Has liquor ever been confiscated while boarding?

CruisingFamily4

Yep. My tablemates on a recent cruise said they were called back down to the checked luggage area. They were asked to unlock their luggage, and their three bottles of vodka were confiscated. They were told to pick them up the morning of debarkation.

Another time, I saw a bottle of scotch being taken from someone's carry-on bag.

It definitely happens!

I had a bottle of Baileys confiscated once. I had it in my carry on luggage and they made me remove it. I was planning on ordering coffee from room service and enjoying Baileys and coffee drinks out on my balcony. They told me I could have it back at the end of the cruise.

well i will have to admit that we carried on alcohol on board twice.. we make our own drink called "Sex on the beach" and it is red in color.. so we pour it into two hawiaan punch bottles and put them in our small cooler.. they even opened our cooler and took out a bottle and looked at it and put it back in and zipped up the cooler and handed it to us and we boarded.

Just off the Liberty and I was told by security to put it in your checked bags. The reason I had this conversation was I had my carry-on checked because I had a metal flask in it (empty). The security guard just laughed and said everyone knows to put it in their checked bags. I just laughed and said you mean you can do that and smiled. I had a bottle in each bag I checked.

I checked a soft sided rolling cooler filled with beer in Jan 05. I bubble wrapped each bottle. A few still got broken but not a problem. I put a luggage strap around it and than zip locked it. Cabin steward kept it filled with ice all week with a good tip when we first met him.

There is a story floating around on here somewhere about a guy who despite the advice of his friends loaded a suitcase with nothing but booze and sent it with the rest of his checked luggage.

The guy was called to the pursers office, where they had his suitcase and was told he couldn't bring it onboard. As our intrepid booze smuggler parked at the port, and it was some time before sailaway, he decided to take the suitcase back to his car.

On his way out, he came across a porter who asked him what he was doing. After explaining the situation to the porter, the porter said to leave the suitcase with him and he would sneak it back on board for him. The guy thought this was a great idea and left the suitcase with the porter.

The guy never saw the suitcase again.

You should be okay. I think the odds are in your favor of getting your liquor confiscated. We smuggled glass bottles of liquor in their original container wrapped heavily in clothing in our checked luggage. We were fine.

you say the odds are high that they will take it but that i should be fine , that would be horrible.

That story was tooooo funny!!! That is something that would happen to me. I was walking by Ross's at the mall today and saw these long round tubes, for wine. $2.99/each, and who knows it may work. Usually wrapp 4 to 8 bottles of wine in beach towels,(2 to a towel), and it has worked so far. And rum in the water bottles, Kaluha in ice tea bottles. And always on the check in luggage. I can order special of the day till it gets to my cabin. I still end up with sizable bar bill, but I'm not driving!!!!

It varies from ship to ship and line to line. On NCL I heard the annoucement of about 30 cabin numbers that needed to pick their luggage up in the boardroom. I went down knowing it had to be the liquor issue and sure enough they had their checked bags on the table with the bottles in front of them. I'd say to took them until last day. Stick with the clears in water bottles.

We packed 2 bottles of booze wrapped in bubble pack in our luggage. We also packed a 50 can roller ice chest with a luggage tag on it. Put beer on bottom a layer of soda then a layer of water. The ice chest was the first piece of luggage delivered to our cabin!!! No problem at all. And yes our booze bill was still HIGH!!! :)

Well......there is always the old Listerine bottle trick.....! Put it inside a couple baggies to be safe from leaks.

Just could not stand taking the chance of having a glass bottle break in the luggage.....could you imagine your clothes.

I don't think beer is a big problem. I brought a 12 pack (for a friend) in a rolling carry on bag and no one stopped us.

Just off Victory. In a rolling cooler & checked luggage, I've just set a new Carnival Cruise Line record for smuggling & they knowingly helped. There is a policy of no smuggling & then there is reality & no I wasn't the exception or just lucky.

Overweight & finally sober

Snoopy

Never in my checked luggage. But on the Legend in 03 tried to get it in in my carry on. Got cought. Put it in soda bottles or water bottles in your carry on. Then you can start to party right away.

OOOOOh, I like your way of thinking Fireofficer ;)

Well......there is always the old Listerine bottle trick.....! Put it inside a couple baggies to be safe from leaks.

Just could not stand taking the chance of having a glass bottle break in the luggage.....could you imagine your clothes.

I don't think beer is a big problem. I brought a 12 pack (for a friend) in a rolling carry on bag and no one stopped us.

YOU are a genius!!!! Listerine bottles!!! :D

Archived