Sovereign of the Seas Review

My husband and I sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas on 01/20/2006. We took Arts Shuttle to the port. We got there at about 12:00, and there was no line at all. We were on the ship within 10 minutes. We headed straight to the dining room to see where we were seated. And believe it or not we had the table for 2 we requested. We had lunch and hung out until 1:00pm and then went to our room. We had an interior room on deck 3. The rooms are small but we were comfortable enough.

We had beautiful weather in Nassau. We took the Nassau and Paradise Island Tour. I personally don’t recommend it. It was quite boring. We got off the tour in Paradise Island and explored on our own. We went to Atlantis and saw the Dig and aquarium. We then went to Columbus tavern, had some appetizers and drinks. It was nice because it was off the beaten path.

We weren’t as lucky with the weather in Coco Cay. It was cloudy and we had a drizzle at times. Other than that the island was beautiful. I’m sure it would be better enjoyed in warmer weather.

Disembarkation was as fast as the embarkation process was. We were out of our room by 8am and went to the windjammer. I must say I felt quite rushed by the staff this morning. We then went to the Boleros lounge and waited for our color to be called. All in all it wasn’t so bad. But I was so exhausted of going non-stop for three days that I had to upgrade my ticket to first to get some sleep on the way home.

I wouldn’t recommend a 3-day cruise unless that is all you could do for whatever reason. It was just too short. If you are short on time or money opt for at least a 4-day cruise instead.

I am not the OP but I can answer your questions. I have sailed her several times and just love her. You can call Art's Shuttles in Port Canaveral and make arrangements, or you can make arrangements through RCI for a shuttle. I have done both and like Art's, even with the "Parking Lot Mess" (it's under my most recent review of the Mariner of the Seas. I will spare you the details).

Yes you can take the RCI tour of just Atlantis. You can also do it on your own MUCH cheaper.

I took my boys (8 and 6) on the Mariner a few months ago (ready to go againt too) and they loved it. I think the RCI kids program is top notch.

Hi, I must say I agree! My first cruise was on Sov. & it was the 3-dayer. It was rushed, but I still had a blast. Then my next was a 7 day! We felt like we were on it for a month :D . Now we're going on Sov again for 4 days, & I think that'll be just enough time so we don't feel so rushed & can really enjoy and explore the ship.

I hope you enjoyed the trip regardless of the rush.

Thanks for the great information....as we will want to rent a car for our Disney end of the trip....

Our kids will be 11 and 7

If you do Atlantis thru the Cruise do you get to use part of the swimming area?

I have read that a shuttle thru RCCL is $64.00 roundtrip doesn't this seem high....

thanks!

With the four of you, it will be much cheaper to rent a car from Budget at the airport and drive to the Port. Drop off your luggage and one of you take the car over to Budget. Take the free shuttle back to the ship. On your return, one of you take the Budget shuttle to Budget, pick up another car, return to the port, pick the family and luggage up. Then use it for your four days and drop it off at the airport when you leave. This will save you hundreds of dollars. We did this last year with a van and it was very easy.

Enjoy your cruise.

Budget is about a mile from the port. At Orlando they are on-site. You can all take the shuttle to and from Budget if that makes it easier for you. The other option is to take the rental for the whole time and park it at the port for I think $10.00 a day. Thifty is cheaper, but they are off-site at the airport and further away from the port, but they also have a free shuttle.

I don't think they do. I checked my doc's from last year, and did not see it, nor is it on the website. Seems someone at Atlantis told me that the cruiselines don't want people to go to there, and I guess they couldn't swing a deal with them. There was something else the person told me, but I can't remember what it was...

When we were on Majesty in 2004 they only had the Atlantis for the Dig, not for the swimming area. We are going on Majesty again in March, and I have not seen anything like that listed for the Nassau excursions. The cheapest way that I have heard to get all access there is to book a room at the Comfort Inn that is on the grounds. I'm not sure how true that is, but I"m sure the Port of Call board would have some more details about how to go about it.

Archived