best of Mykonos - 8 hours 15 min - 135 PP

•  At the pier in Mykonos, board a local ferry for the trip to the breathtaking island of Delos. Located at the center of the Cyclades Islands, Delos was perfectly positioned to become an important trade center in the Mediterranean. Once a hub of activity and considered one of Greece's most sacred places, today the island is uninhabited. According to Greek mythology, Apollo, son of Zeus and Leto, was born here. In the early 19th century, artifacts, mosaics, statues, and buildings were uncovered during a historic excavation. Visit Ano Mera at the center of the island, home to the venerable Panagia Tourliani Monastery, circa 1542. Admire its whitewashed exterior and impressive dome. After a full morning of touring, relax over lunch, a variety of salads (cheese and hot peppers, fava beans, eggplant and Greek) and of meats (pork and chicken souvlaki, lamb intestines-kokoretsi, meatballs), served with baby potatoes, bread, and seasonal fruits. Sip wine as you watch a folkloric show. Return to Mykonos, a picturesque town of winding lanes, alabaster houses built in Cycladic style, and red-roofed churches. Taste an iconic almond cookie accompanied by mastic liqueur, then continue sightseeing on your own or return to the ship by shuttle.

Ancient Delos - 3 hours 30 min - 99 PP

• Board the boat of a local captain and skid across calm waters to the uninhabited island of Delos. On this stark and lonely landscape, discover the ruins of an ancient settlement that once bustled with the sounds of trade and commerce. Legend has it this was the birthplace of Apollo, son of Zeus. Hear the tale while standing before the remnants of the Great Temple of Apollo. Pass through the classical Theater, where over 5,000 citizens once cheered epic performances. Marvel at Hellenistic mansions adorned with elaborate mosaics crafted thousands of years ago. Look out upon the greens and blues of the archipelago from the Terrace of the Foreign Gods and visit the lost Sacred Lake, where it’s said the swans and geese of Apollo once frolicked. Time on Delos is forever frozen and this tour offers the rare opportunity to literally stroll in the footsteps of the ancients.

Thanks!

On 4/28/2019 at 1:18 AM, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

I am comparing 2 excursion thru Celebrity on Mykonos listed below.  Usually our excursions are private excursions with others from our roll call.  And I know many say that some of these ports such as Mykonos and Santorini can be done without an excursion.  Since it's our first time to Europe I prefer to have planned excursions.  On a 2nd visit I'd be more likely to do my own touring.  For the 2 tender ports of Mykonos and Santorini I'm choosing the ship's excursions to get us started earlier and in Santorini to avoid the cable cars.  

So I'm comparing 2 excursions thru Celebrity.  Please let me know if you have done either of these excursions and if you enjoyed them.  The 1st excursion is lot longer for 35 more PP and includes lunch and a show.  But it will use up all of our time in the port so we will not have any time left to tour on our own.   

Celebrity Discovery Collection: Best of Mykonos - 8 hours 15 min - 135 PP

•  At the pier in Mykonos, board a local ferry for the trip to the breathtaking island of Delos. Located at the center of the Cyclades Islands, Delos was perfectly positioned to become an important trade center in the Mediterranean. Once a hub of activity and considered one of Greece's most sacred places, today the island is uninhabited. According to Greek mythology, Apollo, son of Zeus and Leto, was born here. In the early 19th century, artifacts, mosaics, statues, and buildings were uncovered during a historic excavation. Visit Ano Mera at the center of the island, home to the venerable Panagia Tourliani Monastery, circa 1542. Admire its whitewashed exterior and impressive dome. After a full morning of touring, relax over lunch, a variety of salads (cheese and hot peppers, fava beans, eggplant and Greek) and of meats (pork and chicken souvlaki, lamb intestines-kokoretsi, meatballs), served with baby potatoes, bread, and seasonal fruits. Sip wine as you watch a folkloric show. Return to Mykonos, a picturesque town of winding lanes, alabaster houses built in Cycladic style, and red-roofed churches. Taste an iconic almond cookie accompanied by mastic liqueur, then continue sightseeing on your own or return to the ship by shuttle.

Ancient Delos - 3 hours 30 min - 99 PP

• Board the boat of a local captain and skid across calm waters to the uninhabited island of Delos. On this stark and lonely landscape, discover the ruins of an ancient settlement that once bustled with the sounds of trade and commerce. Legend has it this was the birthplace of Apollo, son of Zeus. Hear the tale while standing before the remnants of the Great Temple of Apollo. Pass through the classical Theater, where over 5,000 citizens once cheered epic performances. Marvel at Hellenistic mansions adorned with elaborate mosaics crafted thousands of years ago. Look out upon the greens and blues of the archipelago from the Terrace of the Foreign Gods and visit the lost Sacred Lake, where it’s said the swans and geese of Apollo once frolicked. Time on Delos is forever frozen and this tour offers the rare opportunity to literally stroll in the footsteps of the ancients.

Thanks!

Hi are you set on going to delis? If not what other excursion options are they offering? I did a scenic tour through ncl that stopped at that town with the monastery and a few photo stops along coast/beach. Ot was around 3 hours or so. It gave us plenty of time to enjoy mykonos town have lunch and explore on our own after the tour. I felt like it was a good mix.