Ramada Beach Plaza FLL Questions

Meishie

After being almost positive that I was purchasing the Sheraton Yankee Clipper from Hotwire, I got stuck with the Ramada Beach Plaza. When I try to Mapquest driving directions from the hotel to the port to judge the time and distance from hotel to pier, it doesn't work (the address of the hotel isn't recognized)

Can anyone tell me (1) how far the hotel is from the airport - distance, approximate taxi fare, and travel time (2) how far the hotel is from the pier - distance, approx. taxi fare, and travel time

Also, if anyone has any info about the hotel and nearby food or shopping or anything, please feel free to share! Thanks in advance!

Yikes... Yet another reason why you should NEVER go with anything less than 4-stars on Priceline or Hotwire. It's a tired old place in an area surrounded by condos, much much farther to the north than you want to be. There's a Winn-Dixie and a few restaurants a couple of blocks south, but not a whole lot else.

It's a good 30 minutes north of the airport/Port Everglades area with normal traffic, longer during "rush hour".

Rent a small car, it will cost far less than the cab fare up and back, plus you'll be able to use the car to go to dinner, shopping, etc.

Can anyone tell me (1) how far the hotel is from the airport - distance, approximate taxi fare, and travel time

10.3 miles, travel time 25-30 minutes, taxi's are metered, my guess $25 +

(2) how far the hotel is from the pier - distance, approx. taxi fare, and travel time

8.1 miles, travel time 20 minutes, taxi's are metered unsure of fare - my guess would be over $20

Highly suggest renting a car at the airport, more economical and a few even offer free shuttle service to the port. ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4060+Galt+Ocean+Dr,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33308&daddr=1850+Eller+Drive,+ft+lauderdale,+fl&f=li&dq=4060+Galt+Ocean+Drive+-+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33308&cid=

Ugh, so the money I saved by "Hotwiring" my room will have to be put into renting a car. Not too bad, but seriously, not what I was looking to do. Priceline wasn't hitting, and Hotwire's 3* was $60 less than a 4* so I decided to risk it.

Thank you for the advice, and thank you for the Google directions. What is the end drive - the 1850 Eller Drive address? The pier?

Thank you for the advice, and thank you for the Google directions. What is the end drive - the 1850 Eller Drive address? The pier?

Meishie, actually it's the ports administrative offices address, without knowing which terminal you were leaving from I used the most central location in the port.

The car rental should be less a lot then what you'd pay for taxis. Besides, having a car you can really checkout the greater Ft Lauderdale area if you have time.

Don't fret the hotel. Sounds like you saved more then enough to cover the car rental. ;)

I called Budget and Alamo, neither offer shuttle service to the pier. So, I'm wondering if I should just take a taxi from the airport to the pier. (That is, after returning the car I rented the night before to the airport.)

Can you tell me how much in general a taxi would be from FLL to Port Everglades (Holland America terminal)? Is my plan a good one?

Thrifty is your best bet as they still have an off-airport lot at the midport entrance, and have a shuttle... Otherwise a cab from the "Car Rental Center" at FLL to the usual HAL terminal is roughly $10-15, depends a bit on how long the wait is at the security checkpoint.

I'm really surprised there isn't a shuttle to the pier as it's only a 10 minute drive.

As far as the Ramada Plaza goes, I've stayed there several times, and it was satisfactory. It's right on the beach, and in a quiet safe area. There are lots of dining options on Commercial Blvd, turn left off A1A less than a mile north of the hotel. And if you continue on Commercial to Rt. 1 and go south (left), you will find anything and everything you could want. Then just turn left at Oakland Park or Sunrise Blvd back towards the ocean and A1A, then another left to get you back to the hotel.

Any particular kinds of places you are looking for?

Archived