QM2 question about "smokey" cabins

jtimmer

We are booked on the June 9th crossing from NYC to Southampton on the QM2 and I am reading some reviews about cabins reeking of cigarette smoke. This would be a major problem if true. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have two Q5 suites booked (Queen's Grille).

We have only ever encountered this once on QE2. The cabin reeked of smoke and no way would we have endured that for one night. Went to the purser who contacted the deck houskeeper. She arranged to have the cabin de smoked using a (deioniser?) they have for the purpose.

At Queens Grill prices there is no way you will have to put up with that.

David.

We had a similar problem on the QE2. Not from our own cabin but from the adjoining cabin which had a locked door between us and it. Apparently the occupants were chain smokers and the smoke used to pour in under the door. We finished up having to stuff a towel under the door for the whole 31 day voyage to keep it under control.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

I am on the june ninth crossing too.

I am booked reserved B5 with a frequent cruiser starboard only upgrade requested.

I had a Queens Grill suite the last time I was on the QM2. No problem with any smell of smoke in the suite.

I talked to Cunard two weeks ago about my wanting non smoking. They said they would try but have had some sad experiences about people claiming they dont smoke when they actually do smoke.

I talked to Princess two years ago about my desire for clean air. They indicated Princess gave up. Cant seem to control where the smoke goes on a ship.

I am booked for my next six cruises gauranteed or reserved verandahs. I figure I can open the verandah door if I get smoke in the cabin.

BTW, had a discussion about smoking with Carnival. Carnival had a totally non smoking ship but it attracted a lot of non gamblers and non drinkers and Carnival couldnt make any money and converted it to a smoking ship. Carnival then seemed to cater to smokers advertising cruises out of New York City as a respite from New York City's non smoking laws.

My last cruise, aboard the Celebrity Constellation, some people smoked in public areas clearly labeled as non smoking.

One time I was on The Regal Princess, it hit an ice berg, and people, including the captain who had quit smoking, smoked a great deal after that. Unfortunately, I had an enclosed cabin for that cruise, and spent much of the time I should have been sleeping wandering about outside.

I think that is enuf for my smoking tales.

On our recent January 3 trip aboard QM2 the passengers in the cabin next door complained about the stench of cigarette smoke in their stateroom. Within half an hour the stewardess steam cleaned their carpet. This all happened on the embarkation day, which is hectic enough, but, the matter was dealt with swiftly.

Jonathan

Archived