Roll Call May 17th- Southampton to New York

Wendell

We start our trip on April 12th, flying up to Kirkwall for 4 days of SCUBA diving the WWI wrecks in Scapa Flow, then down to London for a few days, pausing in Portsmouth to visit the Royal Navy and Royal Marines museums, then across the channel via ferry to Caen, tour D Day beaches (I want to see Pont du Hoc, where my Uncle Frank's Ranger Unit climbed the cliff) then off on a night train to Berlin, a day in Berlin, then a whirlwind tour of Prague, Vienna, Venice, Munich, Leonberg (for the German national Leonberger dog show,) 2 days in Translvania, a day of bicycling around Neuschwanstein, 2 days in Pompeii/Herculaneum, 3 days in Rome, a night train to Martigny Switzerland, cross-country skiing up to Grand Saint Bernard Pass (and the Saint Bernard Hospice), then skiing down to Aosta and a night train to Paris. 3 days in Paris, culminating in dinner at Restaurant Jules Verne and the next morning we Chunnel to London, pick up all our baggage, then head off to Southampton to board QM2.

We're recreating a "post-collegiate EurailPass/Backpack tour of Europe" with a few added luxuries.

Wendell

I'm doing Europe for the first time in March/April and thought it might be fun to sail back on this trip, if I can catch a last-minute deal. I think I ought to wait a month before hunting for bargains, though -- what do you think?

Thanks for reminding me about the Jules Verne resuarant -- I ought to go see if I can get a reservation.

• 1 month later...

First time cruisers here. I've been browsing this board for information and have picked up a lot of good tips.

I'm taking my mother on a one week tour of Ireland, then my sister and brother-in-law are joining us for a few days in London and Paris. We are sailing home on the May 17, 2006 Queen Mary 2 voyage.

My son was a marine killed almost 3 years ago at the start of the Iraq war and this trip is a small token of my gratitude for the tremedous support those 3 have given me. James was only 18 and I truly don't know what I would have done without them.

That being said I really want this trip to be special for them and something they will always remember.

Our cabins are on deck 5 in a B3 "hull balcony". My travel agent really couldn't explain what this was. I've read a few comments on here both good and bad about that type of cabin. I get the impression they are more private. If this is the case then that would be good.

Also my brother-in law and I are both prone to seasickness and I've read the higher decks have a "sway" so I picked deck 5. Not ever having been on a cruise before I find it odd that you would be able to feel movement on a ship that big.

I have a lot more questions but I realize this is a rather long post. I appreciate any help anyone would be kind enough to offer.

Thanks!

Please post your roll calls on the roll call page, where your fellow passengers can access it:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/index.cfm?Ship=294

But yes, restaurant Jules Verne on the second stage of the Tour Eiffel is a marvellous venue for lunch. It's always booked up at weekends, so you might get more joy if you ask the concierge at your hotel to book for you.

ditto to the last poster. It is way too hard to find a roll call post buried in the thousands of pages and messages here.

When you get to the roll call page, you will need the link back to your roll call. Go here to start your rollcall>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Then COPY the link to your SPECIFIC roll call so that you can post it when you set yourself up at this link :

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/entry.cfm?Ship=294

You will notice lots of folks signed up, but few have provided links to their roll call.

gary/carla- are roll calls a way of finding other people who will be on your cruise? I'm sure this is a simple question but I'm new and I really would like to find others who will be on the same cruise. I signed up on the roll call page with the link you provided but am clueless as to how I can link to it so others can post.

Any guidance will be most appreciated!

Few ideas here"

First, when you "sign" up for the roll call, you must already have a link to an existing roll call message thread. If you are visiting an already existing message thread, you can always COPY the address from the top of your browser.

It will look something like this :http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=246016 The only difference is the number at the very end. You will need this BEFORE you register. There will be a place that asks for you to paste the URL (link).

If you have already registered at this site I do not know any way to get back and EDIT your entry. Maybe you can do another one, but this time be READY to link to the thread about your cruise.

Finding an existing message thread is difficult, other than through these links. You have to keep scrolling and scrolling through old messages. Good luck.

And YES - this is a way to find others going on your cruise. But, they need a way to find you, and of course they have to be looking.

• 1 month later...

ThankYouJames, we (Jane and Mike from near Lafayette, IN) are also going B2B; first on the Constellation and then return on the QM2 5/17 crossing. These will be our first cruise experiences. Our daughter and son-in-law live in Wiltshire and we're travelling around southern England with them for several weeks. Hope to meet you at the huge Connie rollcall 4/28. That group is going to need a lot of designated drivers from the martini comments. ;>)

ThankYouJames, we (Jane and Mike from near Lafayette, IN) are also going B2B; first on the Constellation and then return on the QM2 5/17 crossing. These will be our first cruise experiences. Our daughter and son-in-law live in Wiltshire and we're travelling around southern England with them for several weeks. Hope to meet you at the huge Connie rollcall 4/28. That group is going to need a lot of designated drivers from the martini comments. ;>)

Wow! How about that. My mother and I are going to tour Ireland for a week after the Connie crossing, then my sister and brother-in-law are flying over to meet us, then it's on to Paris and then the Queen Mary 2.

That 4/28 rollcall bunch seems like a lot of fun! I chose that cruise only as a way to get to Europe because I don't fly and it just may be the most fun part of the trip!

Archived