Tips on Shows

We are on Anthem in July 2019.  I am hoping to get some tips on how to manage the shows on board.  I am talking about the larger shows . I do understand that for some shows you need to reserve in your cruise planner or on the ship.  But, I've never bothered with the shows before so I have some questions:

1.  The shows are not currently showing up in my Cruise Planner.  Is that likely because they have never showed up there yet and will within 30-60 days of the sailing or is it likely that they did show up but everyone has reserved already?  I've been checking regularly for many months now.

2.  If I do get a reservation, I believe they are all general seating based on a first come first serve basis.  How early should we arrive at a show?  15 mins ahead?  30 mins ahead?

3.  I recently read a posting about some seat saving going on.  If we arrive early enough and sit in some seats are people really coming up and saying that the seats were saved for other people?

4.  Can we bring drinks into the shows (in the theater)?

Keep watching your Cruise Planner, shows may still show up.

If you have a party of two, then 15-20 minutes before the show should be fine.  Larger parties need to show up sooner.

You can bring drinks into the shows.

For my Anthem sailing, show reservations showed up about 85-90 days out.  As a rule of thumb, I usually show up about 20-30 minutes before a show, however we are never a really large party.  And drinks are allowed, as many of the shows have wait staff serving drinks!

Thanks for the info.  If it doesn't show up in the planner then on boarding day I would just use the App to book then, right?  Or is there another option that is better, especially if we manage to board nice and early?

2 minutes ago, fscool said:

Thanks for the info.  If it doesn't show up in the planner then on boarding day I would just use the App to book then, right?  Or is there another option that is better, especially if we manage to board nice and early?

If the app does not work when you board, there is normally a "box office" on the Royal Promenade or Studio B where you can make reservations.  The location of the box office will be listed in the boarding letter you get at check-in.

One other tip, once the shows are available to book, is to book Spectras Caberet show (in 270 lounge) earlier in your cruise as sometimes it gets cancelled or stopped mid show due to rough seas. Because of the arial acts and more complex staging features it can't  be performed safely during those conditions. You can attend it later in the cruise if need be.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, fscool said:

1.  The shows are not currently showing up in my Cruise Planner.  Is that likely because they have never showed up there yet and will within 30-60 days of the sailing or is it likely that they did show up but everyone has reserved already?  I've been checking regularly for many months now. Ours showed up right around the 45 day mark but I checked each day from around 90 days out just to be safe. 

2.  If I do get a reservation, I believe they are all general seating based on a first come first serve basis.  How early should we arrive at a show?  15 mins ahead?  30 mins ahead? We just got off Symphony today and for the theater shows we arrived 30 minutes in advance and got great seats for both shows, the ice skating show was pretty picked over at the 30 minute mark, and getting good seats for the Aquatheater show was nearly impossible for even just the 2 of us and we got there around 30 minutes in advance. I'm not sure if it's always like that, but we'll do 45 minutes beforehand next time so we have a better selection. 

3.  I recently read a posting about some seat saving going on.  If we arrive early enough and sit in some seats are people really coming up and saying that the seats were saved for other people? There was a lot of seat saving at all of our shows but it was usually like one or two people sitting and then saving another 4 so you didn't get the opportunity to even sit in their "saved" seats. 

4.  Can we bring drinks into the shows (in the theater)? Yes, definitely! There are also waiters coming around before the show asking if you'd like drinks too and bringing them to you.