Casual Restaurants?

workn2cruise

We're doing a stingray excursion on our cruise 4/29 and want to go to a Cayman restaurant that is somewhat casual since we'll be in shorts afterwards and probably a little salty :) . I've searched for restaurants, but haven't come up with any specific recommendations. We'd like to go local rather than chain (Hardrock)

Thanks!

We loved Coconut Joe's, but it's down near the Marriott.

While in GC, we ate a Breezes several times, and really enjoyed it. It's right across from the port area in a building that says "Landmark" on the top. Breezes is on the second and third floors. They have a small balcony which is fun. You can eat and enjoy watching things going on in the town/port area. They also have a bar menu (which they don't give you unless you ask). It just gives you a little more to choose from.

We also ate at Rackham's and loved it. It's a short walk to the port from there. It's next to the water, so you'll have a great view of the ships/port area.

We wanted to try Hammerhead's, but we could never find a parking spot there. It's a little further down that Rackham's, I think.

We also ate at the Hard Rock. It was okay, but if I only had a day there, I wouldn't eat there. I'd try one of the more "local" places. The Hard Rock was also expensive.

While we were there, I picked up a menu guide. If you are interested in what some of these places have on their menus and the prices, let me know. I have it around here somewhere.

If you're looking for "local fare" and not merely a tourist-laden non-chain restaurant, there are a few options to try.

Corita's Copper Kettle is a couple blocks off the waterfront, very near teh bus depot and old library building. It's a local favorite serving island fare to the professionals working in all the offices downtown.

Champion House II is a little further away, on Eastern Avenue near the south end of that street.

There are a couple of small jerk places on Shedden Road that primarily cater to the residents.

If you're along Seven Mile Beach, stop into Chicken!Chicken! in West Shore Centre for a quick and excellent meal.

how is the restaurant at eden's rock,,,is there a menu anywhere?

thanks, wendy

Is that the Paradise Restaurant? We didn't go there, but I remember seeing it.

The restaurants that I have menus for are...

7 Mile Beach area

Aqua Beach

Cafe Mediterraneo

Bacchus

Bayside Cafe

Bed Restaurant

Breezes by the Bay (another favorite)

Champion House

Cimboco

Chicken! Chicken!

Coconut Joe's (our favorite)

Edoardo's

Full of Beans

Gateway to India

H.D. Morgan's

Hard Rock Cafe

Hemmingway's

Lone Star (we ate there, and it was good)

McCoy's

Mezza

Ragazzi

Stingers

Thai Orchard

Triple Crown

South Zone

Castaway's Grille

Davie Jones Locker

Dragon Garden

West Bay Zone

Neptunes

Pappagallo

Taste of China

I will say that all the places we ate at had more or less, the same type of menus (even Rackham's, which I don't have the menu for). We were looking for a bar type place like an Applebee's or something like that. A place with appetizers, salads, burgers, and local things.

We always had conch fritters (twice a day, no matter where we were). We like the CF's at Coconut Joe's the best, but everywhere else they were good. We had one brave soul with us who always ate something "jerk." He always, if possible, ordered his meal with the jerk on the side. Sometimes it was possible and sometimes it wasn't.

We also had crab cakes, wraps, burgers, lots of chicken-be it wrapped, on a bun, or in a salad. We didn't have a bad meal. We did however eat a lot of Mylanta tablets!

We ate breakfast several times at Coconut Joe's. It was really good. They have a hash brown like I've never had before. It was different and good.

But as far as scenery...we loved sitting on the outside deck, on the second floor, of Breezes. It was neat watching the sun set, and the ships sail. They also have pretty good food.

We thought we'd try a more upscale restaurant, but our kids really liked the "bar" type places. Which was fine with us. We never had a meal that was under $200 (except breakfast). There were five of us, and it always seemed to be around $200-$225 or so for 5 drinks, a couple of appetizers, and 5 entries. I don't think anyone ordered anything fancy or terribly expensive.

My favorite thing (food) was cookies I found at a Kirk's grocery store. They were chocolate chip, with truffles inside. I missed the truffle part when I picked them up, but when we bit into the things...OH MY. They were amazing. I also found some Bulla (I think) cookies. They were a spice cookie...nice and soft and good.

It's no wonder we all gained weight on this trip!!!! But it was wonderful and I can't wait to return! :)

I don't think this is the entire menu, but I could be wrong. This was from a delivery service. I found this in our condo. Just remember these prices are Cayman. It's 20% more for US dollars. I don't remember for sure if they added the tip on the ticket or not, so you might double check your bill. We loved the food, and the atmosphere. The balcony is also a place to take great photos of the port area. This makes me hungry...and want to return to GC!!!!!

The bar menu isn't listed, but I remember they offered the following...

Coconut Shrimp (without the rice & peas, shoestring veggies and cornbread-it was $9.95, I believe. With the above items is on the regular menu).

Three small cheeseburgers (I think this came with fries.)

Crab cakes

Chicken Fingers

And a few other things, but I don't remember exactly. The bar menu had smaller portions or fewer side items on the menu. More sandwich/snack type things.

Regular Menu

Mango Greens...$8.25

Big Caesar with bacon 'n' garlic toast...$8.25

Cayman style conch Fritters & spicy Island dipping sauce...$6.25

Half pound, Peel 'n' Eat Shrimp! steamed in "Breezes Brew"...$10.95

Crispy Calamari "Misto" with Cho Cho & Pumpkin...$8.25

Curried Caribbean Samosas with yogurt "Raita" (mild) & firecracker jelly (hot)for dipping....$7.95

Classic Caribbean Crab Cakes...$9.25

House smoked Caribbean BBQ Ribs...$8.25

Cayman Conch Chowder bread Bowl with Bacon Crumbles...$6.25

Fresh Mussels! Kettle-cooked, three kinda way! *Creamy white & White wine*

*Mild Marinara Red* or *Lemon, Saffron & Thyme*...$9.95

Whole Fish Escovitch-Caribbean Yellowtail snapper, Island-style...$16.95

Juicy Jerk Glazed Pork Chop with mango chutney & mash...$15.95 (my middle son had this twice, he said it was really good)

Traditional, delicious West Indian Curry Chicken & Shrimp (mild, Island style) served with white rice * a pappadom crisp!...$13.95

Breezes' Kettle-Cooked Tropical Seafood Stew!-our signature spicy hot, "Fish Tea" with plenty of fish, shellfish & and good things. Real Hot...$11.95

10 oz. grilled sirloin o' beef with jerk butter & mash...$16.95

Today's Still Floppin' Fish-grilled-tomato & sweet pepper sauce, rice & peas, and veggie...$15.75

Red Stripe Dinner Plate-jerk chicken & ribs, rice & peas...$13.95

Tuna Melt-fresh grilled tuna steak "BLT" sandwich with jalapeno jack cheese & slaw...$10.50

Grilled sirloin steak & cheese sandwich...$11.95

Jerk chicken sandwich on "freshly baked bread" with cheese & slaw...$8.95

Rasta Pasta Breezes' jerk chicken & island veggies with our creamy three-cheese sauce tossed with seashell pasta...$11.95

Coconut Shrimp with rum/honey dipping sauce, Island-style rice & peas, veggies, and cornbread....$13.75

Archived